Why do you collect Fans Toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by northernautobot, Aug 30, 2020.

1. northernautobot

northernautobot Frozen Autobot in MN

Hi all,

While I'm not new to Transformers or the 3P collecting scene, my shelves are admittedly full of more CHUG-ish style figures (MMC Reformatted, MakeToys, Hasbro, random others) and when I do venture into the world of Masterpiece, it's either HasTak or the few Generation Toy 3Ps I have. However, I constantly see the buzz over EVERY single Fans Toys release, whether its a new mold or a repaint, especially on this forum and with several Youtube reviewers.

When I look at a FT figure, I do agree that they look fantastic, and very animation accurate, and seem to come with some great accessories. That being said, I've never owned one, and have only handled one or two. They also come across as incredibly expensive compared to most other 3P items.

So that being said, why do you go for them over other options? Not looking to bash or anything, just legitimately curious as to why they have a place on your shelves, and why you've opted for a FT release over something else (official or otherwise).

2. solskjaer

solskjaer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess it is down to personal preference. Sometimes it is very difficult to tell from the pictures, especially if you like transforming it. But the best thing for FT is the high resale value: if you can preorder, just preorder and buy it to take a look. I can almost guarantee you won’t lose a penny if you don’t like it and decide to sell it. It is like you try it our free and most likely you can end up with some profit if you don’t like it

3. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Honestly, I find most FT figures to have issues with the transformation or articulation that, combined with their price and this new "preorder it within 10 minutes or you're not getting one" trend, have me preferring alternatives. Quakeblast over Quakewave, the Gigasaurs over the Dibots, Maketoys Reflector and Hound, MMC's Springer and Arcee, DX9's Omega Supreme, etc. Even in some cases where I think FT does have the best version overall I don't see it as being worth the upgrade. I'm keeping my Takara Hot Rod and Soundwave, my Maketoys Jazz, my Badcube Huffer and Brawn, my XTB Beachcomber and Seaspray. Most of the Fans Toys stuff I've bought are the cases where I really feel they had the best offering (Cyclonus, Jetfire, and I have Astrotrain preordered) or characters I bought multiple versions of (the Stunticons, Galvatron, the Insecticons).

• Like Like x 4
  4. solskjaer

solskjaer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Another good thing of FT is that when they release a new character, it will drive the price of the same character from another company down quite a bit. This is the time to pick up

• Like Like x 2
  5. malckav

malckav Well-Known Member

For me they have more quality than the rest, it is true that they have flaws, don't the others? In hand they weigh more (they use more die cast) and in general I like their robot-shaped designs more, but as others say, that does not mean that I simply buy the one I like the most, Skyfire and Astrotrain I lost them, a lot of money , is the bad.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dead End14

Dead End14 Well-Known Member

The face sculpts. Apart from the Takara and the recent TE-03, no company nails the face sculpts as much as Fans Toys does.

And for me that makes... Or breaks a Transformer.

• Like Like x 2
  7. edgecrusher

edgecrusher When yer featherin' it, brother TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For any shortcomings they have, they're still (unfortunately?) the most consistent G1 MP producer in the market.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Dead End14

Dead End14 Well-Known Member

I agree it would be better if there would be more competition. I hope TE shifts it into overdrive, cause now it just leaves FT in the drivers seat.

• Like Like x 4
  9. bradam

bradam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My personal preference is the toy look like it walked right off the TV screen. Fanstoys seems the closest to toon accurate of all the 3rd parties out there. Not to say there isn't other good 3rd parties, i just like their designs the best. Plus the paint and the heft to their figures is prolly the best out there atm.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    I have many FT figures, but I don’t “collect” FT figures per se.

Do I *usually* prefer them, over the competition - even when compared to official figures? *Usually* yes - not always though.

I prefer the official Hound to FT’s. However I think TT’s upcoming Alien Face , grandmom boob gravity and mountain climbing Barbie they’re releasing as “Arcee” is a ****ing joke.

I also prefer Quakeblast to Quakewave.

FT’s figures always feel very nice also. Despite any transformation shortcomings their newer products have; the face sculpts and everything else are usually pretty premium and spot on.

