Why is Marvel better than the Transformers franchise?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Allfader93, Jun 30, 2014.

1. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

In my opinion: Transformers > Marvel

-Whips out the sword of judgement and defends myself from the hate-

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    You bastard, you have an opinion!?

Cool :) 

3. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because they kept their franchises up in the cabinet where Michael Bay couldn't reach them.

4. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Because Marvel thinks their stuff out, they have good writers, good directors, you can tell what's going on, they stick to the freakin' classic story, and they try. Transformers doesn't try. It all revolves around explosions, huge, loud, action scenes, and silly humor, and they don't even try to come up with a decent plot, or characters. I hope to heck Bay gets fired, and someone with brains takes the franchise over.

5. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos New Holder of the Matrix of Leakership

News Credits:
    Of ONE franchise (ok, two, but they are quiet right now about X-Men).

But us? This fandom is full of people that hate EVERYTHING. Worse, we actively seek out to make others feel bad for enjoying things. I like the movie... in fact I loved it. But this site makes me feel like I should be ashamed for enjoying it. People actively spend time insulting not just the movie but fellow fans. You can't have a civil conversation about it or even attempt to say "Well, actually I like this" without snide comments being hurled at you right left and center.

THAT is what is different about Marvel fans and us. They at least, more often than not, root for their films and properties. We take joy in insulting them...and fellow fans.

EDIT: I am not saying that we have to be like some fandoms, like...shudder... Twilight... who are blind to the failings of their chosen passion. Far from it. But at the very least it would be nice that we could get one news story where a good third of the fandom isn't screaming bloody murder.

Yes, because I loved that comic where the Mandarin was revealed to be a drunk British guy. Or when the infinite stone was magic red fog.

6. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personal taste, but of all marvel franchisesb and sequels combined don't even hold a candle to TDK trilogy.

Oh and TFs over Marvel any day, IMO

• Like Like x 1
  7. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

I know... Everyones greatest enemy... An opinion!

8. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Because the Marvel movies have tight narratives about well thought out characters with underlying resonant themes and are sort of what storytelling exists for?

Whereas the Transformers movies are just 2 and a half hours of indulging the audience?

I'm surprised MORE people don't prefer Transformers. And yet most people I talk to understand that while they have fun watching these movies, that the Marvel films are just better. Which warms my heart. We all have an underlying understanding of storytelling mechanisms.

9. Magnahide

Magnahide Maximal Commander

Because the Marvel stories are easier to follow and they haven't really deviated from the "source material" very much.

10. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I think the amount of vitriol is directly proportionate to the amount that is wrong with the franchise. The problem is people tend to take an attack on the quality of the film as an insult if they happen to like the film. It's ok to like movies that are bad. I like B-Movies alot, but there has to be a narrative, or characters for me to latch on to an enjoy. Some people hate the movies I like, and that doesn't bother me. I understand. I can't handle when people use pointless arguments as opposed to defending the good points or just agreeing to disagree.

Going after a professional critic for pointing out valid issues with a movie is like telling a mechanic you don't want to fix a flat because you like the look of it and clearly he doesn't know what he's talking about.

11. Mr. Chaos

News Credits:
    Again, I agree because I LOVED the Extremis arc where Tony didn't get Extremis at all and Killian is the major villain who uses the Iron Patriot armor he stole from Rhodey and created the Mandarin.

Oh wait... that never happened. Killian died in the very first issue. Iron Patriot is Norman Osborn. Extremis doesn't grant fire powers. Tony DID get Extremis. The Mandarin didn't even appear and wasn't a drunk brit.

But hey, other than that they TOTALLY stuck with the source material.

Oh, and a bonus! Marvel is better because they, unlike Transformers, don't randomly use names of established characters in their movies for random characters.

Oh wait... Shane Black, director of Iron man 3, admitted he did just that... and acted like it wasn't a big deal at all.

