Why Does Hasbro Keep Changing The Name Of The Classics Line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "Classics": A handful of updated-yet-very-faithful versions of popular G1 characters (and some minicons)

Universe 2/25th Anniversary: more 'realism-based', along with repaint obscure characters, adding in other past series, such as Beast Wars and Armada.

Generations: Broadening the scope a bit further, with comic characters and designs from a currently-available video game, and that's just for starters.

(totally all the same line :)  )

2. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because Hasbro lost the rights to use the name "Classics" and "Universe" and had to choose between "Generations" or "Autotbot Classics". Will it be "Jazz" or "Generations Jazz"?

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Meh, all the same line to me.

4. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They could sell 'Classics' figures in My Little Pony packaging for all I care. As long as it's an awesome Transformer, whatever.

5. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes.

Notice how stores didn't carry HA mudflap- but seem to be carrying HA Jazz. The only thing that's changed is the toyline/box design.

6. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    This question should be brought up in the next Q&A session for a direct answer.

7. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I know that. What does that have to do with the name of the toyline? The header of the card said "Transformers" with the subline "Robots in Disguise." One word in the bottom right corner of the package doesn't make that word the toyline's name.

If you want to argue any bit of the point I made in my post, feel free. I'm down for intelligent debate. Don't bother me with nitpicky semantics.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Wait I've got it they had to change the name from Transformers Universe to Transformers Generations because the Marvel line is called Marvel Universe. I mean it's so hard for people to keep from confusing the two lines when they are both called Universe :D 

9. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Marvel Universe exists to compete with DC Universe.

10. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree whole-heartily.

Yes I am that :crazy: 

11. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

What does HA Mudflap have to do with anything? They're carrying HA Jazz because he's a part of the new line.

12. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Which is precisely what he's pointing out. HA Mudflap was notoriously difficult to find because it was part of the old line while HA Jazz can be found since its part of the new line. Yet, they're both HA figures.

13. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Yes, but you're not understanding the confusion here, which is that this doesn't have anything to do with Hasbro "changing" the name of the line.

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Careful, without a smiley, somebody might think you're being serious.

15. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Really? I thought the point is that as a "Revenge of the Fallen" toy, HA Mudflap was impossible to find but as soon as they changed the name to "Hunt for the Decepticons", HA Jazz became available.

16. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Because he's a part of that line. He's one of the first figures in that line. His availability has nothing to do with Mudflap. Mudflap is an older figure and part of an older line. Chances are very good that is why he is hard to find.

17. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Who cares as long as the figures that get put out are awesome? They can call it "Autopoop McShitties" as long as I get my Thunderwing.

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Like said before, just to keep the shelves full of "fresh" toys. For me, however, it's gotten to the point where I don't give a damn about what line the figures are from since Hasbro is making character homages all over the place ever since the end of the original Movie line, I just call them "Classics" figures all the same. In my head, the different names correspond to different phases of the entire line as a whole:

Classics: Initial "testing the water" filler line, gave us many of the well-known characters in modernized form like Jetfire and Optimus Prime. Oh, and all those new mini-cons, too.

Universe 2.0: A few new molds focusing on some slightly less well-known characters like Octane/"Tankor", but more repaint-heavy and has some obscure homages thrown in all over the place. Even the one new Voyager mold; Inferno, was actually his G2 version instead of the original G1 toy reincarnated. Also marked the return of Targetmasters through Cyclonus having Nightstick and, to a degree, Drill bit being attachable to Heavy Load's non-cement mixer arm like a gun.

Generations: More of a "catch-all" line that Universe 2.0 was meant to be. Features somewhat more obscure characters like Darkmount/Straxus (who was last mentioned once in the bio of SDCC Universe 2.0 Nemesis Prime) and also has previously Henkei-only molds.

As an aside, I also consider select figures from the other lines as Classics figures, too. PCC Huffer makes a great Classics stand in, and when was the last time Highbrow showed up?

19. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I couldn't care less what Hasbro calls it, so long as they keep doing it. I just figure it's part of the growing trend that consumers and retailers have an attention span of 30 seconds and call a fixed product line (even one where the content is changing) 'stagnation'. :/

My only gripe is that Hasbro keeps putting the concept on hiatus for a year at a time. I really wish that they kept it on as a permanent second line of toys. I know there's probably a good Business reason why this isn't the case, this is just me speaking as a fan and collector.

Still want a Kup. Just keep telling myself that he's old and slow, he's probably walking very slowly towards release, stopping to get his breath once in a while and pausing to tell a story to some creeped out passerby.

He'll get there. He'll get there... :'(

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Not too crazy about the hiatus thing either. With the waves being so small on the number of characters per wave and there being so many characters to cover over the history of Transformers it takes forever to get characters when the line is always stopping.