Why has covid driven up prices?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by KylerWilmoth, Aug 14, 2021.

1. KylerWilmoth

KylerWilmoth Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Can somebody explain to an idiot like me why covid has driven up costs of vintage figures so substantially? This has been the worst year for collecting for me ever. It's really depressing me actually. I thought the opposite would have been true and prices would have gone down seeing as toys aren't the most essential item currently.

2. Blitzwing2008

Blitzwing2008 Triple Changer

News Credits:
    Because it had shut down production plants over seas where plastic and other materials are made as well as wrecked havok on the factories that make the toys as well as made distribution and shipping a nightmare. There are other factors to the price increase as well but thats a whole other issue.

• Like Like x 9
  3. KylerWilmoth

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Gotcha. I guess the vintage figures are just people realizing they can get away with driving up prices. I can't wait for this to be over

• Like Like x 3
  4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everything has gone up. Cars, cards, models, homes you name it it's gone up in price. suply and demand is going whack right now and it doesn't help when people see stories about Pokemon cards and Nintendo games going for silly money.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    I'm sure many are with you there, plus I don't think you're dumb for being confused about the whole thing and instead of just assuming you knew all the answers you simply asked.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Blitzwing2008

Blitzwing2008 Triple Changer

News Credits:
    Pretty much but vintage figures go up and down depending on the character and what's available. I also hope this all ends soon and things normaliz or close to it.

7. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

As much as we are being told that there isnt inflation-- there is massive inflation, on pretty much everything

That pushes the prices up on collector items too

New products, as you may have already noticed, have less paint apps, smaller sizes, higher prices, and the mainlines have less parts

Oil is needed to make plastic and oil supply chains are kind of suffering at the moment

There are lots of factors and each factor causes a chain reaction that raises the price of something else. People selling collectables need to raise their prices to keep the same spending power from their profits.

Hope this makes sense!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Gee Won 1984

Gee Won 1984 Dinoforce attack!

Inflation is the big one. Raising incomes causes prices to increase to pay the workers, printing too much money causes money to be worth less making things cost more including our beloved Transformers. That is why there was a budget limit on spending that has been basically ignored more than usual since COVID, making inflation worse.

Oil is being bought and shipped from the middle east to the US again instead of getting it all at home which raises the cost of plastic and fuel (shipping) here. Other countries might have their own issues on that, that is just here.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

When it comes to vintage, I think what happened was a lot of folks used the stimulus checks and extra unemployment cash for figures/toys and drove the prices up. I personally know a few people who bought several items and kept bidding way above what they usually would pay just because of the extra cash. This just me theorizing based on personal experience but I think that's some of why it's up. I used my stimulus to preorder a ko Megatron and to buy a Firefly and Flint from the GI Joe 25th line, both at good prices but without the stimulus I wouldn't have gotten any of them. I can't imagine how many other people did something similar.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gee Won 1984

Gee Won 1984 Dinoforce attack!

When did Ebay start taxing all auctions for the buyer? The last vintage I bought I was surprised at the tax cost. I thought the government was only taxing the sellers income on ebay, I had never noticed it until this week. It's like the mafia wanting their cut from a garage sale now.

• Like Like x 2
  11. KylerWilmoth

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    yeah it's brutal. The tax has prevented me from any large purchases because I know it'll drive up the cost that much more.

12. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Factor that with people saving money at the same time on things like gas for commuting and trips, despite spending more on things like home electricity. And probably time too, more casual collectors probably had time they didn't count on getting to look at things like a vintage Cy-Kill or G1 Transformer they always wanted but were usually too busy to think about.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's also a "collector bubble" that has been building for some time due to various things, including the younger generations now having disposable income and discovering they want to dip into older collectibles.
    While vintage figures may be seeing an increase, the increases in comics and collectible cards is downright insane. The one that gets me is that a common Pikachu from the first set, which not long ago pulled about a dollar now consistently goes for over $400 (my daughter has about seven).
    The bubble keeps getting bigger and doesn't look to be ready to break soon.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a major factor too, people bored and just shopping like crazy since they have all that extra money (a problem I wish I had.) People likely started taking the plunge on things they'd never thought of owning.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Obnimaz

Obnimaz Well-Known Member

During lockdowns, ANYTHING you could do at home went up in demand significantly. Puzzles became sold out for months, Lego sets, models, Gunpla sets disappeared for awhile, anyone chasing down WFC releases these past 2 years has felt it. As a side effect, a lot of people stayed interested in these 'new' hobbies.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    We'll see how long that lasts as most places are shifting away from work at home whatever people want to give it up or not (personally I think there's more benefits from keeping some work from home lessons from 2020, but I'm not Corporate America), and other life needs like gas and food keep going up. Then again, those Delta Variant numbers aren't messing around, so given another couple months, I could be eating these words.

17. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

On top the supply/demand, production, shipping, inflation, etc. issues, there appears to be a powerful amount of greed and a complete and utter loss of any sense of the value of money.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

Yes! The greed and loss of value are really showing themselves. I wish I had that problem with money but then again I'm happy that I value everything I have because it wasn't easy to get. Things are getting strange on the collecting frontier.

• Like Like x 1
  19. deaddude

deaddude Well-Known Member

In addition to the other answers in this thread, I'll also point out that people are suffering from strain on their mental health on a massive scale, and indulging in hobbies, especially consumption based hobbies like collecting, is an easy escape for many people. I know that I have the bad habit of buying figures to help when things are down, and I imagine that is the same for many people, assuming they have the luxury of affording it.

• Like Like x 3
  20. volatus

volatus Aristocratic Airborne Decepticon

Yeah, lol. There's definitely inflation. When you print trillions of dollars, the value of every existing dollar decreases. It takes time for market forces to bring this phenomenon into a recognizable form. Economics isn't one of my strong points, but when you realize everyone got a couple G's worth of stimmies (some needed them for bills, and others didn't really need them for bills), and immediately went out and spent them on luxury items, it makes sense that the prices of luxury items increased as a consequence of regular market forces.

Too damn true.

• Like Like x 2