Why is Takara Legends Blurr so ridiculously overpriced?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BB Shockwave, Sep 27, 2016.

1. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I seriously don't get it. In previous Takara releases, the deluxes weren't this expensive. Heck, even in the current wave, you can get Skullcruncher and Hardhead for relatively cheap prices. But I haven't seen Blurr go for less than 55-60$. That is a ridiculous price for a Deluxe. Especially considering how you could get the Takara femmecons (Blackarachnia, Slipstream, Nightbeard) for about 30$, and one would expect demand was much higher for those.

Transformers Takara Tomy Japan Legends Action Figure LG25 Blurr In Stock Uk
    Transformers Takara Tomy Japan Legends Action Figure LG25 Blurr In Stock NEW!!

And it seems even the Chinese factory-raiders are failing us, there are loose Skullcrunchers and Hardheads out, but I have never seen a Blurr or Scourge listed.

Cartoon-accurate colors or not, I just don't think western fan interest alone is enough to mandate this ridiculous doubling in price.

In comparison, you can get Legends Hardhead for just 30$ with free shipping.
    New bulk!Transformers Legends LG-21 Takara Tomy

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Um, supply and demand?

3. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Despite what you're thinking, apparently demand was not much higher for the second bunch of Legends fembots than it's been for Blurr. I don't see why you'd use those as a barometer for Blurr though, since I don't recall those three ever selling as quickly as Legends Arcee did.

One way or another, it's a popular release, period. Maybe Takara didn't anticipate the popularity of Blurr, so what stock that's out there was gobbled up much more quickly. Maybe North American & UK online retailers are ordering less Takara stuff due to a variety of reasons (not wanting to get stuck with leftover stock, the change in the exchange rate, not anticipating its popularity). I don't know the reasons, but whatever's going on, Blurr's selling well.

Checking Mandarake, there's exactly one currently on the site for 3800 yen, but they've sold two recently for 3300 & 2800 yen, so with cheap shipping you could get it around 40ish shipped if that's still going to be the normal price they list it at when they get more in.

まんだらけ通販

Either way, this thing is moving product. I wouldn't like the idea of paying $50-60 for this either, but if more stock doesn't show up (BBTS has it as a sold out preorder currently, as does TCP, so maybe more stock will be showing up at some point) and prices don't dip, you could be stuck with Legends Blurrs in that range for a while, whether you agree with that price range or not.

4. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Actually, the previous wave (Hardhead, et al) WERE popular and sold out during the pre-order stage. I couldn't get them ANYWHERE in Japan, either online or in the flagship shops in Tokyo, without paying around 40-50 dollars for them. It was ridiculous.

I guess that the "2010" TFs, which features in Japan's first "Japan only" series (breaking away from the American show) is still extremely popular with Japanese/Oriental collectors in Asia, and/or the scalpers just went mad. I had to pre-order many of my Japanese "Titans Return" style toys at Toys R Us, because Amazon Japan, my usual haunt, was sold out for the pre-orders.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  5. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I paid 2500 yen (about $25) for mine at HobbyLinkJapan. BBTS, TFSource and TCP had it up for preorder at $29.99, CP had it up for $28. And now he's sold out everywhere. So supply and demand plus you are looking at aftermarket Ebay prices and not MSRP.

6. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    There's always the off chance TT will do additional runs if it keeps selling. On the other hand, you can always buy the Hasbro version and get the Reprolabels decals to break up the blue a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tholmes6

tholmes6 (Head) Master Stylist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, I loves me some Nightbeard!

• Like Like x 3
  8. robb0429

robb0429 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I got mine on HLJ for 2500 yen, so youre probs looking at secondary market prices. He's probably so expensive simply because, in my opinion, he's one of the coolest looking decos of the new TR line. It's already a cool mold, but personally I think Hasbro's "paint"job looks pretty dull and boring.

9. Chronix

Chronix Well-Known Member

KapowToys has him for £30.
    Still a lot, but it's something.

10. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    Because you're looking at secondary market prices for a rather popular toy. That's about it.
    Meanwhile I bought LG Hardhead, Skullcruncher, Blurr, and Scourge from UK online retailers, and the most I paid for any of them was £27.99 (not including postage, £32.94 with).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Fucking scalpers.

If you think that price is too high, don't pay it. I'm sure that just like Arcee, TakTom will reissue him and resaturate the market pushing prices back down.

• Like Like x 1
  12. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    They're overpriced because they know Takara diehards will pay for it.

13. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I mean, he's also pretty much the only TR figure that is almost unequivocally better than the Hasbro release. Most of the Takara heads are a matter of preference, but Takara's Blurr fixes the almost universal complaint about him being too blue (which isn't even the right shade of blue).

I'm honestly not surprised.

• Like Like x 2
  14. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    yeah, i think it's because, where as a lot of the other Legends/Titans Return comparisons was more of a preference, the Blurr deco is just balls-out spectacular compared to the fairly lame and kinda-teal-instead-of-blue Hasbro version. I'd imagine folks that are even only occasional importers might have been tempted to go with him.

LG Blur looks like he ran straight out of an animation cell.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    But, I thought Hasbro Blurr was the better Blurr? :confused2 

Eh, I don't know how thinks work when it comes to ordering Takara figures (or importing in general). But I would say wait and see if some other place who has it like sold out or something gets more, maybe wait for another cheaper option? Or maybe pay the 60 some dollars? I wouldn't but hey if people really want a figure with just a bit of paint difference for over 40 dollars more then hey its their money.

16. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    This meme is getting really old. You don't want to preorder or pay retail at release? Fine. Just don't cry when you can't get your toy for free once they sell out. Not being rewarded for dragging your feet does not make you a victim of the scalping boogeyman.

And you, BB Shockwave, did it ever occur to you that the Takara deco is miles away from the unpainted dollar store version from Hasbro?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

It's probably a combination of Blurr being more popular than Takara realized, as well the fact that the Hasbro version well, stinks. There is always a chance, however, that Takara might rerelease it like they did with Arcee.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hidden added mass due to approaching the speed of light.

19. Rockdown

Rockdown Dream Commander

Ebay:
    In hand, I prefer the Hasbro version.

20. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

I wish mine would just ship for Gods sake! Stupid me had stack turned off at TFS and now I have to wait until they get Legends Wheelie in before my Blurr ships with it. And seriously they are like the last retailer left that hasn't gotten legends Wheelie in yet.