Why is Henkei more expensive than Masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dark Jedi, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because people will pay a premium before committing the blasphemy of "gasp" mixing lines.

And everyone kind of decided en masse that "Classics isn't MP" around here about in 2010 or so...

As someone who primarily collects Classics myself, I couldn't abide paying a premium for an inferior figure of the same character. I'm guessing if more people were like me, you wouldn't see such high prices.

But maybe that's not true. After all, many think that G1 originals are "worse" but pay top dollar for them. In collecting, the rarity and historic value of a figure is often more important than the quality of its sculpt and all that.

2. C310 Ginrai

C310 Ginrai Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    It really depends on where you shop. If you are diligent, you can find pretty good deals on Japanese secondary market websites (I.E. Mandarake, Yahoo Japan Auctions).

Older CHUG era deluxe go for 2000 to 6000 yen depending on the figure. I can't remember the last time I saw Henkei Smoke Screen though.

3. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Among retail releases, I would figure Smokescreen still?

Overall, either Convoy Clear Version or Wildrider.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I suspect you're being a bit cheeky here, but Classics nor its later forms never really touted itself as "Masterpiece" from the get go. Once Universe 2.0 really got the ball rolling after picking up from the infamous Botcon "Games of Deception" set, it firmly established itself as the "modern update" line, trumping Alternators/Binaltech for the title. Masterpiece was still a novelty line at the time, and in some respects continues to be.

Ever since I've been into the line, I've been even much more ambivalent, and my purchases reflect this as well as your own sentiment. I never could justify spending at least double on a figure just to have a better deco or whatever. Despite all of this, even the US line has started to get some tread and prices have increased.

I won't really respond other than saying that "value" is determined in a lot of different ways. I think you raise some valid points just here, but I'm simply trying to keep my reply much more brief than the last post :) 

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ow, quit it. I need those brain cells!

6. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Henkei is more expensive? That's really hard to believe.

7. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Either you haven't been shopping around for Henkei or you are clueless about current market prices. Sure you can get loose figures for cheap when they become available. But a MISB Henkei Prowl will probably cost you more than MP-17.

8. GunBusterX

GunBusterX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sarcasm?

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Oddly enough, I think ALT/BT was a combination of MP and Classicverse, and the existence of both those lines are what completely killed my interest in ALT/BT. I once had lofty goals of chasing down all the Subaru molds and doing some hefty partswapping to get the stuff I truly wanted, but at the end of the day, between the sheer scope of Classiverse and the detail and expanded roster of the MP line I walked away from ALT/BT and never looked back.

10. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Why can't I buy bitcoins when they were 12 dollars each a few years ago? Why do I have to buy them at their prices now?