Why do you want toon accuracy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Duskscream, Oct 18, 2020.

1. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    If there is a greater proof of "the line is whatever Hasbro says it is and that is subject to change at any time" than Studio Series 86, I haven't seen it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like that optimus, but I sold him. sometimes I regret it. He was cool but he didn't fill any voids in my collection. He was movielike but G1 like at the same time. If I didn't have PE Jinrai and PM Optimus, i probably would've kept him. I loved that he was able to look up completely which was great for his flight mode. I never loved TR Megatron though, but I will respect your love for him all the time.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I have to agree with the toon fans regarding this thread, even though I personally don't like the animation-accurate look.

My TF interests are rooted in the toys because I started collecting them before the cartoon debuted, and I found the animation designs disappointing. Many people were introduced to Transformers through the cartoon, and bought the toys later, or else passed on the toys because they didn't look enough like the characters they liked on the screen.

So, I get it. Some people prefer the cartoon designs. I don't, but I also don't need contrasting preferences explained to me. No offense to the OP, but this is a thread that exists only to create arguments and division.

• Like Like x 3
  4. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

Kingdom Rodimus, SS86 kup and Blurr would like their Toon Heads now...
    I'm pretty sure this thread proves... No matter what Hasbro does people gonna Bitch.

5. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I can't find a translation program that will convert this to English.

6. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I don't think simple head swaps would satisfy both camps anyway. A simple head swap on MP-52, for example, will not make me appreciate that figure. It would take multiple remolded parts with added detail, different colored plastics and paint, and possibly even tampos to lure me to it. Likewise, most cartoon fans are disappointed in MP-53 Skids despite it having a cartoon-accurate head, because the sculpting and engineering don't deliver that animation look.

7. OZsket

OZsket Well-Known Member

Accurate to show/movie for me.
    But there need to be a balance, ss86 grimlock for example is covered in detail that for me makes him look so much more interesting than plain smooth panels.

Then you have earthrise grapple that has so much toxic orange because it’s slavishly cartoon accurate and makes me feel sick looking at it.

8. Toolala

Toolala Breast Master

[​IMG]

9. JazzAlert13

JazzAlert13 Well-Known Member

Hmm, for me it depends on the character. Take Huffer, for example, while I love the goofy, cute, doofy little grump from G1 I’m happy with the Kingdom update. Still keeps the charm of the original while making it look cooler. Honestly Kingdom Huffer strikes a perfect balance between adorable and sick as hell.

However there are some designs that I love from the toon that done need updating. Take Grimlock, while I haven’t gotten my hands on the SS86 version it looks so G1 accurate, which is perfect for me as I believe the G1 Dinobots already have perfect designs.
    There are also non G1 cartoons in which I think the toys should be accurate (namely Animated. Please don’t change it Hastak. Then again TF2010 Lugnut is pretty rad. So maybe changes could be cool. Grr, why must I curse myself with indecision).

That being said I love the addition of surface details and greebles so I hope that they don’t stop doing that, even if it isn’t as accurate as possible.

I should also add that completely changing a design can also work. Personally I’ve never been a huge Sunstreaker fan. Or Grapple. Maybe I hate yellow? Anyways, a huge update to them to really change it while keeping the core idea of the character (to not make it unrecognizable and basically a separate character) would be sick as hell. But not necessary.

10. volatus

volatus Aristocratic Airborne Decepticon

Necromancer.gif

I think I like a mix. I enjoy the Sunbow cartoon and the Floro Dery-derived designs, but (apart from unrelated reasons like cost and fear of damaging them) one of the reasons I avoid MPs is I don't always feel like the cartoon designs make the best toys. I kind of like the highly greebled, battle-damaged style of the WFC toys. But some of the exceptions there are what I consider some of the best-styled MPs and the least "accurate" WFC figures like Hound, Cheetor, Tracks, and Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Toon accuracy is actually more difficult to design and execute. That’s what I want. Give us convincing vehicle/alt modes and simplified toon robots like in the cartoon. It takes me to my happy place, watching the cartoons as a boy, many years ago. Others could want “cool” greebles and stylized robots and that’s fine but I just want the robots I grew up with.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    What's interesting nearly a year later is I feel much stronger about my post here than when I first wrote it. Additionally, I've gotten back into the main line a good bit, and there's been a shift towards this aesethic as well. It may not be as hyper-realized as much as Masterpiece, but I gravitate to the main line for these reasons as well. As others have also stated, this look is simply "The Transformers". It's not an "iteration" or a "re-imagining" of characters or even an extension of/continuing the story. When I think of "TRANSFORMERS", THIS is what I think of and nothing else. That doesn't mean I dislike other things, but it does mean those are secondary.

Except for Alternators/Binaltech, but that's a completely separate thing for me, so I digress.

13. maloney4playz

maloney4playz tfp enjoyer, waspinator appreciator

i want tfp show accuracy because many of the designs werent done justice from the original toyline, namely airachnid and knockout.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Terrorpin

Terrorpin Well-Known Member

I used to prefer cartoon accuracy when I was a kid. But then I got older and was introduced to mecha like Gundam. I quickly realized Transformers were also mecha, and now prefer they are presented as such.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    When the cartoon aired, I viewed those depictions as what the Transformers should look like. An optimized version. And that toys just couldn't look like that. It was always my dream to have toys that looked like the cartoon characters. G1 cartoon is my favorite transformers fiction next to IDW1. I also didn't have any of the characters from the cartoon as toys and most of my toys were never in the cartoon. So I don't have the connection and nostalgia for the original toy aesthetic. I have that only with Powermasters and Headmasters, as I became a fan in 1988. Although even then I often prefer the box art over the actual toy look :D 

To be precise: I love the Japanese robot/mecha look. As such I prefer designs that look more like that and not like an American typically would design a robot. As such I want modern transformers to look more like Gundam than Animated, Prime, RID15 or Cyberverse.

That's also why I still love Classics Optimus Prime. Don Figueroa captured that pretty great. I would want transformers to go more in that direction look wise. Just better articulation.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    A while ago I read something about how if you get the first and last letter of a word right, and enough letters in between in whatever order, the mind will go ahead and understand it. So for instance, you can wirte a senetnce lkie tihs and the brain won't really need to pause and go "wait what is this saying," you'll still recognise it without difficulty.

That's the level of accuracy I want. Gimme just enough right that my brain sweeps over it without difficulty and then make whatever changes between the first and last letter that will make the toy better.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In 35 years of this franchise existing with multiple different incarnations/designs of multiple different characters (some even unlicensed with the largest 3P industry of any single IP in the world), I can't understand why anyone would make such a big deal of toon designs having their turn in the spotlight for a short while.

Don't like SS86 Scourge/Sweeps? Great! You're certainly not hurting in any way for alternative options that have already come and gone, all of whom are very non-toon inspired in their physical designs. Same goes for a majority of other recent WFC/SS86 figures.

• Like Like x 5
  18. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Lol, yes, at long last, a small place for G1 nostalgia in the Transformers franchise.

• Like Like x 5
  19. JazzAlert13

JazzAlert13 Well-Known Member

I mean, to be fair, for the most part preWFC the G1 toys were not accurate (at least in mainline).

20. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nostalgia. It's how I most vividly remember Transformers
    tenor.gif