Why ERECTOR Should Be In The TF Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kickback, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    You still can, for only a little more than MSRP (including shipping):
    Transformers TRU exclusive Mudflap excellent cindition! - eBay (item 320675587446 end time Mar-30-11 11:27:12 PDT)

According to the page, the Cyber Key isn't going to be the original one, but if you were going to repurpose the figure as Erector anyway, then the Cyber key (with Decepticon symbol molded into the key AND the movie Decepticon symbol variant tampoed on top of it) should be replaced anyway.

2. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Erector FTW.

3. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.

News Credits:

Errr, this is not a Fuzzy thread. If it was, it would be in the Fuzzy. Just sayin'...

4. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    Word.

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    It is not in the Fuzzy because it wants to bring attention to a public campaign for maximum humour purposes.

I don't disagree with Aernaroth's points, either. But if this was "only" about late G1 gimmickry, we could nominate other guys. Thunderwing, Big Daddy, Scorponok... Erector is the nominee because his name is just slightly funnier than Big Daddy's (but Hasbro can still actually use Big Daddy, at least as of 2007)

6. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Big Daddy for sure has my vote for next year, in just 2 short bios his character was more interesting than 75% of the monkey crap released through out the years.

7. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd support Fortress Maximus long before I'd support a Scorponok entry. But dammit, not every kid had parents willing to shell out that kind of money, but Erector was compact, affordable, and endless fun for whoever was playing with him.

And if you had a whole patrol of micromasters? Adventures!

Vote for Erector, your support we expect-or
    Contact the elector, tell him that you'll raise heck-tor

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Shame on everyone who thinks this is a joke.

What? Do you think it's a joke because of his name? Get your minds out of the gutter! Erector is easily the most famous 'bots of the end of the USA G1 line. He played a prominent role in Zone (he saved someone's life for crying out loud!) and his toy is very enjoyable.

What can be more stale than a character that's been done/redone 50 thousand times? Do you guys work for IDW? Is that why you're simply taking the existing characters and running with them when you have HUNDREDS of characters no one even thinks twice about to enjoy and enshrine for the rest of eternity (or until Hasbro decides they don't care anymore)? (BA DUM CHING! ... sorry IDW, nothing but love!)

"This is a joke because his name is funny" ... Well guess what? Voting for Jazz is a joke. He started as nothing more than "the Transformer that's black but is painted white, giggle giggle". The most interesting thing to happen to his character is WHEN HE LEARNED MARTIAL ARTS NEARLY 30 YEARS AFTER HE WAS FIRST INTRODUCED AS "JAZZ".

Grimlock? If it wasn't for Simon Furman turning him in to the "smart leader with a speech issue", no one would care. And now Grimlock is so watered down that he's become a completely boring character. Yeah, vote for the Transformers' version of Wolverine, minus the claws. No thank you.

Shockwave is probably the best choice out of those three and it's only because his character is unique and interesting. He's a cold, calculating methodical saddist. But you'd never be able to tell because he never DOES anything, he just schemes and plans ... it's like everyone thought Tarantulas was SO AMAZING that we needed to make Shockwave in to the new version of Tarantulas! The most exciting thing he ever did, EVER, was start a Decepticon Civil War in the Marvel G1 run of the comics. Other than that? Plot! Plan! Scheme! Experiment! Bwahahahaha!

Erector? Yeah, his name is unfortunate. But it's because of his name that he even has a following. Kind of like "Big Daddy", though obviously has less of a tendancy to be taken in the wrong context. But he is truly an embodiment of various play patterns that are still around today! Small Transformers that interact with bigger parts (Mini-Cons?). The beginning of the small Transformer engineering (WST? Mini-Cons?). When was the last time you saw a Mini-Con or a toy that connected/interacted with a bigger toy?

Powercore Combiners maybe?

Erector deserves a fair shot. IT MAKES SENSE. And shame on you if you think that the character should just "be ignored" ... shame on you for calling all the hard work people have put in to this campain for Erector as a "joke" ... break down the walls you've built and embrace Erector.

That is all.

10. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Ouch, I really like Jazz, I'm not bashing what you like. Why are you bashing what others are fond of?

I think you're going too far with this, you're too centered on your own opinion and won't hear those of others.

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This.

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I like Jazz too. But I think the problem I'm seeing is that people are basically picking characters that have multiple incarnations to them, especially G1.

"But Dinobot!" you'll say.

You call him Dinobot, I call him Grimlock. If you ignore Grimlock from the G1 cartoon (because we pick and choose our character personalites when they suit our arguments!) you basically have BW Dinobot, but who says "Me" a lot. Unless you're IDW. Then you just ignore that entire facet of those characters entirely.

My point is ... as a fictional character, we don't know Erector very well. But as a toy one could argue he was vitally responsible for Mini-Cons! For Transforming playsets for those Mini-Cons (I'll call it ... Erector inspired Armada Prime's trailer ... am I right? I dunno, prove me wrong!). Powercore Combiners? Obviously Erector.

Jazz is cool. But he's not HOF cool. Grimlock "me badass". Not badass enough for the HOF. Shockwave is logical. Too bad it's not logical to vote him in the HOF. Erector? Yeah, I wanna build that. Right in to the HOF.

I believe.

13. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Here Here!, and might I add something about BW Dinobot, half of his character appeal is a favor done by Rattrap who constantly gave his character a bit of comedy relief, without that he would have been just as "onesided" as most of the rest of the characters I hear people complaining about.

14. Abrogate

News Credits:
    This would be believable, if not for the fact that Erector's gimmick isn't unique. Why not vote for Flattop or Overload? Because Erector has a funny name. "But he was important in Zone!" Zone is even more pointless than the reasons you're spouting against the more popular guys :p 

15. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

How could you forget Roughstuff!! your argument is invalid.:p 

16. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    That's all very nice, Kickback, still don't know who he is.

I too now, am starting to think this is a bit of a joke.

17. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Roughstuff is a little too rowdy. He took my lunch money :( 

18. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

that son of a motherless goat, no vote for him!

19. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Erector you say? I'm having a hard time deciding between Windbreaker & Thrust... :lol 

20. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    I say vote for a fembot..Arcee..she can take all the Erectors out there and cut them down to size! ;) 

Hee hee :ev: