why do transfans hate the drift toy so much?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by micah1199, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I suppose he's Wolverine if you can't read and just like looking at dudes with knives cut stuff.

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

This has been already stated countlessly but I'm really have the urge. People don't hate the toy, they hate the character. And the reason why they hate the character has more to do with the circumstances surrounding his introduction rather than actual characterization. Ultimately, Drift ended up becoming an all too readily available scapegoat for everything distasteful fans found about the reboot, and the ridiculous amount of hype IDW placed on him didn't exactly warm fans to him.

The toy however is awesome.

You were clearly not around back in 2008. The Wolverine comparison comes from IDW who fairly obviously were hoping to make Drift into the Transformers version of Wolverine. This was actually very irksome for a lot of fans since Transformers already has their version of Wolverine (Grimlock).

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    They Hate the Charecter, they don't hate the toy.

Most fans hate the First Movie Megatron toys but they love his charecter. It just depends, so may get unlucky like ROTF Mudflap who's "rascist" and warms up the shelves at your local Wal-mart.

I want Drift so badly, even though i don't read the comics.

4. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Dude it's not cool to insult members saying that they can't read. After reading the comics, a few members think the Drift character is like Wolverine dou to the character is developed. A brooding character character with a questionable and mysterious past. And he's made into a badass they they feel that they are forced into them by IDW.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  5. hotrod422

hotrod422 Well-Known Member

I don't hate Drift at all. I can't say it's my favorite, but I really do like it.

6. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Again, the comparison is only obvious if your prerequisites for a Wolverine knock-off only include sharp objects. Drift is actually heavily reminiscent of Zatoichi, intentional or not.

Bludgeon actually has more in common with Wolverine than Drift. In either case it's a ridiculous comparison.

They think that, but they're wrong. And how can I insult them if they cannot read?

Also, the brooding mysterious figure with a questionable past didn't begin with Wolverine.

7. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

I like both the toy and the character. It's just that I seem to have less posting stamina than the haters do.

8. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Why is it that people cannot read because they don't save the same views as you on the character? And they make the comparison because he's the most popular character of it's type. That seams makes a lot of sense. Like I said before, I don't care about the Drift character and I'm not defending or bashing the character. But insulting other members because they don't like Drift is juvenile.

9. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

It's not a matter of views, that implies that there is some room for debate, which there is not. Calling Drift a Wolverine knock-off is factually wrong. Not just because the comparison falls flat immediately, but because Wolverine himself is highly derivative of older characters.

10. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ..uh I don't. What a great new mold to kick-off the new Generations line.

In fact I'm really looking forward to the Blurr repaint of it. ANY HATE I've heard of the toy thus far is mostly towards the character that's all. :wink: 

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    The toy is fantastic. One of the best deluxes ever. But yeah, I've never seen the hate for the toy, only the character. Which is hilarious since if you actually read the AHM comics he doesn't actually...DO anything. People just got butthurt because a comic book company basically told them they should like something. Which I find absolutely hysterical.

12. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    The butthurt is hysterical to many TF nerd rage. PCC, TF:Animated, movieverse Twins and Energon Prime are good examples.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  13. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    +1

14. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I love the toy and I'm a Drift character hater. Most of my hate comes from the forced IDW marketing. The inclusion in the "I am Oprimus Prime" Robot Heroes book was particularly grating, "I am Optimus Prime, leader of the incredibly friendly Autobots, here are my friends Ratchet - the friendly medic, Bumblebee - the lovable scamp with great mileage per gallon and Drift - he is a Decepticon warrior samurai guy with a deeply dark mysterious hidden past...and he can cut guns in half with his mind."

15. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Drift hate comes from the rumor that Drift likes rolling with the Homies.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    It's totally true. Fan Nerdrage is one of the most entertaining things about internet fan sites. I blame it on a false sense of entitlement.

17. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i hate the fact they have not made the decepticon aligned repaint of him yet...

I actually have this guy...and i usually just collect decepticons/ predacons

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

What an odd thread.

It's like asking "why does everyone hate Peter Cullen?"

Sort of.

FWIW, I love the toy and have no feelings one way or the other about the character.

19. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I don't see much hate for the toy at all, mostly for the character (and honestly, that hate isn't even really all that justified IMO).

The toy is one of the single greatest deluxe figures ever. I absolutely love it.

20. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I like both the drift toy & IDW character.

honestly whats not to like. a suped up sports car that transforms into a ninja robot with huge swords.