Why is The Transformers G1 Season 3 so disliked so much

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mcclot5472, Oct 22, 2014.

1. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Season 3 is my favorite season. It's not perfect, but I love it for its space opera feel and use of the movie characters. It could have used more of the other surviving pre-movie characters, which Five Faces of Darkness did well, but then they all faded into obscurity after that, and while some episodes were animated much, much better than others, it was still good times as far as I'm concerned.

2. Shockwave76

Shockwave76 Decepticon

I love G1 season 3. There is some great character development and some nice episodes. The "The Five Faces OF Darkness" is kind of crappy, but from then on it gets really good. Not sure why it doesn't get much love....

3. Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75 Master of the Rules.

Rodimus Prime, mostly shitty Akom animation, Rodimus Prime, Daniel Witwicky, Wheelie, Rodimus Prime....

4. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    I love Season 3.

5. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

im not sure I can believe it was "wrapping up" as you suggest.
    still twice as long as season 1 was.

6. donxavier

donxavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem with statements like this is that they're nebulous and solely based on opinion, but I'll take the proffered and obvious bait. Why do you believe that season three was when the show became "good"? I'm curious to know your thoughts.

Nothing changes for Rodimus in "Dark Awakening." He's still as insecure and doubting at the end of that episode as he is at its beginning. The only time he displays any confidence or command authority during DA is when he’s Hot Rod. Consider, it is Hot Rod, not Rodimus, that blasts through the locked doors of the bridge and commands Optimus to present himself "front and center." He then proceeds to fight Optimus to regain the Matrix, risking his life in a heroic fashion. The moment he’s back to being Rodimus, however, his doubts about whether he’ll ever be as good a leader as Optimus return, which goes right back to the same insecurities he’s had since day one. Nothing has changed and the status quo is maintained.

In the G1 series neither Rodimus or Optimus changed, not in any sustainable sense at least. Therefore you cannot disparage Optimus for a lack of change, yet give Rodimus a pass as he never experiences any change either beyond the confines of a single episode, and even that change is debatable. Rodimus is no different than Cliffjumper or Brawn or any other Autobot that was at the center of a particular episode, with any lessons learned during said episode quickly forgotten by the next.

The only real difference between Rodimus and Optimus was that Optimus knew who he was and had confidence in his abilities. He didn't whine and complain about having to lead because he understood his role and accepted it. I find that more interesting than watching someone who's constantly doubting themselves. I can only watch that for so long before it gets really old, show runner or no.

7. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I enjoyed season 3 but it came on the back of a huge movie event.

I don't think it ever recaptured that magic.

8. Catatronic

Catatronic Banned

G1 ended with the movie. The great war was over & they went into a new age of peace. Megatron, Galvatron & Unicron were defeated. There was no reason for season 3 & the writers didn't have a clue what to do with the franchise. And because of that season 3 was BORING AS HELL!!!

9. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Uh, no.

The difference between them is that Optimus knew he was the leader, had already grown into that role and come to accept his place. All this prior to the series (in the distant past), while with Rodimus we experienced it. Not as much as we shoud've, but still some part of it.

In the two years of the cartoon, nothing changed in Optimus his behaviour, his attitude or anything. He was a static character. Never changing, never evolving, he just stayed exactly the same...epsiode after episode, and even within the episode. There's no difference between Optimus Prime his character (or any aspect of him) between the very first episode and the very last. (Only in the movie is there a small change in that he now is convinced that Megatron had to be stopped no matter the cost, while before he wasn't willing to sacrifice anything (troops or his ethics), but now he claims he has...but he really hasn't.) And this isn't the result of bad writing or anything, it just his character. In that regard Optimus is extremely bland and boring.

Rodimus on the other hand, had a potentially interesting storyline. He always dreamed of becoming important and a great hero, and then he becomes the new leader. He becomes the hero of the Unicron fight and the leader of the Autobots, defeats Galvatron and drive the Decepticons almost into oblivion effectively reducing their threat to minor thugs. His troops love him and respect him. He has become what he wished for. (And there's no doubt in my mind that this first period of his leadership he was happy with his bigger, stronger body to do the things he always dreamed of.) And then there was peace. No more action to distract him, just procedures, meetings, protocol and other boring stuff. And he had to learn how to adapt to this new era. He had to learn to sit back and lead the Autobots in peacetime. (Considering the progress the Autobots made in restoring Cybertron and becoming a peaceful presence in the universe, he was very succesful.) But in this peacetime Rodimus had to learn to be a leader outside of the battlefield and to transform the Autobots from an army to a civilian population. And be a leader to that.

Rodimus Prime his story therefor, is one of learning, of constantly adapting. Learning how to be a leader, how to be more adult, how to take responsibility. Properly written, he would have a lot of character growth. In the movie we see him growing from a young enthusiatic teen to someone who can see beyond himself. The cartoon should've seen him grow (slowly) from a brand new inexperienced leader into a seasoned leader. Simply put: a season 3 under a main writer would've seen an inexperience and insecure Rodimus Prime slowly growing into a secure and confident leader (more like Optimus was).

And that makes Rodimus far more interesting as character than Optimus was or could be.

