why do we continuously buy different versions of the same characters?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ckhtiger, Jan 26, 2008.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    so I was transforming classics grimlock today, and was thinking about how much he looks like a raptor instead of a trex. he's my third version of grimmy, and I'll probably end up getting the animated version. now g1 notwithstanding, there's then the energon/classics/animated that follow the typical grey dino form. it's not that I really need that many, and probably would take back at least one of them if I could, which got me thinking about how many different versions there are of a lot of these guys.

why do we keep buying them? I personally want to get the awesomest version of each character, and each successive one is usually better than the one that came before it. but then your stuck with a bunch that are not so good. I mean how many of you are now still playing with and are in awe of energon starscream? probably not many, but when he came out he was just the coolest. so why do YOU do it?

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'Cause Energon Starscream is indeed still awesome. Love him to this day--along with most of the Energon Scouts (I'm looking at you, Arcee, for ruining the streak...).

Anyways, I'm not buying multiple Grimlocks. I'm buying different toys that are each worthwhile in their own way.

--Also, and this is just a thing with me, most paleontologists agree that T. Rex was probably more similar to Classics Grimlock than the G1 version. Far as stature and build go, of course--not talking about energo-swords or mortar launchers.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    :(  Way to spoil history, d00d.

I agree with Squirrelcar, they're all toys that have different strengths that warrant the purchase. By the logic introduced, I should have one and only one Optimus Prime figure, but 20th OP, Cyb OP, and Movie OP all have different strengths and weaknesses that allow them to stay.

I'll agree with Squirrelcar again by saying that Energon Starscream is probably one of the best incarnations of Starscream that I have. Since I don't do recolors (to an extent), he's my stand-in Classics Starscream (I opted to get the Magnus/Skywarp pack). And the Energon scouts rock, too.

Hasbro does things like this as a marketing ploy. Character recognition = easy money for Hasbro. If you don't want to think of them as the same character, then don't.

While we're on the topic of Grimlock, what makes Energon Grimlock/Swoop so expensive? I hear they suck. /hijack

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I know, it came as a shock to me. I have, however, submitted a letter to my state's BOE requesting that Energoswordology be taught as an alternate theory in science classes.
    I like him. He's a little...er, Playskoolish (like the Go-Bots!), but in a good, solid, straightforward way.

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    :lol  I should try that, too. We could blame the mortar launchers for the extinction of the dinosaurs, too. We know how the Dinobots can destroy things :D 
    They're one of the last things I need from Energon. I wanted them but I never saw them around here. We only started to be on the distribution map since the movie came out.

Alright, I'm done hijacking the thread. Like I said earlier... Hasbro does this because they know for a fact we WILL buy Grimlock, Starscream, Megatron, Optimus Prime, etc. Look at the shelfwarmers sometime. They're the ones that aren't as easily recognizable (in most cases. Bonecrusher, Swindle, and Dreadwing are debatable).

6. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Because we're morons with too much money.

7. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I keep buying different versions of the same character because I love said character that much.

The older versions may not have the awe of the newer ones, but the love is still there.

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    As my collection is small so far, I don't have as many different versions of characters, but, I have noticed that there are a couple of characters that I either have multiple versions of, or want multiple versions of. Optimus is probably the one I have the most of (5 that I can think of). If I was still planning on being a completionist with Animated (recentley decided for actually the same reason of this topic, too many versions of one character) I would end up with at least 4 more Optimus Primes. Starscream seems to be another one that I'll have multiple versions of (only have 2 at the moment though). I mainly do it because certain characters I just like almost no matter what. I can see myself buying all the different toys that Animated Bulkhead gets (2 that we know of so far), as I really like the character (personality and design), though I'll have to get a good look at the Leader before I decide to get it or not.

9. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Because we're chumps!

I'm lucky in a way, I don't have it as bad as most of you. :p  I really didn't seriously get back into transformers until the MP and Alt/BT lines hit. While this is the first time I've ever completed any line of any toy. I won't buy it just because its a "Transformer", or It's a new Prime. If a Transformer isn't at least semi-realistic, or highly possible it usually doesn't interest me. That being said I do have 3 Primes (G1, Alt, MP), 2 Soundwaves (G1, Music Label), 3 Jazz'seses (G1, Alt, Movie), 2 Starscreams (MP, Classics), 3 Rasvages (G1, Alt, and umm Alt), and 2 Skywarps (MP, Classics). In a collection that numbers under 70.

