Why do you buy the figures you buy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AutobotSkids, Aug 7, 2010.

1. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Alright, hopefully you know what I'm talking about. Say you walk into a Toy Store full of Transformers you've never seen up close before, but you take one look at a certain figure, and you know you have to have that particular figure. What draws you to that certain Transformer?

Do you pick out particular toys because you like their characters? Do you pick out the toys that you think have cool Tech Specs and Bios? Or maybe you just like the color scheme, or the alternate modes of the toys you buy. Maybe you choose the figures because other board members say that said toys are great figures, well worth the money.

Often times, I buy certain figures because I like their Cartoon/Movie counterparts. Sometimes I buy a toy just so I can have a wide variety of different toys. Like how I have no Decepticon Tanks, so I'm trying to track one down, like Bludgeon, or Brawl. I don't often buy a toy just because I hear good things about it, I've stopped that ever since I bought RotF Mixmaster. :redface2: 

That's just me though. What about you?

2. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

I pretty much buy one of everything that isn't a straight repaint/repeat of something else.

Though if the bio/character/new paint is something I like then I might buy it as well, but it gets put at the bottom of the "to get" list. Often those extras are what I use to fill the gap between waves of new merchandise.

3. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    For me, since I don't buy very often any more, it's a combo of different factors.

I boils down to the character, paint, and alternate mode.

4. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I bought WFC Prime because he looked so cool, I just had to get him. I never bought Transformers in the last 16 years or so. I always looked at the pictures of the Classics Transformers when they were first announced and always thought about, how cool it would be, to be a kid again and have that toys. But I never bought them. I'm not sure if I'm regretting this, I guess a bit...

Now that I have WFC Prime I think I could get the set "Challenge at Cybertron", because they are all Deluxe sized and would fit together and I always loved Galvatron, Rodimus and Cyclonus. But I never saw the toy of Hot Rod when I was a kid and the other two had toys that I never liked (although I did not see them in stores either). Now I try to get them because I think they might look good together.

5. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

Its all about character, paint apps., transformation complexity, and badassery!!! If they look great, and have a great character in their appearence, then they are bought :D 

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, its been forever since I walked into Walmart/Target and brought a Transformer for myself. I usually buy everything online so what attracts me to a figure/line is the level of detail and/or if its a G1 character.

Thats why i'm a huge Masterpiece/Alternity/CHUG fan:thumbs2: .

7. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I buy megatron almost no matter what, but with other figures I take a look at the alt mode and the robot mode (on the back or whatever), and if it looks like fun, i usually buy it. Usually works out pretty well, but WFC bb and prime fooled me pretty good...didn't care for the fiddly transformations.

8. GreenCream

GreenCream Well-Known Member

While most of the criteria seem to be character, paint apps, and transformation, I just buy the toys I want because... well, they look cool. I really don't give a crap about character. If I don't like their character, I'll make up a new one. Paint apps? Well, I enjoyed the Minicons, and we all know how much paint they had. Same goes for transformation; if it turns into something vaguely like a vehicle/machine, it's for me.

... looking back, I think I may have just explained why my wallet is so empty...

9. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Why do I buy the figures I buy?

Because I want em. I don't need to justify it.

10. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I buy figures based on how their robot mode looks. Since that is how I display them, I have to like the way they look.

11. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

Instagram:
    I just buy g1' s or mp's anymore. I used to buy stuff in the stores but i got to crazy and got everything i thought was cool

12. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

I'll be honest. Three fourths of the Transformers and other figures I buy are on the recommendation of others. (Namely Peaugh, Vangelus, Various board members, etc.) That's why I purchased a voyager Bludgeon. Because I heard it was an awesome toy. However, I wasn't at all impressed with it so I gave it away.

The other quarter of figures I buy that aren't influenced by others are ones I just think look AWESOME. Like Cybertron Mode Animated Optimus Prime. I had never seen a review of it, but I just KNEW I had to have it, and now that I do, I know I was right in assuming it was an awesome toy. Because it is.

