Why I won't sell my Binaltech - Article for TFSource

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Mar 7, 2012.

1. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    My only BT is the one not made of diecast. Love it though and I'm a fan of the alternator line.

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love when I photograph this line the cars look like they are in motion. Oh and I love my custom Prowl, I don't understand why he didn't come like this from Takara.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. wildfly

wildfly Formerly the next big thing.

News Credits:

There was a rumor going 'round that it was something to do with Subaru USA not wanting to license out an Imprezza police car.

Take that as you will.

4. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Makes sense, I could see that thanks.

5. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    My pleasure! It's been nice to showcase something other than G1 or Diaclone.

I think Smokescreen probably shows the greatest difference in construction (visually) between Binaltech and Alternators. The plastic sections on Smokescreen that will have turned you off are diecast on the BT, and not just a matte baby blue but a much more accurate glossy blue micah like the real Impreza WRCs.

By the time they got to Mirage, I felt the Alternators were of great quality. My Mirage is simply magnificent.

Exactly! I was suprised today to see how much of a response this one had elicited from the boards compared to the G1 and pre-G1 stuff I'd been posting.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel as well, a really classy update for those who appreciated and loved the G1 cars of yesteryear. I really did like Animated but I'm sure that had more to do with the show itself than the toys. For me, eventually I expect BT/Alts will be the only thing remaining alongside my vintage era stuff when the rest is thinned out.

Ideally I would have loved to have 2 of each BT, displaying one as a car alongside one in robot mode with a subtle little stand for the character's collector's card. A nice dedicated IKEA Detolf cabinet with no more than 2 characters per shelf. I can dream, right? ;) 

Yellow Tracks is a superb choice just because it's such a perfect amalgam of a hugely recogniseable G1 character with plenty of homages to the original design, but with a show accurate head, and a real tribute to the Corvette in the company's signature yellow colour. Signifies just about everything that's so wonderful for me about Binaltech. All those same traits are visible in BT-01/BT-07 Smokescreen, especially how it has the sparkly blue of the real Impreza WRCs compared to the Alt version.

Good times and great memories mate, that was such a lovely time to be a collector when the very best thing on the market was affordable, everyone was equally excited to get their hands on a new mould, and I met loads of collectors such as yourself. I really miss the BT/Alt heyday :) 

Noooo don't sell! Having said that, have you typed "BT-07" into eBay recently? Have you seen what they're going for?! I was utterly gobsmacked last night. Curt even told me they have been selling at $200+ at Source, that's freaking unbelievable....

Hah, see above!

I really do wish I had more up to date photographs of the rest of my BTs, the treatment I was able to give Smokescreen and Mirage was because they live with me currently whereas the rest are in storage. Some of those pics are nearly 10 years old so at some point, the rest of my BTs will get the light tent and lamp treatment :) 

Yup, same thing here. It didn't fit together in vehicle mode anywhere near as well as Smokescreen or Streak.

Great pics!

All the best
    Maz

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  6. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
    I agree.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I was mildly obsessed with Alternators and Binaltechs during my first year or two of collecting. My collection was mostly comprised of Alts, but I remember having a MISB BT Tracks and Smokescreen. It was a fun line.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  8. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Oh, treat yourself - go get Skids ;)  IMO that thing is GORGEOUS.

They were kind of hit and miss for me - I didn't like the corvettes, or that Prime pickup truck. But I loved Skids, and Mirage, and the Mazdas.

9. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

I have been trying to get rid of my alternators FOREVER. I used to like them and now when I look at them there are only like 2 or 3 that I wont part with. I absolutely cant even stand to display them and I regret buying them all. I am totally in love with generations versions. Ease of transformation and space to display are both high priorities. Generations line has all that and accuracy. Most of the figs were designed very well. As for the Alternators...Hound is my favorite. I will never get rid of him. The rest are just a mess...especially the Mustangs....OMFG WHY!!!!!?????

10. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Well, Binaltech Skids is cheap enough compared to the others and he has been a favorite of mine since that weird Marvel G1 comic he was in. I also like that the Scion seems to be the form he would take in today's world and captures the G1 version well.

I'll probably pick it up in a few days and then I can see what all the fuss is with this line.

11. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I had no idea you could shove the baton up the exhaust, I have to try that out.

Not on myself but on Prowl I mean.

It was a great read btw.

12. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    I do love Alternators, but I find myself thinking of selling most of them lately. They take the G1 style of Car first -> Robot second so some of the bot modes aren't great. Also Transforming some of these guys can be a pain, just not fun like with a Classics fig or HA car. Smokescreen is my fav I think, just something about him is perfect to me. I see the appeal of Binaltechs, but can't justify the extra cost and the difficult realignment for the transformation can chip the paint. Lastly Alt/Binaltech take up a lot of room.

Still, I love them and I will keep most of them to display with my G1s. The only one I have sold was Swerve. I just didn't care about the character and he was selling well. I need Hound!

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    one of my favorite lines, their display is one of the highlights of my collection, and i think they're the peak of quality from has/tak that we are likely to get outside of mps

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Never will I ever sell my ALT/BT collection. Not while I'm still breathing.

15. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my collection, I have some Alternators I opened, some I left MISB... but I open every Binaltech I buy and I love every one of them. I, too, will never sell them, though selling my sealed Alternators has run through my mind a few times. Hound was my first Binaltech, but when I got serious about collecting them, Overdrive and Laserwave were at the top of my list and they are both gorgeous, I can't recommend them highly enough. That yellow Tracks is essential, too.

I treat my BTs with kid gloves and I haven't had a problem with paint chipping. Plastic is just not a substitute for die-cast metal.

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    After Red Alert was switched to Prowl, the BT* was one of the last ditch efforts to make the line fresh to reboot sales, as sales for BTs were starting to decline in Japan. Alert was chosen for the Subaru police car at that point. Pretty ironic :lol 

That makes sense since the Scoobies weren't used as police cars here at the time. The Integra wasn't either, but Takara used it, and Prowl is a popular enough character that Hasbro could swing it with the licensing as well.

As far as a police Scooby goes, this is what they actually look like:

[​IMG]

Since we're talking about wishes here, I would have just melted if we got the Nissan 350Z or the Skyline as a BT. The closest things we came to either was stupid Alternity. Alternity, how I loathe thee and your pretentious connection with my toyline.

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      116.4 KB
      Views:
  17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Yep, I miss Binaltech too (Hound is my favorite). That remark about being the best on the market _and_ affordable is spot on. The price tag and QC issues of the Masterpiece line are a real turn off. Takara can choke on Alternity too for all I care.

18. wildfly

wildfly Formerly the next big thing.

News Credits:

I'm not sure how the QC held up on Binaltech over its life span? My Lazerwave and Wheeljack had some pretty mucked up paint straight from the box.

My BTA Alert was so mis-molded, the back doors wouldn't even close properly in alt mode. Maybe that's why they packaged it in robot mode.

Come to think of it, the paint flaked off that one real easy too.

19. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Never underestimate how insanely COOL BT Prowl became if you just unscrewed both screws on his lower legs and switched them around so that the glass is facing the front like on the Mustangs. Ton of difference in articulation, stability, and overal fun. And it actually eliminates one transformation step to turn the waist around.

I never had a problem with transforming Grimlock or any of the THREE [!!] Wheeljacks I had at a time, but I recall being terrified of their waist\cape\lower abs section as it reminded me too much of the TM Megatron I had broken some years ago.

20. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Look into my eyes...

News Credits:
    You know I would've said that last year, but when it came down to it I didn't care much for some of the moulds, and a complete collection of Alternators takes a lot of room up. So last year I sold two thirds of my Alts., and all my BTAs. I still intend to hold on to the remaining rump of BTs and Alts, but, my god I'm not letting go of any of my RX-8s, Ford GTs, BT Dead End, and Black Convoy.