Why is it so hard for M. Bay to see Grimlock & Dinobots in a TF film?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OmegaWolverine, Apr 19, 2012.

1. OmegaWolverine

OmegaWolverine Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why Bay hates to put Grimlock and/or any dinobots in his TF movies? Some say that it would be very arkward to see robotic dinosaurs to roam/walk among city buildings and military bases. I remember Bay said that he wants to make the premise of his films more realistic so no dinobots.

For me, If die hard TF fans want Grimlock and the rest of dinobots I put them in the movies. Also, to make it realistic I can make Grimlock and the dinobots be triple changers, 1. robot mode, 2. dinosaur mode and 3. vehicle mode. That would be more reasonable.

If you have your way, Would you add Grimlock and dinobots in the TF films?

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    No. I agree with Bay. Dinosaurs don't fit in anywhere, that'd be ridiculous.

3. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    probably because he doesn't want to have to explain how Transformers knew about dinosaurs on earth so long ago and do it in a way that would make the fans happy.
    You can't please 100% of the people and that includes the transformers fandom
    If you do one thing to please this part of the fandom then you piss off the other part of the fandom, and then if you do the other thing for the other part of the fandom then you piss off the other part. It's a no win situation and like Bay or not that is what you get. So Dinobots are a bit harder to explain and he probably figures he can't explain dinobots in a fashion that would do justice to the canon fandom and doesn't want to get buried in it, can't say I blame him.

4. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    even the writers of the first 2 film dont see how the dinobots would work in a live action continuty

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    He has no imagination.

Realistic, my foot. Realism went out the window long ago where it comes to Bayformers.

A bit too crowded. I'd keep it simple: dino mode, robot mode. Don't fix what ain't broken.

Hell yes.

6. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member

It's not tough to figure this out. Grimlock is arrogant and wouldn't consider hiding from humans. That said, he would go for power and intimidation,which the dino-modes convey. The dino-modes could be cybertronian (Ravage and Laserbeak had cybertronian panther and vulture modes). Earth dino modes aren't that far fetched, given a Decepticon was able to take on the appearance of an earth female.

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Because despite how he may act at some times, he's not 12 years old. You don't just add dinosaurs to something and get instant awesome. Look at how much Fall of Cybertron has to work around just to make these bit characters make sense in-universe.

8. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Some runaway energon + the animatronic dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park ride at Universal Studios + ??? = PROFIT!

9. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Or he just doesn't want to do Dinobots. And guess what! He said so himself.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd imagine if Hasbro demanded Dinobots be included in the next movie Bay would probably have to do it regardless of if he liked them or not. That doesn't mean he'd do them any justice or respect them or not just go ahead and kill them in lame ways though. He apparently didn't particularly like Arcee and look at what happened to her.
    I honestly can't imagine Bay gives a crap about pleasing fans or worrying if something he does might piss them off. If he suddenly wanted to include Dinobots he'd just go ahead and do it. The explanation would be like for anything else he decides to include: 'There are these things in this movie now. Roll with it'.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

To put it bluntly, a lack of imagination. Micheal Bay has a ton of imagination when it comes to a special effects shot but if you look at all his other work there just isn't a lot of imagination there. The wow and wonder moments all come the dazzle of an effects shot.

The realism boat took off a long time ago. Battle in a major city that the all powerful US government can totally cover up. Broadcast to every nation on Earth that everyone seems to have conveniently forgot about by the third film. NASCAR cars driving down the street. Cybertron that close to Earth with no gravitational effects. A magic cube. Robot heaven. Resurrections getting handed out like candy. If the Transformers movies are realist then I'm the queen of England and I can sing like Freddy Mercury from Queen.

12. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Maybe because he doesn't want to? It's everywhere in his right to say that he dislikes the concept of the Dinobots. Because *gasp* it's his opinion.

Yes, there's lots of ways that they could be in the movie (and I'd sort of like to see them in there), but so what? A lot of things could be in a lot of movies but aren't because the director chooses not to. (I like to emphasize certain words.) He just needs to sit down with Farrar and Spielberg to think of ways to 'make it real'. It just takes some thinking and rationalizing to find a realistic way to do things, which Bay apparently doesn't want to do because he doesn't feel the need to include them.

Shane Black doesn't care for having The Mandarin as a villain.

Joe Johnston wanted a Spinosaurus to kill the Tyrannosaurus in JPIII.

Branagh obviously didn't feel the need to put The Enchantress in Thor.

Wanna' know what filmmaking is? Among other things, it's taking a million different ideas and having to sort through them and decide what you want and what you don't. There's always going to be things left out.

So what if he doesn't think they'd work? If they do end up being in TF4, then surprise! They do work! And we get Dinobots! If they don't appear in TF4, then I guess we'll never know for sure if they'd work or not.

13. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ditto all those who said lack of imagination.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Just because it wasn't mentioned and we never saw it, that doesn't mean it never happened. :p 
    This is it for me - according to some people some things can apparently never work in a live-action Transformers movie. Until they get done by Bay and then suddenly those people go of course it would work.
    I think until it happens and is proved to work or not then the success or failure of a particular thing in a live-action movie is in flux. It both will and won't work simultaneously until we see it actually done in a movie and the status is confirmed either way. It's Schrödinger's BayFormers. :p 

15. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Surely the cat is well and truly out of the bag now as to the existence of Cybertronians, so I could easily see a Dinobot making an appearance. If Bay has said he can't see one happening then we probably won't see one sadly.

16. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

And a robotic scorpion and the Driller just fit perfectly, right?
    Yea, Dinobots would work just fine.

Just bc Bay lacks the talent and the imagination to make it work, doesn't mean it can't.

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alien kill machines are one thing.

Giant robot dinosaurs stomping around that are supposed to be the heroes just seems silly. Also, it de-emphasizes the "Transformer" aspect of it because they've got little reason to do so, when both modes are equally stompy. It doesn't make much sense from a visual, visceral standpoint. A car transforming to suddenly do a flying body-tackle is visually exciting. A charging dinosaur suddenly standing on two legs... isn't.

I fully agree, the Dinobots as-is are a poor fit for the live-action universe.

18. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Ah, yes. I'm always reminded of robot scorpions, robot spiky-cats, robot vultures and death drill worms. This proves that these sorts of characters can be in the movie even without justification as to why/how they exist. He's proven that they can be done, so I still think it boils down to the fact that he simply doesn't want to include them based on personal preference.

That's a surprisingly apt description.

19. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the Dinobots would work just as well as that four-legged Transformer at the beginning of DOTM. Instead of thinking about doing the Dinobots as recognizable dinosaurs (because Bay's never been strong on making the characters recognizable), think about doing them as more monster-like, nontraditional Transformers whose dinosaurian modes ARE their "robot" modes, and then give them traditional vehicle modes. Kind of like the Hatchet toy.

If Bay could deliver me a Grimlock with a vaguely Tyrannosaurian "robot" mode that transforms into a tank, or whatever, that's close enough for me. Grimlock's been a tank before anyway.

20. RoadBuster88

RoadBuster88 Studio Ghibli

A sad, sad day for the JP franchise :cry