But of course, as we've seen, the show lacked a showrunner and thus the writer of the week took a look at Rodimus, saw in his bio that he had some insecurities and ran with that (because a flawed character is always more interesting than a flawless one). And thus we have Rodimus doubting himself in almost every episode he was in, learning his lesson one week, and be back to being insecure the next.

But in the few times Rodimus was well written (e.g. Dark Awakening, Burden Hardest to Bear, Ultimate weapon) we see him grow. He has depth to his character, he learns and he grows becoming a better person than he was at the beginning. And frankly, in each of these episodes Rodimus was a more rounded and real character than Optimus ever was. (Well, except maybe in Dark Awakening because I love what they did with the character of Optimus in that one.)

In an episode like "Burden Hardest to Bear" Rodimus had more character growth than any other character in season 1 or 2, and especially more than Optimus. It's true that in season 1 and 2 some characters also had character episode (Brawn accepting Perceptor's role, Cliffjumper agreeing that Mirage hadn't betrayed them, the Aerialbots willing to work with the Autobots), but that doesn't take away from the statement that as a character Rodimus is more interesting than Optimus. But with Rodimus this development is more a part of his character than with those others.

10. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    It's like nobody has ever even SEEN War Dawn. We see the growth that you so desperately advocate in Rodimus, and see what motivates Optimus to accept his role as leader. We also see more character growth in the Aerialbots than you see in Rodimus, mainly because it never got undone to maintain an extremely poor status quo. Hell, even Starscream got more characterization than Rodimus. Here's what you need to know about Rodimus, and all they give you: reckless hot shot who must learn responsibility because he's the magic mcguffin. In a serialized show back then, you had to maintain that.

Also, I liken Optimus Prime to someone like George Patton or Alexander of Macedon. They had themselves figured out early on, and were almost demigod-like in their superiority compared to others. They also had zero character growth. I fail to see how Optimus is less of a character for following that archetype.

11. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

There are people like myself who consider much of season 2 to be the more boring season. I guess I just liked the season three characters MUCH more than the majority of the season two characters. So I never really cared about seeing Grapple and Hoist being "Master Builders", Red Alert going "Auto Berserk". I have no idea what "The Girl Who Loved Powerglide" was thinking. There's others as well: "Sea Change", "Hoist Goes Hollywood".

12. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

-They killed/ written out most of the S1/ S2 cast except for The Dinobots, Protectobots, Arielebots, Bumblebee, Warpath, Cosmos, Omega Supreme, Blaster, Perceptor, Ramjet, Thrust, Dirge, Soundwave, The Stunticons, The Combaticons, The Constructicons, Rumble, Frenzy (?), Laserbeak, Ravage who still had actual roles and not just animation errors
    -AKOM did the animation more, with hilariously bad results sometimes (Carnage in C Minor)
    -No Optimus, Megatron, Starscream, etc. At lest at the end of the Marvel run, they brought back the Underbase wrecked Autobots (Decepticons weren't so lucky in Regeneration One, yet they where normal in G2)
    -why was the still considered a thing, even with Galvatron, the Decepticons went from ruling Cybertron to becoming essentially Raiders, attacking outposts or harassing Cybertron (depending on the writer also, sometimes I think a one armed Superion would have been able to turn the Decepticons back that season, or the Cons where still the Supreme Threat they where in Seasons 1,2 and Movie)
    -Wheelie and Daniel………need I say more?

13. Thunderthruster

Thunderthruster Autobot Supersoldier

News Credits:
    I love both of these S2 episodes.

14. Mcclot5472

Mcclot5472 Active Member

I just bought transformers season 3 and 25th anniversary box set off of shout factory. I just bought it and was 8 o clock a.m. here. I have overnight shipping so should I get my dvd set tomorrow because I ordered it so early today.

15. Mcclot5472

Mcclot5472 Active Member

I thought season 3 was ok. I remember when I was watching the original transformers season 3 online. My dad step dad who grew up watching the show told me to do myself a favor. watch the FFOD mini series then skip all of season 3 and watch the return of optimus prime 2 part episodes. He said season3 had mostly Rodmius whining and complaining about how he will never be the leader optimus was and Galvatron was going to spend the whole season shooting at his own men for the heck of it. I will say there some good episodes like Thief in the night, Grimlocks New Brain, I liked dark awakening, and few others. Starscream ghost episodes were alright though I thought they were kind of dumb.

16. Slingshot

Slingshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this is exactly why season 2 is my least favorite. It's kind of creepy how a "fleshling" can love a machine.

17. lockeddown

lockeddown Member

I liked season 3. There were some great episodes. Cyclonus and Scourge were leagues better than Thundercracker/Skywarp, and the humor was toned down. I would have liked more appearances from characters we got at the end of season 2, such as the aerialbots and the Stunticons, but overall I liked it.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Season 2's episodes were pretty damn nuts.

I think he 1986 cast was way more fleshed that almost all of the 85 cast. It probably helps That I think the 86 movie was the highlight of the Sunbow cartoon.

19. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 If you can read this, seek help.

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    Wow, this argument is still going?

20. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

It wasn't but I'm sure it's going to now.