Why does RID Bludgeon have fake kibble?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Dec 29, 2016.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Some how maybe because I haven't transformed Megatronus in a while, but I just noticed that Bludgeon has fake kibble.

Normally when a toy has fake kibble it's because the animation model was done first and there's no physical way for the toy to transform the way the animation model does so the toy gets some fake parts.

Bludgeon is the only character I can recall being made as a toy first (unless there's an animation model we don't know about) that also includes fake kibble. The design of the robot mode's chest can be seen in vehicle mode except that's not actually the chest. He clearly has treads on his shoulders except the arms transform into the turret. The treads are entirely formed by just the legs.

I can kind of understand the chest plate because that's such a unique part of Bludgeon's design they probably just wanted to incorporate it into the vehicle mode. However there's absolutely no reason for him to have treads molded into his shoulders. Unless of course the animators already designed him to look that way and Hasbro figured that kinda looks like Megatronus, we can just remold him with fake treads to look like that animation model.

I normally don't use toys to speculate about characters appearing in the cartoon... especially retools... but I don't know of any toy only only characters with fake kibble like this. It would make sense if Megatronus had it too and was just a left over from that original mold but this is a part that's only on this version. Megatronus didn't have fake treads.

Maybe someone could give me another example of this happening that either I forgot about or didn't know about. Maybe you agree with my theory. Maybe you have a different theory as to why this mold has fake treads molded into his shoulders. I don't know. Discuss.

2. TheBeastman

TheBeastman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ROTF Scattorshot also has fake kibble, as an homage to Cyb Scattorshot. Totally unneeded, imo.

3. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    This is probably why. Looking at the art on Blastwave, his shoulders are supposed to be tank treads...but they're his turret in the figure. So my guess is Blastwave/Bludgeon have a different transformation in the series and the toy was Hasbro's way of getting a figure on shelves while leveraging an existing mold.

I got over "fake" alt-mode detailing in robot mode a while ago. Heck, looking over at my RiD shelf as we speak I see fake alt-mode details on Bisk, Ratchet, Thunderhoof and Starscream. All of which are still great figures.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm presuming the "animation model we don't know about" is the factor here.

5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I totally get having fake kibble in order to be screen accurate. What I'm trying to figure out is why a character who's never been in the cartoon would need fake kibble? Presumably it's because he will be in the cartoon looking like that. If they made a new mold they could probably get the arms to transform into his treads like they're clearly meant to but because this is a retool that doesn't transform that way we get fake ones.

Also I looked up Scottorshot and I don't see what fake kibble you're talking about. Of course I don't own that figure so maybe I am seeing it and just don't realize it's not actually part of his alt mode. Could you elaborate on that please?