Why does everyone love G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by weeklyhero, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

Somehow, I doubt even video games are enough to make a bunch of collectors a bigger force in hasbro's profits than kids. Especially considering Transformers is aimed at the younger kids, around 4-8, who haven't got into video games yet.

2. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I was going to talk crap about the toyline too. I mean Armada's minicon's had more articulation than most of the G1 toys.

That's what I'm thinking. I loved all those old cartoons, but only TF has really survived this long. Do you ever see conventions for Ninja Turtles? Nope. Even my fiance just said they killed the turtles. So what is it about TF specifically?

3. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

They're Robots and Cars! what else could you want??!! back then they were two toys in one and the cartoon just brought your toys to life on saturdays. I don't know what exactly makes it better than all of the other 80's crap people claim is awesome cause it's old, but it's just generally better. and always will be.

4. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    The characters were varied and interesting - even the bad guys were written as individuals and not just your usual generic list of baddies doing whatever their leader said, unlike pretty much every other show on at the time. And the corniness and drama both seemed to fit, often in the same episode.

There are few who actually 'hate' Beast Wars because of it. The few may be vocal, or infamous, but they're few. Especially in comparison to the G1 fans who LIKE BW and on.

And sometimes, something will just capture people's hearts, and the why will never be fully explainable to anyone who doesn't 'get it'.

--Moony

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, I watched some Voltron the other day--yeesh.

But those properties haven't developed the same way Transformers has. When you watch Thundercats, you're seeing a pretty standard '80s cartoon. When you watch Transformers, you're seeing that, sure. But you're also seeing the roots of something you've continued to enjoy for years, and the underlying history of today's fiction and toys.

If nothing else, there's value in that.

6. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

Dude its a friggin cartoon. Why does everyone love it? Cause its the godfather, its the original. If it were to be remade it would be like seeing the Beatles reunite (if that were possible).

I have tried to watch some of the other series like Armada but have yet to get hooked like I did with G1. I even thought about other toy lines to collect and the only line beside G1 and the movie that I even remotely like is the alternators.

I have never seen an episode of beast wars but the toys absolutely do not appeal to me. Lets see robots that change into animals??? WTF?

Is G1 perfect? No. Mistakes? Yes. Entertaining? Absolutely. I watch other cartoons today and I have one question....where did all the fun go???

7. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I've been watching some of the G1 episodes and I can see how people wouldn't like it. I'm watching a few of the episodes that come right after Heavy Metal War (one of my favorites), and I can't get over how silly some of the stuff is.

Autobot Spike was just something I wanted to forget.

I will have to agree with most of the defenders of G1.. it's nostalgic. It's where it all started for a lot of fans. No matter how silly or just plain bad it is, we'll never stop loving it in some way...

8. DinobotGrimlock

DinobotGrimlock Well-Known Member

I have loved Transformers almost since I was born.I started getting them when I was almost 3. They are some of the earliest toys I have. The G1 cartoon had great characterization. And I think the clencher for me is and always will be Optimus Prime driving off to a final show down with Megatron. But most of the episodes just deal with bringing more depth to your favorite characters. I watched God Gambit yesterday going into it thinking ugh i wish I had a different disc in so I could watch a good episode. But I loved it because it saw Jazz basically single handedly taking on 3 Decepticons and doing the whole hero thing. I loved it. when I was a kid i loved Heman too. No where near as much as Transformers but enough that I thought I should get a volume to see what I loved so much and I hated it. The fact that it didn't turn me gay is amazing, and it sucked I haven't watched it since I first got it.

9. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Agreed

10. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I only watched G1 about a few months ago, and I absolutely love it. I don't know why, but there's just something about it that makes you keep watching it. The Decepticons are pretty awesome, too.

11. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

While it may be a toy commercial, it did some stuff better than your average saturday morning cartoon, like distinguishable characterization in some cases, slightly-more complex than average good guy/villain organizations and some quite good eps and so. Not sayin' I'm the best critic though.

But most importantly;

Not taking it too seriously.