Though, sometimes it's a little hit and miss. : /

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I rarely impulse buy anything any more, so most of my toy-buying decisions have been made long before I get to the aisle and have a look around. Considerations:

- Mold - I'm a toy collector first and foremost, so the quality of the toy is the over-riding consideration. I like to get one version of each mold, but the quality of the mold is a major factor in whether I'll get any repaints.
    - Character - I generally like to have a representation of each major character from whatever the associated media is, as well as updated versions of G1 characters. I used to buy a lot of the same-character repaints, but have dropped those entirely. I'll also skip the first release of a new mold if it's a character I already have another toy for (eg - HftD Deluxe Ironhide) unless the newer version is significantly better (eg - the HA line).
    - Filling gaps in my G1 collection (vintage items and new reissues).
    - Recommendations by other board members - I give very little consideration to this, rarely read any reviews of new figures and never watch video reviews. Partially due to being incredibly disappointed with a few figures that the collective fandom loved (RotF Leader Prime, MP Megatron), partially due to the plethora of skewed/biased reviews by people who have something against a particular line (Movieverse, in particular, but I'd imagine the same thing is happening with PCC).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  14. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

The character the figure is based on. Well, and the figure itself.

For example: I didn't buy the Target 2-pack Springer because I didn't think it was "Springer" enough. But at the same time I refuse to buy the Warbot Defender figure because I don't think it's any bit of an update to the '86 Springer- just the same design with more articulation.

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Originally, I was buying every Alternator and Classic figure, because I wanted to show my appreciation for Hasbro making them, so I would even buy the redecos and such to support the new G1-themed lines. I've sort of cut back on that, partly due to not having money all the time.

For instance, I decided Universe Galvatron and Blaster and Tread Bolt simply weren't worth buying (although, to answer your 'does the tech spec appeal?' question, I was -almost- sold on Tread Bolt's tech spec, but not quite). Sometimes, a figure I wasn't going to buy, like Universe Storm Cloud or Movie Crankcase, I'll end up buying if they're used in some kind of fiction (and, ultimately, I'm glad I changed my mind about not buying them). And Universe Blades... he hasn't been used in any fiction, but I bought him to go with Botcon Streetwise. (he's an awesome mold, but I wasn't planning to buy him as I already had Springer)

Nowadays, I still buy the majority of G1-themed new figures, I'm predictably excited for the Generations line, etc. When it comes to the NON-G1-themed figures, I buy them based on how cool they look, simple as that. Stuff like ROTF Mindwipe, Brimstone, the upcoming Terradive, I really dig all of those (I'm more of a Decepticon guy).

16. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most I buy because they have a cartoon/film version. That's how I collect. However there are quite a few that I get just because they look cool. I want the War For Cybertron figs from Generations because i played the game and fell in love with those designs. Terradive I want just because he looks awesome. So televised/theatrical media and whatever looks cool to me.

Cool may need to be expanded upon. Cool is whatever looks characterful. That may be why I collect toys that have media counterparts. I enjoy the characters, but there are certain toys that just reek of character without anything being done to portray it. Terradive, ROTF Scouts, Highbrow etc. Sometimes a toy just has to look nice. A number of things all leading to me uttering that four letter word. "cool."

17. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I always know of it ahead of time, the only surprise is finding that particular figure on the shelf. Here's what makes me buy it:

- Research, I like to know a general consensus of the toy first.
    - It looks awesome.
    - The best one there.
    - TOTALLY IMPULSE.

Little else. I had a hard time writing this, I never thought of why i buy the figures I buy.

18. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I usually look at a few pics online beforehand. If it looks cool in at least bot mode (alt mode matters, but not as much), I'm usually all for it. Although good or bad word of mouth and reviews may sway my decision.

19. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    character mainly, especially with classics i don't have the character, or the version fits better with the collection eg. legends bb and cj over their deluxes, i get it. pretty much completionest on that line though, the repaints from other lines really have to make sense for me to pick up

20. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Given I'm a Beast Era fan, anything with a Maximal, Predacon, or Vehicon logo on it is a must for me. Or any other modern beast mode TF, which I still lable as Maximal or Predacon.

Others:
    Chevy or GM brands TF, I'd probably would get.
    Modern jet/plane TF.
    Cool looking scouts.
    Any Animated figures, I didnt get.