Why ERECTOR Should Be In The TF Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kickback, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Perfectly put.

I bought Erector from the Hartmans when they were selling off items a few years back. I didn't buy him for his name, I bought him cause he's a great little figure.

He gets my vote.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Zone is an obscure but interesting piece of fiction, and why shouldn't that be important to a selection of a "fan-choice" character? The big-name characters are going to be shoe-ins one year or another, but the fan-choice character is really the only shot some "cult" favorites have of getting the recognition they deserve in the hall.

And erector pulled the gimmick off the absolute best. Flattop came close, but his "vehicle" didn't really do anything in aircraft carrier mode, it was more or less a brick that served to store the guns that popped on in "vehicle" mode, whereas Erector's crane was more fun to play with. His mini-battle station also looked a lot better than the strange sky-chariots the other three figures had, IMO.

3. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Erector always rises to the occasion

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    For the record, I have nothing against obscure characters, especially Erector, getting into the HoF. You're talking to a guy who made a chart to explain exactly why Bugbite was awesome. I am just not a fan of the arguments being made to justify his nomination for the people who don't "get it." But if you actually think his toy is super fun, nothin wrong with that.

5. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.

News Credits:
    That's what we've been saying all along, but with embedded jokes in everything. ;) 

Erector is easily the best of the MM transports. Besides from the excellent explanations from Kickback, the other three MM transports are totally obvious when you look at them. One glance and you see what they transform into. Not so with Erector. Totally awesome toy, visually appealing, and a really cool bio to boot. And yes, the name is funny too ;) 

6. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe...............

[​IMG]

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Transformers, Erect and roll out.

8. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    If you want a cool robot that turns into a military platform thing, why not vote for Overload his silent giant combining buddy from Armada who was given a yellow deco.

Also, this poll is about character and toy. Erector has one but not the other unlike his fellow nominees.

Is he too cool to have character?

If so, he's as bland as slice of plain bread.

9. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow. Cry moar.

10. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    You cry when your beloved Erector doesn't enter the polls.

11. Crystal Convoy

Crystal Convoy Huh? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Why do you have to be a pest?

12. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

Its Glorious... So what you think bout my Erector-Related Avatar? isnt it Erector worthy?

13. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think I sold my erector for $2 so he is not worthy.

14. Coldiron

Coldiron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT.

This was one of my childhood favorite TFs. I had to go find him again in mint condition for my current collection. I remember being a kid, and not being allowed to watch the cartoon so I did not know the character. I did not even read the name on the box. I remember looking at all the figures in the aisle at TRU and picking erector cause he was the coolest of the bunch. Even now, I had not bothered collecting the others cause Erector is a far cooler design and to me the others are meh. After this thread, I think I want a classics release now too. So vote for classics Erector!

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    By "him", I assume that you are refering to Superpants Armada Prime, and therfore the Overload you refer to is the giant BRICK that became the giant cannons for Prime, since that was the only Overload I know of that was yellow at any point in time. The original Micromaster Overload was essentialy a miniaturized Ultra Magnus in Diaclone colors whose trailer turned into a jet instead of power armor.

Either way, neither of them come up close to being as worthy as Erector. In all honesty, Overload has just become another generic name to be thrown around (which is why the clearly Ultra-Magnus inspired Armada Overload was named as such, and later on the giant red articulated dump truck that forms most of ROTF Devestator's torso). Erector, while his name can not be reused for more than just the obvious sexual joke (there's also the Erector sets that cause name confusion, and simply sticking "Autobot" in front of the name will not work because of the obvious sexual joke), did at least get his color scheme re-used on Cybertron Mudflap's repaint, which in alt. mode does greatly resemble Erector's original vehicle mode w/ crane trailer.

Oh, please. Sure, Dinobot's character got him into the HoF because he was so excelently written, but he's the only one thus far. The other four got in because they're already so damn famous and consequently are the biggest selling product names within the Transformers franchise. Ironhide, Ratchet, and Soundwave are also new inductees because; surprise surprise, they're also very well known and continue the precident that all automatic HoF'ers also are in all the live-action movies.

That's why it's safe to assume that other well-known G1 characters, such as Grimlock, Jazz, and Shockwave, are pretty much lock-ins for later appointments to the HoF, and as such don't actually need nominations when lesser but fan favorite characters such as Erector only have these fan nominations to get the reconition they deserve.

