Why is the IDW continuity considered G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by RonG, Jun 1, 2014.

1. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I too wonder why tfwiki doesn't separate IDW from G1, but there's no denying that the character designs and personalities of IDW are mostly lifted directly from G1 more than anything else.

Take Prowl, for example. When you look at Prowl in an IDW comic, does his look remind you of the character design of TF:Animated Prowl? Or Car Robots/RiD Prowl? No, it's clearly an updated design of the original, G1 Prowl. So I think that's why it's been lumped together. The similarities far outweigh the differences, as opposed to other alternate continuities.

2. mfontmt

mfontmt Member

I would like some help. So, I read Infiltration to All Hail Megatron and everything in between including all Spotlights and I loved it all. I love big story arcs. I'm also mainly a G1 fan. I absolutely hate the Bay movies and pretend they don't exist. When the IDW ongoing series started after All Hail Megatron, the series seemed to shift more to the Bay Movies than G1, even in art, and I just couldn't stand it and quit. I have heard that IDW has made many changes since then,so I am curious, being a fan of the Furman stories, would I like what's been going on in the last year or two of issues? I just don't want to go through all those issues only to find out it's still not what I was expecting, which is more like the art and writing of Furman's time. Please help.

3. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

All Hail Megatron was followed up by the Costa Ongoing that lasts about 30 issues. For the most part, it wasn't very good, although it did have a couple good ideas like Thundercracker working on his own. It was also during that time that James Roberts wrote Last Stand of the Wreckers, which is considered by many to be one of the best Transformers stories out there.

After the Ongoing there is the Death of Optimus Prime one-shot, which lays the groundwork for More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise, which are both great titles that have long storylines that you would probably enjoy.

4. mfontmt

mfontmt Member

Thanks for the reply. I did read Last stand of the wreckers since Springer is one of my favorites. So, I guess I will push through those 30 issues with Costa.

5. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I must just pull you on something there, James Roberts and Nick Roche wrote LSOTW. It was Nick's project originally and he brought James on board and they became co-writers. As much as I love JR, I see this happening a lot lately, and Nick deserves his credit too since it was very much his baby.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Well, "Continuity Family" is the key term there. A term tf wiki made up, by the way. And a meaningless term, imo. Because if you go by Japanese continuity, a LOT of things are connected to G1 somehow (like the Car Robots cartoon, for example), so there's almost no point in distinguishing anything if you want to lump things into "families".

The IDW comics are clearly inspired by G1, but so are a ton of other things, like Armada, the Bay movies, etc., etc. Calling the IDW comics "G1" is dumb, imo.

7. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And he also wrote/illustrated the awesome nightmare fuel that was Spotlight: Kup. If there is one thing I'm disappointed with about LSOTW, it is that we didn't get some more about that in the final product. (It played very heavily into part of the ending from Nick's original rough outline. As it is, knowing the events of that story will add a lot of subtext to a certain character's dialogue.)

8. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Absolutely. I didn't originally read SL:Kup until after I'd read Wreckers, and then it was an 'Ahhhhh, so that's why!' moment. In the first draft he actually did what he was intending to do, didn't he?

9. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

with out getting into IDW's inclusion into the G1 family of continuity", I can not agree that its a meaningless term.

with so many different continuities, from different incarnations and interpretations of the brand, the term "continuity family" becomes a rather effective tool when trying to identify and discuss the franchise.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    And for the billionth time, I think it ADDS way more confusion than it could ever solve.

What connection do the IDW comics have to the original G1 continuities? Effectively none. So what confusion is alleviated by lumping them together? An "effective tool" to do what, exactly?

If you make a list of TF things, series/comics/etc., that have some link to G1, that list will be MUCH longer than the list of things/series/comics/etc., that don't. So how exactly is it helping you to identify, classify or discuss? It's not. Instead of discussing each thing AS it's own thing, you'd have us combine things that don't fit and imply connections that aren't there. The entire idea is ill-conceived.

We all understand that the Marvel US G1 comics are a separate continuity from the Sunbow cartoon. It's understood. It's not a confusing idea. So how does it help anyone or anything to muddle that simple fact and add a label which clarifies nothing about the already easily-understood idea?

11. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry because I know this is going to sound rude..................but did you even read the first few words of my post?
    did you understand it?

here it is again.

"with out getting into IDW's inclusion into the G1 family of continuity"," I can not agree that its a meaningless term.

it means I wasnt trying to comment on IDW's story being included into the "family".

"What connection does the IDW comics have to the original G1"?.......I do believe many other posters/members have effectively answered that question.yes, IDW has taken a number of "new turns" but they still seem to be on a G1 road.And while you say other series were inspired by G1 in some way as well, I feel many of the post made on this topic establishes that IDW's "G1" books are more then inspired, if such a thing can truly be said, at least idw is more strongly inspired.

as to how the term helps
    how many times has someone ked a question, or started a thread saying..............."whos your faviorte character?" or "whats up with grimlock". or a million other questions that can be applied to just about every TF series.

if they had narrowed the field by adding "g family" or "Unicron trilogy family" it would at least begin to bring said conversation into focus.At the very least it would reduce the number of "which series/continuity" replies.

oh, and by the way, not everyone fully understands the concept of seprate continuities.Just recently I was looking through older topics and post on this very site.I found a number of people needing to be explained how and why they were separate.I even found 1 member, who shall remain nameless, that argued that every G1 story, comic,toon,coloring book were all continuity, but that the stories contradicted each other.

so the term in question can be useful in a conversation.Particularly with a new fan.