12. Thundercloud

Thundercloud Lone wolf

To me what made G1 great were the main characters.
    The iconic Optimus Prime, the small friendly Bumblebee, the despicable Megatron, the traitorous Starscream and others.

They are the main reason I remember for waking up early in a Saturday morning, not to watch a story line, just because I wanted to see those characters.

The problem with rewatching Transformers episodes now that I am older, is that now I understand whats going on. When I was a kid I just didn't care. I just wanted to see Optimus.

13. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me the 86 movie changed everything. It linked me emotionally to Transformers. They've killed my childhood heroes, only to turn them into lifetime legends.

14. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I'd liken it to the old 60's comics from Marvel or DC. Hell, even the 40's ones. If you read those now, they are atrocious. But it built the groundwork for some of the greatest comics stories of all time. G1 is the same way. It's rough around the edges at times, but without G1, who's to say they ever would have come up with Beast Wars or any of the other series? We'd still have imported piloted Japanese anime bots instead of bots with souls and personalities. And as far as the toy line, it's called technological advancement. Put a PS3 against an Atari 2600 and it's no contest which is the better graphically rendered system. But will people still vege out for hours playing Pong and Pac Man and the like? Yep. If I remember correctly, they even revamped a ton of the old Atari era games for PS2. THAT is why fans want a return to G1. Why Classics is so revered as a toyline. Take what you love, remove the faults, and instant win. A cartoon based on the Classics line would soar. And honestly, I think would even dethrone the new Animated. Maybe that's just me, but I think it would.

On a side note, you referenced Beast Wars as a better cartoon. It's been around half as long, and hasn't spurred a ton of redesigns and the like. Unless you count BW stuff being repainted to be revamped G1 characters (Ought to tell you something). In fact, the only return to BW we've had other than universe would be the Predacons in RID (A sort of goodbye to them, IMHO) and Blackarachnia in Animated. Speaks volumes that there isn't NEAR the requests for BW characters showing up in Animated as there are G1

15. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Aside from the voice acting and cooler stories in general (TFs have no armies of mice and such), you know one big thing that puts TFs in a higher rank for me? The fucking music. Voltron had like....ONE SONG, that overly triumphant shit just pounding away throughout all 22 mintues of every episode damn near. BOM BOM BOM!!! BAH BAH DAH, DAH DAH-DAH, DAH DAH-DAHHHH DAHHHH, DAH-DAH DAH, BOM BOM BOM!!!!

TF's soundtrack got over-used too but at least there was a good handful of songs.

16. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to chime in on the character draw... I'm working my thru the G1 series right now, and while the plots are silly and the animation has issues, I still love seeing the characters in action. Couple that with the fact that the animated movie is one of my favorite movies of all time, and that there are few things I enjoy more than G1 toy collecting, and it's just a combination I can't shake.

Now, what's interesting is that I was never really aware of the Marvel comics until a few years ago, and I've started picking those up (like iss 1-5 and Target 2006 TPB), and I find them a totally different beast... I'm still not sure if I really like them or not.

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I love G1 because I grew up with it. That's about all I got.

18. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I grew up on that show. Yea I'd have to nostalgia too.
    Plus it was a hell of a lot better then Armada, Energon, or Cybertron. Yea they had 3d animation but they were horrible compared to BW which was made ten years earlier.

And wait a minute......are you busting on the inaccurate toy molds of Ironhide and Ratchet? The animated and comic versions of them are so much better looking then the actually toys? How is that a complaint?
    And as for continuity errors....Let's be honest, it was/is a kids show. And they were still working out the origins as they were making it. Whatever gaps were left just connect the dots yourself.

19. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I love the music in G1. Especially the jazzy music.

20. Master Sing

Master Sing G1 OG

eXACTLY - Let's put it in this perspective: the G-1 cartoon is 24 yrs old... to compare it to what we got in 2008 is similar to comparing G-1 to cartoons 24 yrs before it - those in 1960!

Have you seen some of the orignal Spider-Man cartoons in the late 60's?