Why Have the G1 Reissues Existed in China for SOOO Long if it's Copyright Infringement??

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CyclonusIsSkywarp, Mar 27, 2021.

1. CyclonusIsSkywarp

CyclonusIsSkywarp Well-Known Member

I'm sure most of the people on these boards know about the G1 reissues that have been easily available from China for at least 10 years maybe longer, from Ebay and Ioffer. The original Optimus Prime, all of the combiner gift sets and several Transformers in between have all been available brand new in the box for several years with very little to distinct them from the original releases for nearly original retail price when you factor in inflation. I almost think Hasbro had to outsource production of the reprints to a manufacturer in China and still in a sort of behind the scenes deal that no one is supposed to know about because Hasbro doesn't want to manufacture them for sale in the US (especially at the large scale that they are produced and the amount of different figures in China.) I simply think there's no way Hasbro would've allowed the manufacture of these reprints without their consent and trying to shut them down. There's simply NO WAY this could have gone on for this long without Hasbro knowing about it and receiving a percentage of the profits. Simply no way.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Yeah no.....

• Like Like x 3
  3. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    The forum directly below this one is called "Transformers 3rd Party Discussion." Maybe give it a quick read.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

Simply put: China doesn’t recognize (Hasbro) American laws if they don’t feel like it. The EBay stuff is too small for Hasbro to chase after.

• Like Like x 5
  5. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

To add: they’re all KO’s. None are reissues. China could give a rat’s ass about IP infringement in the first place.

• Like Like x 4
  6. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Forget it Jake, its China.

• Like Like x 10
  7. CyclonusIsSkywarp

CyclonusIsSkywarp Well-Known Member

They're exactly like the originals though. Where do they get the blueprint to copy these toys . I've never read a good story on where they come from.

8. Lightningsonic

Lightningsonic Well-Known Member

Old way: casting mold
    The future is now, old man: 3d scanning

• Like Like x 7
  9. XaxisGuy

XaxisGuy Metasuchus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Are you joking?

• Like Like x 1
  10. cultofkraken

cultofkraken Cybertronian Metalhead

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    ...town?

11. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i suggested they used 3d scanning once on here and got told i didn't know what i was talking about with a big long post to tell me why :lol 

• Like Like x 6
  12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on how long ago you suggested it. That technology has advanced very rapidly.

Still not sure it's the actual answer here, though. AFAIK, there's still a lot of manual cleanup that needs to be done for 3D scans.

It's been suggested in the past that a lot of the toolings may simply be the authentic originals, that HasTak supposedly lost in the interim years, before vintage toys suddenly became a hot item again. Mold archival didn't used to be a common practice, and old storehouses were probably liquidated or even forgotten about at various points in time, leading to some of those old toolings probably leaking out. There's probably some credence to the theory, when you take into account the limited selection of G1 KOs that are actually out there. If 3D scanning and recasting were so easy and prevalent, we'd have the entire G1 lineup readily available for cheap by this point.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Conran

Conran Well-Known Member

Because China. It's not rocket science, its pretty easy. I could spend hours explaining copywrite enforcement, selective enforcement of ip laws, market demands overriding the spergfest that is US intellectual property laws but the simplest version is; it's China. China doesn't give a shit and to be honest nor should they. It comes down to one simple equation when it comes to business; is it good for China? If yes authorities don't care, if no then they'll stamp it out.

KO's will always exist as in some form the money from them in some way will benefit the Chinese Market directly or indirectly. It's the largest manufacturing country on the face of the earth and Hasbro has investments there, why would they rock the boat of a place they rely on. So what, someone makes a buck off a shittily made G1 Devastator box set that'll crumble when out the box, it won't hurt their bottom line. Only when it's something very specific will they usually intervene.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    China don't care.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MagnusAfterDark

MagnusAfterDark Well-Known Member

china_dont_care_t_shirt-rc41de63be66a4200bc36f68e8b5cb1d7_k21ux_704.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    aliens.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  17. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    China KOs entire freakin' cars for chrissake's. And for all the high powered lawyers that I'm sure firms like BMW have at their disposal, the best legal action they can generally levy at China is "you can't sell your shit outside of China".

Trying anything further typically amounts to costing the interested parties more money to litigate than they'd be getting back.

I suspect that the few odd "raids" we've seen in the last few years probably also required the Chinese government also getting involved, due to big investment money from companies like Bandai and Disney being at stake. If you don't have Disney-level influence to back up your bark, then tough luck taking any meaningful legal action against the Chinese manufacturing industry.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Evil Warrior of Talking

News Credits:
    Welcome to the boards!...

Cause your clearly new here :p 

• Like Like x 6
  19. MagnusAfterDark

MagnusAfterDark Well-Known Member

I will say, the selection of ko's is very weird and random. Like all 3 Decepticon Headmasters, but none of the Autobots. Then Bluestreak, but no Prowl. All 3 Decepticon triple changers, but only Springer on the Autobot side.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    That's why I think there's strong creedence for the "lost/stolen molds" theory, over full reverse engineering. Otherwise, there'd be a more targeted effort to release rarer in-demand figures, than this random scattershot approach.

• Like Like x 3