Why is Star Wars awesome?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hotshotprime43, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

I LOVE STAR WARS! a lot. Like worship the original trilogy as if its the bible. But unfortunately my generation is filled with morons who can't appreciate Star Wars anymore because all they see is a franchise for kids and nerds now. I now about 10+ people who never seen Star Wars or at least A New Hope (One guys on seen The Phantom Menace and won't give others a chance). Of course when I try to convince people they usually don't take me seriously. So I ask of you guys to write well developed ideas why Star Wars (At least the original trilogy is a masterpiece.

2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Because it's a great universe-building saga, with some great engaging characters, and a great coming-of-age tale as at the core of STAR WARS, one hero descends into villainy and his son rises to warrior sainthood.

(as you may surmise, I enjoy both trilogies).

3. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Better question: Why ISN'T it awesome?!

4. Hotshotprime43

Like I said a I apologize for the stupidity of people in my age range.

5. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Star Wars has a rich and engaging universe with loveable characters and a fun adventure story. If you understand literature, mythology, religion, or history, there are plenty of things to look for in Star Wars that are reminiscent of elements of those topics. It also has cool sci-fi technology such as the death star and the iconic lightsaber.

6. Janitor

News Credits:
    No apologies necessary.

I loved the OT as a kid, ESB was/still is one of my favorite movies. My wife's actually watched NONE of the old films either, but that'll be fixed soon (have both trilogy bluray sets waiting, wish it was the unaltered versions though).

7. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

You may have trouble convincing people of this generation that have not seen it, because there's too much story, not enough explosions, too long, and not enough "mature situations".

It's easier to convince them, if they had watched The Clone Wars...and are familar with the characters and universe.

8. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Cause it's a perfect mix of sci-fi and fantasy.

9. Janitor

News Credits:
    I don't really follow any of the other Star Wars stuff though: Clone Wars, books, toys, etc. Unless you count the old Droids and Ewoks cartoons, both of which I didn't really care for and watched only because "Transformers wasn't on" lol

Also debating going the Machete Order. Anyone done it/thoughts?

10. Hotshotprime43

I say watch ANH and then ESTB is a must. If you to go in and add Ep II and III then go back to ROTJ go ahead. As long as she see ANH and Empire first. Unless she already knows who Vader is then doesn't matter if you start at episode 4 or 1 in my opinion.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    It's an age thing, pure & simple. For many of us "older" people, we remember when Star Wars was THE movie that changed everything in way of special effects, sci-fi action & adventure, etc. But nowadays, kids see realistic CGI dinosaurs, robots, space fights, etc. before they even get out of bed... with their iDevices... filled with digital everything. That wasn't our world, but it IS theirs, so that can't & won't ever appreciate the world change that we did when we all saw things like Star Wars.

12. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

No, I'd recommend to anyone that hasn't seen them, to watch them in the theatrical release order.

As to why Star Wars is awesome... well, it's awesome to those that appreciate it, but not everyone has to. It still has legions of fans, across the globe, and I've never been all that interested in "converting the non-believers".

13. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Agreed on watching them in chronological order, not some made up order. I find it best to see Anakin's fall and then see Luke faced with a lot of the same decisions, only to make the right decision when it truly mattered. Anakin was really manipulated by both the Jedi and the Sith and I find it really interesting that when given his options, destroy the his father and the Sith or join them, Luke chose to forge his own path and do the unthinkable - bring Anakin back to the light.

14. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Best advice I can ever give you, and something I learned being a comic book reader growing up in the rural South. Stop trying to convince people and/or needing people to love the same things that you do. Enjoy what you love, and if people don't want to give it a shot, then fuck em...it's their loss.

As to why it's awesome; it's fucking Star Wars. That's all the reason it needs.

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

star wars was awesome.

then it got mutilated.

now i can't watch star wars unless i watch it on vhs.

16. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

So buy every new version and record it onto a VHS tape. Problem solved, heh.

I don't see the need to convince anyone to see it, or to explain to anyone why they should like it upon viewing it.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It's awesome because it changed cinema forever as we know it.

Plus the original trilogy kicks all sorts of ass.

18. The touch79

The touch79 Sparticon

I think its awesome that the movies consist of a small group of characters from very diverse backgrounds and are able to put their differences aside, focus on their strengths, and fight the challenges that are presented.

19. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Perhaps because the original trilogy is an example of perfect narrative storytelling, on the level of Shakespeare. In fact, what Shakespeare was to the written word, Star Wars is to visual storytelling.

I'm dead serious.

20. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i fail to see how that solves my problem.