Why does everyone love G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by weeklyhero, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone that loves it would claim it was because the writing was Oscar worthy. Despite all the flaws, it's just fun to watch. Not sure exactly why. The score? The voice acting? The goofiness in each episode? Some weird combination of all of the above? Not sure. I just know it's fun to watch as long as you watch it for what it is. A cartoon. If you over think it, you will see all these flaws and will completely miss the point. Shut off your brain, and just be entertained. Kinda like how you have to do with the new movie.

2. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Depends. Most of the G1 cartoon stories were kind of lame and generic, but there are quite a few concepts that are worth while that perhaps in the initial execution were semi-successful, were referenced and built upon in later series or episodes.

The VA work really helped each character have their own distinct personalities (even if it was just minor things that were touched upon) and had a magic that's lacking in the Japanese series imported to the US (with maybe the exception of RID).

The other thing you have to understand is that G1 is literally the only Transformers series that has huge battles between Autobots and Decepticons and there were so many characters involved that you knew the armies were big and more importantly, you knew the characters who made up those armies. Every other series has failed to portray the war between the Autobots and Decepticons AS a war. I mean, even though I've been enjoying Animated, can someone please tell me when we'll actually be treated to a battle that doesn't have the same old five Autobots outnumbering one Decepticon?

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Its simple. Back in G1, the Transformers were more than just cars/robots. They were robots in disguise. They were lifelike looking vehicles that turned into giant fighting robots. Total win. The show also served to bring some character to those awesome toys. Of course, this was before Hasbro decided that everything has to be "futuristik!!1" and painted in all neon colors. Once they did that, they really ran G1 into the ground.

Note: I grew up with G2, so I already had everything painted in neon colors and all. Even when I was little I knew it looked horrible. Thats why I want the real G1 to come back in a big way.

Also this. Some really interesting episodes, the VA work, and the very important hugeness of G1. TONS of characters really made it seem like they were in a huge robot war.

4. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    The one thing that is most commonly overlooked when you watch Transformers as an adult. If you're as old as I am, you were 8 years old when you first saw Transformers! And you were the target audience! Go find a paper you wrote when you were 8, or a picture you drew. I'm pretty sure it will have the same lack of quality and refinement. It's an 80's cartoon that was targeted at children (boys 6-12). Thats who they made it for and the quality control was done accordingly.

That being said, there is a huge difference in the production quality of the animated movie versus the cartoon. I'm not saying its awesome but its very watchable as an adult. In the 80's cartoons were greatly controlled by time/money. These days they can't make enough cartoons. There are a billion good Asian animation production companies, and the medium is much more respected now. Cartoons aren't just for kids these days, so you see better production, and much more solid story lines.

I would give my left nut for a G1 series remake. Original story episode for episode (with a few fixed plot holes), updated art, animation, solid editing (biggest fault of G1 thats what makes it seem so poorly done).

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The simple answer is nostalgia. The (slightly) more complex answer is that G1 was the first to set up the world, the whole concept of living transforming robots with personalities, and the character archetypes. Other shows have improved upon or surpassed G1 in a lot of ways, but they all build on the base of core concepts that G1 set up.

Everyone talks about how great a building is (or isn't). They rarely talk about how pretty or well made the foundation is.

(and for what it's worth, G1 isn't my favorite TF show)

6. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Agreed I love cheesyness in a cartoon

7. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As many people have stated, it's nostalgia. It seems like you're comparing the new shows to the old. It was a different time, production quality has changed as has the technology. While we're at it, why don't we hate movie's from the 30's because they're not even in color, how prehistoric. Every movie out there has continuity errors. Does it make them bad? No. Do I think G1 is a great show? Not really, but I do enjoy it.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. Beachcomber happens to be one of my favorite characters because of his personality. I see him as the Tigatron of G1. Tracks as far I know hasn't come out of the closet. So you're speculating on whether he fancies Arcee or Springer.

"Inaccurate toy models" - Toys were made before the show. I can't imagine what a cartoon would be like if the character were limited by what their toy can do.

Spike: Help me Ironhide.
    Optimus: I can't, I don't have elbows.

"lame plots" I'll agree with you, some of the stories are pretty cheesy. However, there are plenty of things that came from the 80's that people now think of is cheesy. In 20 years people will think the stuff we think is cool now is cheesy. I mean come on... a movie about a world run by machines and a guy name Neo saves the world, how ridiculous. Hindsight is a funny thing.

Call me crazy, but I can't think of many cartoons that have substance. I guess you don't like 95% of the action and comedy movies ever made, because they don't have substance. Transformers was a show meant to entertain kids. I think it succeeded in that, given the fan base that is still loyal after 20+ years.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Yep, nostalgia. Though I mainly like the toys. I can only watch a select few episodes of the show, most of them are REALLY bad. But I loved it as a kid, so...