A good portion is the toy makers know that names sell, whether its a character or brand name. If its something we like we end up buying it.

Personally what REALLY bothers me is the increasing number of character repaints! The Alts/BT had that bad. 4 Mazdas (Jazz Red, White, Autorooper, and Shockblast), 4 Smokescreens (01, 02, 07, 08), 4 corvettes between 3 characters, and 2 Scions. Theres more but the reason I only list these is because the models I listed here never shared a mold before. Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Silverstreak, Smokescreen, Camshaft, Alert, Prime, and Nemesis Prime, and Prowl were all acceptable because they were all dupes in the g1 series. But you have to draw the line somewhere. The only additional repaint to the g1 dupes that should've been in the line is Tracks, because the yellow was a bad idea to begin with. So the repaint made the fans happy.

Let me stop ranting...

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    thats pretty much the reason for me. We never know what the future holds, so when we see a really great version come out, we figure we gotta get it, even though there's a high chance it'll be repainted or something in the future.

For guys like Grimlock and Shockwave, I enjoy buying all the different versions as I love the characters. However, I really hate the fact that I own so many Starscreams, because they're not interesting to my collection and I have nothing to do with them fictionally.

Sure, you could say "yeah, but dont you like the toy itself?" and that's true, but that's where repaints come in. With Armada, for instance, I could've bought Skywarp and called it a day. But I didnt know for sure he'd come out, so I bought Starscream when he was new.

Now a days, I have Classics Starscream and I feel like I really dont need the other ones I have (I still need the MP though, but he's the one I dont have)

limited release/hard to find in stores (the same reason Swerve is the most expensive Alt, even though he's not that great)

11. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really think it's just us needing to buy something half the time.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I buy toys that I like, regardless of whether it's the 1st iteration of a new character or the 466th different version of Starscream. If it's a figure with good engineering, a neat aesthetic or other factors that appeal to me, I don't really care too much about what character it is. I am a little tired of the barrage of G1 homages in the recent lines, though, and would like to see a bit more branching out to unique characters.

As far as why Hasbro does it, I'd guess it has to do with their target market. I'd wager children are more likely to want to purchase the "high-profile" characters like Starscream, Megatron, Optimus Prime and Bumblebee rather than Astrotrain, Mirage or Cliffjumper (just using the shelfwarmers from Classics as an example). Since kids are going to be looking for those high profile characters, they're certain to get included in each line.

You heard correctly; they suck harder than a vacuum cleaner powered by a miniaturized black hole. However, they were also near the end of the Energon line. Retailers usually reduce orders of figures near the end of one toyline to avoid having a bunch of them laying around when it's time for the next line to debut. In addition, Grimlock/Swoop were at the Mega/Voyager size class, which retailers weren't ordering as heavily to begin with because of all the Ironhides and Jetfires still sitting around. They may have also been shortpacked or only in one case assortment, but I can't remember for certain.

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I got started collecting primes. he was such an icon to me as a kid, and now I've easily got more than 40 different ones. because he IS transformers, this is the only character I can easily explain away.

and that's the biggest problem I seem to have with the series since energon. it was SO full of homages, which were also cool designs. I mean hell, half the autobot team was a throwback to the g1 line. towline, blockade, inferno, downshift, bulkhead and of course prime. the decepticons didn't really have the blatant homages that could be straight stand-ins and they had some awesome designs.

I started thinking the same thing. I mean, starscream's got a cool design and all, but really, armada, energon, cybertron, classics, and mp since 2003? that's like one a year, and I wouldn't exactly call myself the biggest fan. it just doesn't seem like we need to keep revisiting the g1 characters over and over again. it's too bad that the marketing just works SO well.

quiet you, you're harshing my mellow ;) 

14. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I buy multiple versions of the same character if I really like said character, such as: Smokescreen, Grimlock, etc. But, mostly, it's because I have no self control whatsoever. I'm doomed to buy the same character over and over again. And don't even get me started on repaints. Oy! My wallet hates me.

15. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I only buy multiple versions of the same character if I like the mold. (The exception being Optimus Prime, I buy every version of him just because I love the Character so much.)
    I've passed on some of the "big" names because the look of the figure just didn't do anything for me. (Armada Megatron and Cybertron Starscream come to mind.)
    However, if I DO like the new design of a figure I don't care how many different versions I may already have. And I don't really feel like I've been cheated in any way because each mold has it's own reasons for appealing to me.
    IMHO it's more of a disappointment when Hasbro decides to repaint an existing mold instead of design a new one. Although it may just be good business for them to do that, it just doesn't appeal to me very often. A good example is the new movie Cliffjumper, I already own the Bumblebee in the same mold, which I love, but I just can't justify buying another one just 'cause it's a different color with another name slapped on the package. I do think it looks even better in red, but that's not a good enough reason for me to get another one.

16. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dont buy multiples of characters UNLESS the other version of the one I have is as cool as the first one in a different way. I had Classics Hot Rod and Alt. Roddy but sold Alt Roddy because I always dreamed of an updated and articulated G1 version. I sold my MP Screamer for the money and because I already had the classics version, whose mold I prefer.

Right now the only character I have multiples of is Prime, the MP version and the Movie Leader version... for obvious reasons. :thumbs2: 

17. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Transformers are special among action figures because between alt mode, robot mode and the transformation itself, every one is unique.

I ONLY buy remakes of old characters now, because I like to see how the designer has decided to reinterpret them

18. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Seconded. For twenty-four years I've collected examples of great toy engineering, not characters. It's only in the last year or so that I've very occasionally been slightly influenced by character, and that largely to the extent that it decides which one version of a given mold I'll pick up. (Exception: I bought Classics Starscream and then picked up the Ultra Magnus vs Skywarp pack.)

Although yeah, for whatever reason I largely tend to avoid characters I've seen on TV. No idea why. Fortunately I didn't watch Armada or Energon.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    these days, i only buy reissues, originals (if cheeeeeeaaaaap) a KO if bored and a rare new release.
    like i bought blackout because he looked good, and i really never gave second thought to getting any of the others.

i used to buy willy nilly when i first started my "honest to god" collecting. now i am just trying to have a rounded collection.
    gonna buy the Reissue Omega Supreme only because i really like him and i just want a MIB version.

while i have changed strategy on collecting, i admit that have an affinity for certain characters and given more money, i would buy all the versions of certain ones characters.

but as for just buying all versions of characters, no. Like the red head/hands slag, or the anime Galvatron (he still looks fugly as hell to me) that is beyond me.
    once i get a g1 slag or a decent Encore of him, x goes by his name on my list and well....next.

BTW, looked at the images of Energon Swoop and Grimlock.
    aside from the crappy red on his legs, that version of him woulda made a nice classics version, right?

but that combined form.....geez, i coughed up crap i had for lunch in 3rd grade seeing that again.

20. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I base my purchases on a per series basis, not overall character basis. For example, War Within Prime, G1 Prime, Masterpiece Prime, Animated Prime, Classics Prime, etc. are entirely different figures, sizes & styles and transform engineering from entirely different canons, therefore I don't think I've bought multiples of the same thing. Same goes for Bumblebee, Starscream, Megatron, Grimlock, etc etc etc. I have multiple *versions* of all these characters, but would never for a second think they're just the same thing with slight differences.

What I don't understand is when people buy multiple versions of the same character from the SAME series. IE: Movie Leader Prime & Megatron and Movie Voyager Prime & Megatron, Movie Leader Brawl and Movie Deluxe Brawl, etc. Same thing soon with Animated - where a few of the same characters are going to be released in different sizes. I myself like to get the best representation of a character per series, not every version released. Deluxe 2-Pack Cybertron Mode Megatron and Voyager Cybertron Mode Megatron is a good example of this. I'll buy one or the other, but have no need for both. But maybe that's just because I'm very specific on how I display my figures and my collector approach of quality over quantity.