Why do you buy the figures you buy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AutobotSkids, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    I stick to G1 nods, and occasionally just buy a cool mode, or movie-verse version of bots I like. Also I'm an avid animated collector.

If they Make TF Prime Arcee though, I'll buy tons of her. LOVE that design.

2. poorboy8u

poorboy8u Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It has to be a character I like and look good in bot mode first then alt mode. or just be kick ass like terradive for example. or Oil slick in animated.

3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I buy figures that I think look interesting, basically anything monstrous, weird, unusual, non-humanoid, unconventional, or just plain WTF. That goes for both robot and alt modes, though I prefer realistic Earth modes.

I'd like to keep my collection somewhat small (like if I need to move I can take them all with me in only a box or two), so I generally only get one of each mold and one of each character.
    I rarely make a purchase based on reviews or recommendations, though I have to admit I bought ROTF Ransack and Hubcap purely because of a certain Indiana Jones-related post here. :lol 

4. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I buy based on the design and aesthetic more than anything, followed by my desire for specific characters.

5. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I buy what's missing :p 
    ...and what appeals to me.

6. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

I'll buy almost anything and everything as long as it's cheap. I want as much variation in my collection as possible.

I mostly prefer BW toys or any Transformers with a beast mode such as the insecticons and seacons but it doesn't really matter. I won't buy repaints of the same characters though.

7. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    This hobby is a very consuming obsession for me, and I do a lot of research well before a figure is released, so I know if I want it or not.

In the case of TFs, character selection, mold novelty (or lack thereof), paint apps, articulation, price, size, and transformation all come into play but in no distinct way. Stuff like accessories and source material come into play with some other lines. If the overall appeal of those factors is high enough to me, I'll drop my hard-earned money on the toy.

One quality that overrides all the others: if it's Starscream and I don't already have some version of the mold, I want it. And even if I do, I still may want it.

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is actually a fascinating question to me.

It can be one of several things:

1. Love the nature or design of the character (Dinobot, Bludgeon, Animated Shockwave, any Starscream)

2. Saw good reviews of the toy (bonus points for exceptional cleverness, screen accuracy, uniqueness)

3. Virtually any specific Season 3 or early G2 homage (RAPIDO)

4. Fits an aesthetic I'm developing, i.e. fits very well visually and thematically with a character I got for reason #1. Have several of these "themes," including G1-themed Classics, Movie factions (usu. keep them apart for scale reasons), with various more minor interests.

5. Strange and random obsessions that are probably without reason and frighten me.

6. Price. Prioritize!

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I buy fucking everything...cuz I have a problem.

10. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

There are characters I will buy no matter what, but for the most part I will buy any figure that looks awesome.

11. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    9 times out of 10, I've already decided whether to purchase a figure or not before I even find it on the shelf. I'm much more particular with my buying habits these days than I used to be (there was a time when I had to come home with a new TF - I had a sickness... :lol ). These days, the figure has to appeal to me, it needs to have a certain charm, an "it-factor" - whether it's vintage or brand-new. It's probably why I've got less than 10 bay-verse figures. They just don't scratch my TF-itch.

12. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Basically, it needs to look good, and appeal to me. For example, I was being iffy on Skyburst, and when I saw him in TRU, I just fell in love with it for some reason. It just looked great. And I ended up with a great toy. That's how it is for me.

13. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I hate to say it, but I buy figures that are somewhat similar to their G1 counterparts. As far as the movie goes, I only buy onscreen characters. Almost everything in either movie line that has been an off-screen impulse buy, I have regretted as it doesn't really fit into my collection.

I think a lot of the animated series played well off their G1 counterparts, and made them pretty easy buys. I have never read a tech-spec in store, and don't think I have ever read a character bio even when I got it home. The fiction doesn't play a roll, as I don't really like any of the cartoon series, and am not into comics. I just like cool toys that remind me of my childhood but also enjoy the movie toys as they got me back into collecting.

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm a slave to the lines I collect. If it comes in a particular type of packaging, then I have to own it at some point down the line.

I may have to forcibly change this however, as I am running out of room for movie/ROTF figures! Many of which I will never open or probably even look at.

15. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I used to buy pretty much the entire line when I was younger and had more of an expendable income (IE didn't pay rent) but now I pretty much focus on purchasing the classics/generations molds and the individual figures I like. I tend to veer toward jets, things with teal, purple, white, or black, dinosaurs and decepticons.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I buy what I like, its as simple as that, I admit that the reviews have made me change my mind on a few figures.

17. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I buy new transformers toys based off my preferred designs/sculpts that I like.

18. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    If it's a character I like from the TV series or Bayformers, then I buy the figure if I feel it looks like them in robot mode. (I.E. I bought G1 Inferno over Universe Inferno because the former was closer to him in appearance than the latter.)

If it's a character I don't know very well/at all/dislike, then I rely on whether I a) like the alt-mode, and b) think the robot mode has personality. For example, when I bought Sonar yesterday I had no clue he even existed, but I thought that his alt-mode was great and his robot mode was quirky.

19. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I buy one of everything that comes to stores near me and pretty much one of most other stuff through the internet. I actually like most transformers to some degree. Some are stand out and become favourites but it is very rare that there will be one that I hate. Even if I hate one then because it is so rare I normally buy it anyway just to be complete.

20. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I keep up with any pictures, reviews, or videos regarding any future waves of transformers... then I pick out which ones I want the most, and then get those.
    If the store doesn't have the particular figure I'm looking for, I get what I see thats still good.
    I try to avoid same-character repaint/remolds, with the only exception in Bumblebee, Megatron, and Optimus.
    If I really love a figure... then I gladly will pick up it's repaint, but the said repaint won't be at the top of my want list...
    (I.E, I'm definitely getting HFTD Axor, and Generations Blurr, cause I happen to really dig those figures.)
    Easy enough? XD

What I normally look for in a figure is:
    ♦ Aesthetic
    ♦ Articulation
    ♦ Character
    ♦ Group (I.E. Seekers, twins, Elite Guard)
    ♦ Quality Control
    ♦ And, customer satisfaction... (I tally up the Negative - Positive feedback ratio...)