Why doesn't Takara price their MP figures more competitively with 3P?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by SegaSnatcher, May 16, 2020.

1. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Each division has control of their brand. While VW may be willing to share there license, Porshe is u see no obligation to share theirs. They also may have bath is deals depending on the line. I know the toy car line has Porshe products, but they've yet so far to extend it to the MP line.

• Like Like x 1
  2. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

while true for some, there are plenty of people who didn't want that trash pile hound...FT Willis is more than good enough to not be replaced ever for example. Every 3rd party MP optimus option makes a compelling argument against mp-44 also. i don't think any one of the 3 modern MP scaled Ops is better than any of the other ones in all respects....they all are better at something. Even going back further - MP Shockwave is way more accurate than quakewave or quakeblast - but each of those feels 10X better in hand and aren't undersized lavendar runts. mp-29+ is a nice color BUT still undersized and cheap feeling. i could go on...some have replaced offical MPs with 3P as well. I mean what self respecting MP collector still has MP-08 as his main grimlock? hes a standa lone at best but scales best with CHUG. i coudl go on....

3. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

First, they're not the same company. The VW group consist of multiple companies, but each is given some level of autonomy. Thus if VW and Lamborghini give TT the license, that doesn't mean Porsche is open as well. If they don't want to license, then it wont happen. (Just a few years ago a former Hasbro employee dropped that although TT tried with Porsche to secure a license (perhaps for MP Jazz), they were told no -- the exception seems to be the chibi deformed figures)

TT has been trying to get a Porsche license since at least 2003. The first Alternator was supposed to be a Porsche (Jazz), but Porsche said no. There have been rumours of more attempts. Apparently a fan contacted Porsche and was told that they thought TF's wasn't worth their license. However, I don't think we should put much faith in that, since it was just some employee who said this.

Speculation is that Porsche won't license to TT for a Transformer because these are war based toys. You see, while the Italian Lamborghini was created after WW2 (they almost literally made ploughs from swords), VW and Porsche are German companies that existed prior to the War and have an involvement. VW is of course mostly associated with WW2 because the beetle was created at the request of Hitler, but that's all. Just the Beetle, nothing more. It's Porsche that really had ties. Ferdinand Porsche was a member of the Nazi party, he was the one who designed the VW Beetle at the request of Hitler, it's the Porsche company who then modified this design and produced a jeep version of the Beetle to be used on the front, they also built tanks for the Nazi's and they designed the Tiger tank, all giving them an active part in the Nazi war effort. Ferdinand Porsche also spent time in prison following the war.

Now you may say: that was 75+ years ago, but guilt over the crimes of the Nazi's is very much an issue in Germany: they tend to avoid anything that could give association with the war (hence in part why they don't have a big army, avoid a leading role in the EU as much as possible and are quick to take the blame when someone mentions the Nazi's and what they did). Add to this that in the last decade there have been protests against the Porsche company and it's founder, because of his Nazi association. The Porsche company knows that their history with the Nazi's is not forgotten and can flair up any moment. It is therefor not impossible that it is indeed true that Porsche does not want to be associated with Transformers, because these are armed robots that fight a war. But in the end we will never know untill either party says so, and TT won't to avoid risking alienating Porsche and Porsche won't say because that won't look good for them.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  4. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    Note I said "many" and not all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

fair enough. i'll concede that

6. HazySaiyan

HazySaiyan I can quit anytime I want!

Thanks for the explanations guys, very informative

• Like Like x 1
  7. DashCourageous

DashCourageous Greetings Programs!

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Lego got a Porsche deal. Guess They've got more pull.

8. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Elaborate please!

9. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    *quietly raises hand*

TakaraTomy also has an ongoing working relationship with Porsche. There's a whole bunch of them under the the Tomica line.

I think it's more to do with the fact that Transformers are a more violent franchise than anything else. Either that, or Porsche doesn't like panel lines in their miniature car models.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  10. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

:oops: 

:confused2 

Not many choices for MP Grimlock, actually.

I didn't want to pay the price for Grinder, thought the OSKO was good enough, but the Chrome reissue never happened.

11. Dead End14

Dead End14 Well-Known Member

I still got MP-08 too. Grinder is too expensive now and I just found out his robot arms are ridiculously long.

So that leaves Gigapower... But they aren't cheap either.