Why does Mp-25 get so much hate?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by The Smirker, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Adam21

Adam21 Well-Known Member

I also really like tracks, save for one issue. I hate how visible his head is in alt mode; it ruins what i'd consider a gorgeous alt mode otherwise. They made the windshield clear so they could add baster in the windshield (for that ONE scene). I wish they would've omitted this.

It's really similar to what they did with mp-28. They shoe-horned a spot for the matrix in his chest, and in doing so, had to compromise when it came to his chest design. I'm pretty sure everyone would've preferred no spot for the matrix and a more rounded torso.

• Like Like x 1
  2. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I want to make a new chest piece for the vans. And get the skirt relocation kits.
    But I'm in the same camp. I used to be overjoyed buying a new MP. Then it got progressively more of being kinda pissed that it wasn't what I thought it should be then to happy again because my new 3P was better than MP used to be

• Like Like x 1
  3. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

This (These?).

I don't hate it, and it's not a fail, it's just that they made some very odd choices that specifically contradicted his media model for no apparent reasons. I wish they would've worked some of that Inferno and Megatron witchcraft to make him less lanky, also, to match the overall 'beefier' media model. I like Tracks and his Long-Island-Lockjaw syntax, even after a so-so Masterpiece and viewing that honestly creepy manga-ish painting of him making out with an androgynous Raoul.

4. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

I don't hate the way Tracks looks, but the transformation is not fun and the figure doesn't feel like a high quality figure in hand. That what saves Ironhide/Ratchet for me even with the ass wheels and hip skirts. I don't mess around with him as much as other MPs.

Not really tracking the hipster hips, but there is a cat face on the crotch. Someone else noticed that a while back.

5. cyclonus8

cyclonus8 Well-Known Member

is there a way to get the hood to sit flush without resorting to sanding down the engine?

6. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    I think he's the best car to date. Very dynamic, easy to transform, and fits great. I followed the instructions and have never had a problem. I was worried based on pics (not reviews) there would be some things I wouldn't like, but in person he was a true Masterpiece. I was surprised.

I think if we hadn't any word of a certain designer departing before he came out, he would be revered. People have a hard time letting reality be what it is instead of what they think it is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I dunno about that; I don't pay attention to designers. My opinion is based on in hand experience

8. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Hipsters shall be shot on sight.

MP Tracks is awesome, in fact its the best Tracks we have gotten to date.

Bitch about something that matters(unlike hipsters), like double the price seeker remolds................

• Like Like x 4
  9. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    I like Tracks and I don't feel like he's as bad as some say. The only thing that really stands out for me is that his face is all wrong. It's too youthful and smoothed out rather than being chilled as it was in the show.

Takara does a great job with most of the face sculpts, but Tracks and Sideswipe are both misses in that department (in my opinion).

Aside from that, I think Tracks has a fun transformation, a nice looking alt mode, a good balance between toon/toy, and fits in overall with the rest of the line (if I don't look at his face too much).

10. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was a bit intimidated when I opened him up.After watching emgo's video i got the hang of transforming him.He's not bad at all.

11. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't hate Tracks! He's one of my favourite carbots actually. I find he has possibly the best most elegant and toon accurate robot proportions, imho, as the Lambos, Datsuns and Lancias are too wide. They can almost look clunky compared to Tracks.

I also am impressed they incorporated the missiles and flight mode tail fins in without partsforming - bits that were either add-on or didn't exist at all in the original. I can accept cramming all that into the back of the car left scarce room for any gap filling bits, hence the hollowness (which I don't find any worse than the others to be honest.

The one thing that does bother me about the mould, and I'm surprised it's not a more common complaint, is how far forwards his head is positioned on his torso. Looks pretty off from the side, imho, a bit like Hot Rod too.

12. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

His head placement in bot mode sucks. If you look at him from the side, he looks fuct.

13. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree he looks more at home than the van bros. but for me it's his legs.

The panels are just plain unnecessary and add to the fiddliness of the figure. The feel delicate because of the hood panel and the shin panels are just, not pointless, but just not needed.

Lastly, his backpack not tabbing well is another bummer.

Like others have said, not a bad figure per se, just one of the weaker ones.

14. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, it's not snobbish-ness, it's a simple preference for a different design philosophy ffs.

15. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    MP Tracks is okay. He's not my favorite and I would put him towards the bottom of the MP's that have been released. To each their own though, I fully respect fans that love MP Tracks.

16. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

I'm really not a fan of the post-Hasui MP line in general, but the Tracks mold is one of the few molds that has me scratching my head as to why people knock it so hard when there are atrocities like MP Ironhide's diaper hips out there. I'm not a big fan of the headsculpt, but Loudpetal looks amazing. And yeah, why people would pay $200+ for a shaky remold of an over ten-year-old design is beyond me, that mold's had major issues since I bought MP-6 my Freshman year of college. It's a figure that looks decent but it'll fall apart if you look at it wrong, it's worth it at the Hasbro retail pricing of about $50-60 but I would never pay more than $100 for that seeker mold.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bad andy

bad andy Well-Known Member

There's definitely a certain harmony how the MP of Tracks tends to evoke the same love/hate feelings as his actual character personality.

There's probably a very good French or Chinese word for this. ;) 

18. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

I've gotten all the damn seekers..................... Took so long to get official ones I had to lol.

I agree MP Tracks is better that Ironhide..... Always amazed how some things make it thru and some don't, but such is life.

Ratchet and Ironhide are damned impressive as well, but the whole crotch/hip/diaper/winglets zone is a weird middle ground to say the least.

At the end of the day we should all be happy we get figures that are good enough that most only have 1 or 2 things to bitch about.

I mean, who here got Ironhide or Ratchet new back in 84 - 85. I'm sure you were jumping for joy once you opened it and transformed it.......................;) 

• Like Like x 1
  19. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Hate, no. Slightly disappointed and underwhelmed, yes. Love his car mode though.

20. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

There's a part of me that still wants to pick up the MP Seekers, but I just can't justify the $200+ they usually go for on the aftermarket, I'm personally waiting for a new mold from either Has/Tak or one of the third parties, preferably in voyager scale. MP Ironhide's hip area is one of those design flaws that I just can't get past, he looks so doofy (I wasn't alive in '85, so I happily missed out on Ironhide and Ratchet). My first introduction to Transformers was with G2 Inferno, but the well-articulated Cyberjets and Laser Rods/Cycles were what really got me into the line, I only found out about the cartoons when I saw them in a Video Rental store in the mid-90's. While I enjoyed the cartoons (especially the movie) as a child, I've always been more into the toy side of Transformers, which is probably why I am less than enthused by the change to the more cartoon-accurate aesthetic that happened after MP Starsaber while collectors who were more influenced by the cartoon are loving them.