Why is movie optimus so weak?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Militant, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Militant

Militant Police

Anyone else annoyed at how optimus ALWAYS needs help in defeating his enemies?

tf07- sam killed megatron
    ROTF- revived by sam, used jetfire's parts to kill the fallen
    DOTM- megatron saved his ass
    AOE- tessa helped pull the sword out of him so he could backstab lockdown

Its hard to take a leader seriously when he can't even fight his own battles

2. Apocalyptic PhD

Apocalyptic PhD Adamite

Because his biggest enemies are usually on his league or above, also for dramatic plot purposes. And because it's a movie there's not much development to foresee. Just arbitrary big bad guy enemy who somewhat get's the upper hand first. That's my take.

FINAL EDIT

Let someone else explain it in fictitious lore.

3. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

Its weird because people also complain about him being overpowered.

ROTF - Forest Fight
    DOTM - VS Megatron
    AOE - VS Grimlock

4. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  5. Militant

Militant Police

He's a prime, beating three deceptions at once shouldn't be considered a large feat. And DOTM megatron was a pile of rust, wouldn't take much to beat him. Though I do agree that his fight with grimlock was lame

I was referring to his main opponents, not nameless drones

6. Apocalyptic PhD

Apocalyptic PhD Adamite

MasterZero is right on Grimlock, Optimus should have toyed with Lock-Down in the final fight if he could. Doesn't have to make sense though.

7. MasterZero

I don't see why it shouldn't considering one is the leader of the Decepticons, and the other is the ex-leader of the Cons.

8. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk Squid Kid

News Credits:
    You're kidding.
    RotF, he took on the enemy leader, his second in command, and a giant mook with little effort. He only goes down after being distracted.
    DotM, he slaughters a line of maybe 10-15 mooks in a foe tossing charge, and downs a ton of fighters with a gun.
    AoE, he beats down a giant T. rex and rides him to battle against a horde of drones.

Any bot who can take on Optimus and almost win just sets him up as a HUGE threat.

9. MasterZero

And Shockwave and the Driller. Don't forget them.

Despite Shockwave's lack of spotlight, its clear he's at least no mook.

10. Apocalyptic PhD

Apocalyptic PhD Adamite

In theory.
    Megatron was revived with a massive relatively over-weight canon attached to a sword that doesn't do him much good with a lack of proper practicality IMO against a quick bruising fighter like Optimus. RoTF Megatron seemed like he was fighting like a sloppy tank, a good counter to Optimus is another good bruiser like Sentinel, Lock-Down, 07-Megatron and AoE-Galvatron. Other shitty builds of a Cybertronian warrior against Optimus would be a skeletal stick-man like The-Fallen. Megatron seemed like he's not even used to his new body, while Galvatron designed his body to Counter Optimus and disarm him with his Chest-hole.

I can see why RoTF Megatron is pathetic, even if it wasn't intended it makes more sense.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The truth is simply that Optimus gains power depending on the script - one minute he can survive being shot through the chest (AOE) - the next a simple stabbing kills him (ROTF)

All examples posted so far only show to highlight this - OPTIMUS DOES WHAT THE PLOT REQUIRES, HIS POWER LEVEL VARIES

Logically Optimus should have been able to easily beat Lockdown - or at least pull the sword out of his chest - however he cant because of the script.

Logically if Optimus can over-power and kill Grindor and fight off Megatron and Starscream he should have been able to kill Megatron in the first film.

Etc...

12. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

Then got shot.

13. Megatron276

Megatron276 destroyer

I see it as in 2007 optimus was not as upgraded/ strong as he is in the sequels so megatron was stronger. In rotf he needed jetfire to beat the fallen. In dotm sentinel is his teacher/father figure which I'm sure knows his moves/fighting style and should be able to best him. In aoe lockdown is a trained professional who has been doing this for a long time(probably before the war even started). He beat megatron in rotf because he simply outgrew him in strength over two years. Megatron was dead optimus was traing/upgrading. Sentinel knows prime too well to be beaten like megatron was. Look how close prime and galvatron were in aoe. I bet that's due to megatron upgrading himself for his new body

14. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    As with most fictional characters, including probably the original Optimus, he's powerful when he needs to be, and weak when he needs to be.

15. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

well to be fair shockwave was pretty much defeated by the time optimus reached him.

16. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

What does that even mean?

17. MasterZero

All fictional characters are as strong as the plot needs them to be. Goku, Spider-man, Superman, and the such. If the plot needs them to fail at first, only to gain a Second Wind, they will. If the plot needs them to die, they will. If the plot needs them to win easily, they will.

18. Militant

Militant Police

OP's power levels depend on whatever is convenient for the script

19. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

I don't think he's weak at all. In fact, I think Prime's overpowering is a major flaw with RotF and DotM. Action scenes are no fun when the conclusion is foregone, and by making your hero an ultra badass, you rip away everything that makes a fight scene dramatic. '07 didn't have this issue, and neither did AoE.

So no, I don't think Prime is "too weak".

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dragonzzilla

Dragonzzilla Well-Known Member

Didn't the movies mainstream Optimus being a badass and or remind us why he's one of the strongest Autobots in the series?