9. Rizzlemus_Prime

Rizzlemus_Prime Bounty Hunter

Dude not only is it for the nostalgia but its cause it had some certain spark to makes us rush out there and buy the toys something no cartoon these days can do in my opinion for the kids these days..so:bowdown:  and say sorry for hurting my feelings and if you aint a transformer fan what you here for!!!!GRRRRRRRRRR!:mad 

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally don't like it, and I think it's the worst TF series so far. Nostalgia plays a big part in why peole like it. It's the same thing with me and RID, as it's my "G1". Even though I did watch Beast Wars, it wasn't until RID that I was drawn in and became a fan of Transformers.

11. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

fighting robots that could also become cars/planes/ect. pure awesomeness as a kid. Rewatching as an adult, yes its cheesy and silly, but its just fun to let yourself go back to your childhood for a lil bit and just enjoy the sheer number of giant robots fighting.

12. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I still enjoy watching the first two seasons. I find the show to be a lot more enjoyable than most newer cartoons.

I still don't know where the hell the whole "Tracks is gay" thing comes from from. He was snooty, yeah. But, I never saw him hit on one of the other bots.

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    For me it's a good deal of nostalgia coupled with some of the really great episodes. I mean, while there are a bunch of cringe worthy episodes you also get some really good ones (particularly in Season One, which is actually my favorite G1 season) and some of the mid to late Season Two is decent too (though I agree with the guy whom said he wanted to forget Autobot Spike, but I try not to take that episode to seriously).

Also, I think that when you watch G1 you realize that this was the groundwork that started everything. Every other series has in some way built apon what G1 started. Whether it's by being a futuristic continuation (such as BW & BM) or because it's attempted to in some way reinvent the wheel while using it as a building block (RID, A/E/C, Movie & Animated)... they all take their nods from G1. And Animated seems to be taking nods from other fan favorite series too... like it's BW nods in certain things.

I think that, in the end, G1 is fun to watch because there's actually depth to the characters. And, while some characterization didn't matter, because it never really came up again (or in the case of Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime any growth was ingnored by the writers) you at least go a sense of who the individual characters are and what they were about. Which is, sadly, something that I think Beast Wars, Beast Machines and Animated have managed to mimic. I can't say much about RID as I've not watched a lot of it (was never home when it was on as I had my first job during that time), but I watched all of Armada, Energon and Cybertron and my biggest complaint with those series is that you don't get much individual characterization. Armada tried and it's better than the later two, but Energon was just horrible in this area and characters would show up in one episode to be totally forgotten about one or two episodes later without any sense of who they are or what they're purpose is. Cybertron wasn't as bad, but I think that they failed to characterize that characters properly because the writers couldn't make 'anime space opera' meet huge cast of characters. And that's the thing about G1... there wasn't any far reaching plot and you could just enjoy it on a base level without having to think too hard or having to have watched the last twenty episodes. And, with the level of characterization that they did... you could also just watch to enjoy the characters.

Just my two cents though.

14. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    it's real simple. as others have said, you can't knock the toys when it comes to the kawtune; the toys were around way before it. as far as saying the toys sucked anyway, that's subjective. what isn't subjective is that G1 had citybots. citybots rule. so G1 rules because hasbro can't figure out how to make those anymore.

15. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good point angeltread... G1 citybots just can't be beat.

16. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

Nostalgia. After all, alot of us grew up on G1 and loved it regardless of the crappy stories or bad cartoon work in some of the episodes. I personally think the Post-BeastWars 'former toons stink, but then again there are a million kids to disagree w/ me. All a matter of opinion :) 

P.S. - G1 RULES!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D 

17. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    To be honest I only watched it a little bit as a kid. I absorbed a lot of everything and transformers was a footnote. Watching the complete g1 series now I appreciate it as a new thing, The voice work is good, the writing is engageing and The action is addictive.

The art style of the era is familiar though, I like the toned down colors and sharp lines with hand painted backgrounds. Companies pinch their animation budget so much these days that characters can barely move or blink.
    (looking at you naruto)

I like watching robotech and transformers not because they were a huge part of my childhood but because I find a good source of entertainment from them.

And Since I'm entertained its not a waste of my leisure time.

18. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

That was what got me started on what I love to do Collect. Yeah the show was corny in most ways but dang it was great as a kid when it came on watching my toys come to life on screen. Ahhh the Memories.

19. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

If G1 was never around , then we wouldn't have TFs.

20. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

The characters in the show, the movie, and of course, THE TOYS!!!!