• Like Like x 2
  11. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    oh how times change :lol  there was a point in time when ft facesculpts were a sore point :lol 

• Like Like x 5
  12. MagnusAfterDark

MagnusAfterDark Well-Known Member

13. Metroplexcity2019

Metroplexcity2019 Cybertronian

Hello, for me, more than anything collecting any type of Transformers is mostly out of pure nostalgia. I have many good memories surrounding the years 1984-1986 between the ages 9-11. I honestly do not think of myself as a FT collector, but as a MP TT/3P collector, with FT being one of the better 3P companies. I mean I own figures manufactured by Takara, Badcube, DX9, Maketoys, Unique Toys, X-Transbots, Zeta, and Fans Toys. Because collecting these toys is based on nostalgia based on the animation, I tend to get excited about toon accuracy. To date, I think Takara and Fans Toys have produced the highest number of unique characters of animation inspired figures. So far as expense goes, I accepted many sacrifices, like the only toys I collect/purchase for myself are MP/3P TF, I sold many items from past collections/hobbies to help cover the expense, and I limit my other living expenses to minimums. I guess you could say I could not really afford to collect MP/3P, but I made a way through sacrifice. Is it worth it? Yes and no for different reasons.

On other options, I like to gather all the information, photos, comparisons, etc. before I make any MP/3P purchase. Sometimes waiting pays off, other times it means missing out. Been there for both. In some instances other companies produce a better figure than FT at least in my opinion, like DX9 Gabriel, TT Hound, and Cloud 9 Quakeblast, even if by a small margin. However as of 2020 it appears Fans Toys is producing the best G1 toon inspired 3P MP styled TF available, and that is what hits the nostalgia spot the hardest!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Cause they make figures Takara never gets around to.
    When MP-01 came out I was talking about getting a Mp megatron to go with it.
    People told me (in here) it would never happen,he's a gun, we'd see a MP Galvatron long before we see a MP megatron. They were so sure it would happen.
    Now we have had 2 Mp megatrons and still no Galvatron more than 10 years later.
    We are on our what now the 3rd version of Mp Starscream....yet there are so many others they have never made and they are remaking earlier figures...I have no idea how they decide to make these figures. There are so many they just ignore.

Meanwhile Fan Toys made one that works fine as a Mp Galvatron. FT makes figures I'm not likely to see from Takara till I'm a very old man.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  15. OstOgBajer

OstOgBajer Well-Known Member

I collect them solely to piss off other collectors who whine about the "FT zealots".

Seriously though...

They often look the best and that is what is most important to me. They also tend to feel the best (I'm not talking about weight, but rigidity and how solidly they usually tab in). I prefer the stiffness of the joints. They seem to hold up better over time compared to bots from other companies that tend to get loose and floppy. Even though the transformations are often a PITA, I love the engineering. They tend to have far fewer issues with stress marks and I'm less worried about breaking them on average.

And before someone has to respond to me saying "but they have such and such problem, you're clearly a Fans Toys Fangirl" ... I'm quite aware of their problems. I'm explaining why I like them, not detailing every pro and con.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Jersey_Steel

Jersey_Steel Well-Known Member

I only buy them if I feel they are the best version out there. There are many cases especially lately where they look the best, but are such a paperweight when it comes to articulation. They certainly aren't worth aftermarket prices and in some instances, the new pricing makes them cost more than they are worth as well. Unfortunately, FT has created an ultimate market for themself by purposely under producing figures to drive up demand and cost.

17. King Nergil

King Nergil Ruler of a lost kingdom

Because of their weight. I like to work out with my figures.

• Like Like x 6
  18. paparazz0

paparazz0 Well-Known Member

I’ve only been collecting since June of this year, due to being stuck at home cause of shelter in place, and needed an outlet for my disposable income. I’ve gone through a ton of Studio Series, KO’s of Masterpieces and 3p’s, etc. From watching hours of reviews and pictures, Fanstoys has complicated, but brilliant engineering. The aesthetic is extremely sharp and clean, and captures the toon look excellently. No unnecessary kibble, no frills, solid sharp lines, excellent color choices. Plastic material looks sturdy and not cheap.

My first FT arrived this week, Magnum, and I was SURPRISED by the weight. It is a SOLID CHUNK of diecast and plastic. I bought it because the figure looked slim and sturdy, especially compared to DX9 and xtc(?). I ordered Beachcomber because of the way they fit the roll-cage into the body, and the plastic looked solid. I ordered Hunk because of the color palette and he looked like a solid heavy chunk of plastic. Warpath’s silhouette is svelte and all kibble hidden. I’m thinking about FT Koot, but am still on the fence about him, he’s pricey and I don’t have an emotional justification yet. I’ve preordered a bunch more FT stuff due to the aesthetics of this brand and the quality of the material used. Also to avoid the fucking late tax.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Cause they made MP Galvatron, Cyclonus and Mindwipe.
    And because they look awesome.

20. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Great minds think alike.

• Like Like x 1