The issue you seem to be having is that there is no existing cannon for Erector, unlike Bludgeon or some other blessed character, but as pointed out Erector embodies something Bludgeon never really had until his awesome ROTF toy came out: a fun toy. All Bludgeon had was a cool inarticulate shell and a little tank guy inside. Whoopee. The only reason he isn't obscure is that Marvel made him such a bad-ass in the comics, and then IDW had him resurect Thunderwing by replicating the pretender process. Sure, the concept may be cool, but it took the original "new" Bludgeon concept that was drawn up back during Energon all the way until ROTF's last few waves to actually see an awesome toy.

Erector may not have had much characterization (Dreamwave gave him some thanks to his MTMTE profile, and then he's got the whole Zone comic thing going for him), but more importantly he was a great toy. The trailer crane did a great job hiding the fact it was able to become a gun emplacement, and the interactivity it had with not only Erector himself but also any other Micromaster figures and accessories really exemplified what Transformers have really always been about: the toys. Kids did not need characterizations of the toys given to them; they could make up their own interpetations of the characters. A good example of this recently would be the Power Core Combiners. The only fiction they have for the most part is a brief bio and the tech spec, nothing else. That leaves the figures to be a blank slate for any kid to make that toy their own version. Bludgeon may have also been a blank slate, but his toy lacks the interactivity with other Pretenders outside of swapping weapons and the core robots, which isn't nearly as awesome as having a bunch of micromasters blasting each other with a giant crane gun.

That could be said of any character who does not have a lot of characterization (I.E. Armada Overload, whose own lack of any specific orgin was parodied in his Universe 2.0 figure's bio). What makes that bread NOT bland is how the person playing with the toy decides to characterize the figure themselves.

Man...your comparison to a slice of bread is making me think of some Fawful quote involving "Mustard of Doom", but I can't remember the whole quote so I don't know if it is relevant to countering your argument or not.

16. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    And nobody in the last 25 years has ever bought a two dollar Grimlock. Right.

17. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Agreed, of course it is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Obscurity, or Hall of Infamy, for that matter.

Of course it's arguable that his fame has changed somewhat since yesterday, but let's face it, his last and only homage was a shelfwarmer.

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Look, I know how these things start. It's like the anti-American Idol "Vote for the Worst" campaign.

I don't begrudge anyone for having a favorite toy/character that is fairly obscure in the TF Universe, and would have been long-forgotten if it weren't for a name that provides a steady stream of jokes. (And yes, that was intentional.)

But the idea that such a character should be in the "Transformers Hall of Fame" is silly. Obscure doesn't equal Famous. I'll admit it's amusing to suggest during the polling process, but because of the heavy-handedness (again, intentional) in this thread the joke is already wearing thin.

Also, you can put anything on a chain and wear it around your neck and call it a necklace...even if you diminish the masculinity of "Erector" by calling it something girlie like a necklace.

And sorry, but in any context, wearing a Transformers toy on a chain is going to get a laugh, even if somehow the gag is not intentional.

I'll grant that perhaps it deserves a nod, but the majority of fans will cry afoul if it actually ended up winning the poll.

And there are a lot of "good toys" out there which are a LOT better than Erector. Erector already loses by default when compared with Grimlock and Shockwave's toys. Grimlock was a T-Rex, and Shockwave was a pretty freaking awesome laser gun. Erector is a tiny toy with a crane transport/battle station. Let the average child pick between playing with a transforming robot dinosaur, a transforming robot gun, or a toy like Erector...and Erector's going to lose out every time.

Eh...that's just a matter of opinion. I liked the Decepticon Cannon Transport and the Autobot Tanker Truck a lot more. They had more play value.

Shame on me, then. I call it what it is.

And I'll agree that Erector deserves a fair shot at being one of the nominees. But it does not make sense that Erector should win the poll vote. It's simply too gag-worthy. (Pun intended.)

But again, you guys have fun with this. I don't want to stand in the way of this grand grass roots campaign even if it does seem like a premature April Fool's gag.

I already voted for Shockwave. I'm done with this poll until Hasbro announces the winner.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    haha u mad. u mad @ Erector bein great.

20. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    :bowdown: