Why does everyone love G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by weeklyhero, Feb 24, 2008.

1. lookinglasself

lookinglasself crush/destroy

Haha. Because alot of us grew up watching the cartoon. It was made in the 80's - it's not going to win any Emmy awards. Look at the majority of the 80's cartoons, they all had mistakes.

You don't have to like it. I love it.

2. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

im not going to repeat what has been said in this thread in defence of G1.....because that is all true...

age 26 and up would remember it on the tv when they were children.....and nothing could touch it....bucky o`hare? pfft.(although that mightve been a little later) if you werent 4 years old or older when it orginally aired....you probably wont see why in our hearts it`ll always rain supreme

not to say that later versions didnt have some spark to them.....although RID to me is best left unsaid

i think this also gets into the issue of the new animated...i for one love the show.....mostly cause it has core elements of G1 with a modern twist....some like and some dont like

but .....and guys you can chime in here if you want....i think that the fun and not knowing whats going to happen next and a certian cool anxiety is why animated is going to be a knockout once it`ll all starts to really roll

3. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

The toys!!!
    G1 one was what I grew up with.
    80s was peak time of space curiosity & imagination
    They make for great sig pics :D 

4. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I myself actually grew up with the comics, the cartoon never having aired in Finland, at least on the regular antenna network. It wasn't until I was like 17 or so when I first saw The Movie, but despite several characters dying (which was so common in the comic), I thought it was insanely childish. :p  It wasn't until about a year or two later I actually got around to get the first season of the cartoon on DVD, and I kind of expected the character deaths to be something not at all uncommon in the TV show as well, thanks to The Movie :p 

I've actually grown to like the G1 cartoon more and more on repeated viewings. Admittably, there's plenty of clunker episodes, but I've come to enjoy the sense of familiarity seeing the characters in action gives...it's just a silly cartoon and I love it as such. Even moreso thanks to starring my favorite transforming robots. :D 

5. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

I have tried to watch other series and quite frankly they just don't grab my attention like G1. Damn neon color transformers is about ridiculous. You may not like G1 but you have to respect it. Besides if nothing else Optimus will always be a SEMI!!!

6. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    What neon colour Transformers?

You'll have to clarify, because history has shown that most Transformers fans don't know what neon actually means, and the term is usually used to decribe any colour the individual merely finds ugly.

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Nostalgia is all I can see.

If you didn't grow up with it then you'll most likely think it's trash. Some that did grow up with might even still call it trash. But you gotta respect the legacy that it has created.

8. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:

I like this quote. It makes me think of the early comic-book super heros in the 50s and 60s. Now the comics are insulting lame and silly, but look at the legacys they have made. It's just that alot of comic characters have had the benefit of being able to keep one continuity going, even IF other versions are made. Just think if the G1 comic were never canceled, and was still going to this day.

9. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Yep, I grew up with them, so much cheese that tastes good.

10. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nostalgia!

Here in our side of the world, I would think that those people who grew up with G1 didn't really have the purchasing power to buy all the G1 stuff their hearts desired back then. Now, they're all grown up! Even if G1 stuff costs 10x more now, these people have a lot more purchasing power than when they were kids.

G1 somehow started the foundation on which all other TF series would HAVE to be based on!

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    When I was 8, it was the be all and end all of what I considered to be awesome.

He-Man, Conan, MASK, even Superman were great pretenders compared to Optimus Prime for me.

Now, I watch it, whiskey in hand and smile, and think....ah hell just read my sig.

12. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    When I was a kid Prime was a great role model and all the Characters were fun and amussing. It was fun and if let yourself go back there it sill is fun.

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Yeah, Garfield dominated the 80's at the Emmys. If a Garfield special didn't win an Emmy every year between 84 and 89, it was at least nominated for one.

G1 did kinda suck, but I still loved it then and still love it now. In spite of its faults, it was still fun and entertaining. And I watched all of Season 1 with my nephews and they loved it too. G1 Transformers: still entertaining kids 20 years later.

It's certainly not one of the top 10 best animated series ever as far as overall quality goes...perhaps not even in the top 20, but the nostalgic appeal is undeniable.

What, exactly, was wrong with the voice work? If anything, that was the series' best quality.

14. Shipley

Shipley none

News Credits:
    the stories and animation may not have been the best then or now.

But the basic idea of Transforming robots was great, and even if the shows they starred in weren't always perfect, almost all the characters were given great personalities and great voices. It inspired a great amount of imagination for me and others because it became very easy to take the toys you had and the ideas laid out and come up with your own Transformer stories.

15. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    I always loved G1 original series. It was cool and great for me. Nowadays I admited the tons and tons of mistakes in the series, and I don't even try to get an explanation for everything. Just understand that it was made to sell toys.

But I pass on the figures. I don't collect G1 anymore.

16. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I'm with Draven on this. As a kid I never got to see much of the cartoon, but the snippets I saw at age 10 looked thrilling. I always assumed that it was as good as the comics I had my nose buried in.

On watching the G1 shows years later I was horrified to discover that it seemed pretty appalling by comparison, with terrible voice acting, mind-numbingly turgid stories and a distinct lack any excitement. I can still happily settle down with a few marvel issues, but 2 minutes into the old animated episodes and I'm at 'nails-on-a-chalkboard' stage of discomfort...

When I talk about G1 it tends to be in reference to those comics - I always forget that everyone else is talking about the cartoon!:eek: 

17. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    for me it was beast wars. in the 2nd and 3rd season it raised g1 to "the great war" status. I vaugely remeber g1 as a child but beast wars made it seem so much more important than I had remebered. for me it turned g1 from cartoon to legend.

18. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I love G1 more than any other Transformers show and not for nostaglia. The reasons why this show is so awesome are:
    1. It CREATED Transformers
    2. The animation still looks better than any other show of Transformers (to me anyway)
    3. Great characters
    4. Excellent voice acting
    5. It didn't talk down to kids like a lot of shows since have.
    6. Huge armies of robots fighting each other!
    7. Realistic vehicles for the robots (for the most part)

G1 isn't perfect by any means but it is the best Transformer show I have seen and I have seen pretty much all of them (though not a lot of A/E/C). I liked its more serious tone (for a cartoon keep in mind) with the only one that was maybe more serious being Beast Machines. I also don't think it is half as cheesy as a lot of other Transformer shows. Great stuff.

19. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Couldn't really say it better myself. Since I was at the older end of the viewer-ship (11 y/o), I already knew it wasn't the best cartoon ever (that was Lion-Voltron, as Robotech wasn't on in my area)- but the "classic" fight of good v evil, and the 'humanity' of many of the TFs... got me. Plus the voices of many of the characters.

And the tech-specs + Marvel comics = a rich universe of characters. A universe I'm glad has revived thx to the movie & TF:A, to share 'current' stuff with my son & nephew.

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I was a lot more forgiving as a kid.

Plus, I never actually caught the cartoon that often, it used to only be shown on UK TV on Saturday mornings in 5 minute chunks, it was very easy to miss a part.

I didn't pick up the weekly comic either, I did get the collected comics a lot though.