I'm not talking about professonial critics or even people like you, Gone. (huh, weird... Mister Chaos and Mister Gone are having a conversation... neat). You are polite and reasonable. I am talking about the people that are like dobermans going into a popcorn bag, who... well, act just as stupid and 2-dimesnionally as the movies they claim to hate.

I disagree 100% with you... maybe it is because I am a writer and thus it is easy for me to fill in stuff in my head. You see a plot hole and I just go "Oh, well I assume blank and blank happened" and I am completely satisfied. Doesn't mean either of us are wrong. And the way you handle yourself is fine... an example of a GOOD fan of this world.

But even you have to admit there are fans on here who actively hate EVERYTHING that isn't 100% G1. And they seek out and attack stuff and purposely troll JUST to mock people.

12. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because Marvel has planned out their movies!

13. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

Marvel films aren't perfect.

Look at the mandarin... Completely ruined.

The Iron man films are pretty much the same.
    Tony Stark pisses someone off>they want to kill him>Tony nearly fails>pepper helps to save the day>boring villain dies.

After 1 or 2 viewings I find Avengers boring... The action is average (except Hulk, the only character I cared for). Hawkeye was dull...oh no he's a baddy now...oh wait, blackwiddow just had to knock him out...he's fine. Iron man vs Thor was decent.

Iron man's suit in IM3 is crap! The kid was annoying! War machine/iron patriot was a waste.

Never cared for the captain america films.

The only known villain is Loki... And he's boring now! He was crap in Avengers!

In the spider-man trilogy with Toby...the villains are basically the same! They know Peter>they become bad>they fight Spiderman>they know Peter is spiderman>they capture Mary Jane>they feel bad>they redeem themselves>they die. *yawn*

I never liked x-men.

I just don't really care for Marvel... The movies are easy to forget.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Because with the MCU there is a vision and an endgame for them to do.

Most of the Transformers series is made up as there going along, without a thought to the continuity before.

15. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - better characters
    - better plot
    - better actors
    - better promotion
    - best designs
    - better CGI
    - better use of practical effects
    - better at planning out their movies

16. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

This canĀ“t be stressed enough. I mean even when a writer shows an endgame for TF fiction instead of making up as he goes along (Roberts), people still bitch about it.

17. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    With the Marvel movies, I feel like they lead somewhere and develop the world. They build towards something. With Transformers, I feel like we haven't learned much or evolved much further than the first movie. Though hopefully that'll change if the Quints are introduced and maybe they will explain what the Allspark was, where it came from etc. But so far it seems like in each film their is a mcguffin which is then pretty much forgotten about by the next movie so they can move on to the next mcguffin and retread the same story over.

Saying this, I don't think Marvel are perfect. The Iron Man sequels and Thor movies don't really do anything for me and there have been a few duds inthe X-men and Spider-man franchise. They do at least have interesting characters that I can empathize with.
    My biggest problem with the TF movies is lack of 3 dimensional characters that grow and evolve.

18. ironguymanpie

ironguymanpie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Captain america the winter soldier is so the best film I've seen this year, transformers 4 is my favorite film of the year. If the transformers films had winter soldier level writing and pacing, it would also be my personal best film of the year

19. Mr. Chaos

News Credits:
    As much as I enjoy this... yes, a thousand times yes. I am doing, over in my fan-comic thread, my breakdown of how I would do the first three movies (I have to keep the basic plot and can't introduce characters but I can add new scenes, delete characters, and move around when transformers appear) and I amazed how well my treatment of ROTF was when i knew what was going to happen next. Hell, right now it is the favorite of my treatments.

Personally, I do think they need a new writer and Hasbro needs to set up where the three films will go, set up goal posts, and hire someone to do the personal stuff. Bay is great at action... but get someone else in to do the interpersonal human stuff.

20. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:

Lol, probably why we get along, I write as well. Opposite end of the spectrum though. I write scripts and when see a plot hole it glares at me. Someone was paid a lot of money to NOT have that happen(that should be my money Dammit :D ). I usually write 2 or 3 better treatments in my head to fill the gap, then give a mental middle finger to Hollywood for each one I catch.