why do transfans hate the drift toy so much?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by micah1199, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The Drift toy is absolutely aces and I have yet to read anyone say otherwise.

I challenge that notion.
    Many G1 fans argue that its inconsistencies are part of its charm.

In regards to the character Drift specifically, I had little patience for him when he debuted.
    IDW had just turned the continuity on its ear with All Hail Megatron.
    They had dozens of unresolved story elements from previous stories.
    They had several unresolved story elements from within All Hail Megatron itself.

I remember reading it and trying to get a sense of what was going on, what the new rules were, and how some characters who were dead before are now alive.
    Prowl and Ratchet had a dire conversation in which Ratchet revealed that he probably would be unable to save Optimus Prime's life.
    Prowl was trying to figure out how to bring this news before the Autobots.
    Then BLAMO-POWIE there is Optimus Prime -as good as he ever was; kicking ass and taking names.

So, as a reader I'm trying to figure out how any of this happened, but instead I was presented with Drift.
    All the poor little Autobots are hiding safe in their base because there's thousands of Insecticons out there.
    Hordes of dangerous Insecticons. Stay inside little Autobots.
    But not Drift. He's out on the perimeter -unconcerned because he's just THAT badass.

Then I found out that the Spotlights were being cancelled, but not before there was a Spotlight: Drift.
    So, again, instead of getting story elements finished I was getting Drift because he's just THAT badass.
    It didn't help that the inside cover read:
    He carries two really cool swords, and one uber-cool sword of uber-coolness that he only wields when it's uber-cool.

2. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

I wonder whether a lot of the hatred for the character would have happened if not for the events surrounding his creator being brought onto the comic:

- Simon Furman was given his walking papers and only four issues to wrap up an epic, multi-year (or overlong and drawn-out, according to reported sales figures) plot.
    - A medium-hard reboot happened with All Hail Megatron #1. The Autobots had left earth for a different reason, characters seemed to have altered personalities, and the direction had changed (which, admittedly, was a good thing as far as some readers were concerned).
    - With the rich assortment of G1-era characters available, Shane McCarthy decided that one more was needed: a know-it-all sword expert who used to be a Decepticon but was now an Autobot and could tear Decepticons to shreds with both swords tied behind his back because he had an even cooler third sword!

* Ahem. * Sorry, now I'm getting it confused with the toy. (I got a bit carried away, there.)

My personal opinion of the toy? I was debating whether to skip it, because not only is it a character I don't care much for, but it looks like it's made from cheap white plastic with some unattractive red lettering on the side.

I decided to pick it up, and I'm glad I did, because of the swords (which won't be included with Blurr). It has great articulation, except for the huge shoulders getting in the way a bit.

ETA: If you read Smasher's post, you didn't really need to read most of this one. Sorry for the redundancy. :) 

3. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only know the character from like 2 panels in All Hail Megatron vol1. That wasn't enough for me to like or dislike the character as he didn't really do anything at all.

The toy, I'm really not super fond of. Massive shoulder kibble. The same kind of weird waist kibble the MP seekers have, which I really don't like. It's slightly redeemed by doubling as sheathes for the swords, but not entirely. Not a big fan of the chest design. And the big sword, while pretty nifty, looks just too damn big unless he's holding it.

I'm not hating on the toy, but without any affection for the character it's just not winning me over.

4. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

A: I don't know the character at all.
    B: I just don't find the toy attractive. It's not my style and it's not a character I'm familiar with.
    C: His name comes from the famous drifting cars from Japan, but he look's nothing like them.
    So in conclusion, I'm not NOT buying him, I'm just leaving him on the pegs for those that love him.

5. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「私は眠い」

News Credits:
    You haven't gone to the cool stuff thread, have you micah1199?

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    ...it wasn't really a serious question.

7. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

this whole "hate drift" concept is new to me

8. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hate Drift, rumor has it he is a Homie. Been hanging out with Sunstreaker. :D 

9. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I'll say that I am not a fan of the toy or character. A little too big in the legs for me, and I don't read comics, so there is no real draw there for me. Just not a figure that I was looking forward to. Did I still buy him, yes. Just not all that interesting for me.

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    I've heard nothing but praise for the figure. The character, though, not so much.

11. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I know nothing and i mean NOTHING of the character but the toy is awesome.

12. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    You telling me that there is actually people who doesnt like this wonderful toy? MADNESS!! ^^
    I dont remember reading bad reviews so far. Well, we dont have to like the same toy, everyone can have different opinions about the mold.
    Personally i love it and cant wait to have one. Damn, such a great toy.

13. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Your point just proves that nostalgia is blinding. Had Transformers premiered today it would be open to the same kind of backlash as Drift.

GEEWUN fans just excuse those inconsistencies as charm because of the nostalgia. It's hypocritical at best to dismiss any new additions to the lore for having some of the same faults you can find in the classic series, which is used to measure the quality of everything TF related.

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you must be hanging out on one of Cybertron's moons because you are taking the hate for the wannabe Wolverine of the TF-verse character and attaching it to the toy.

even those that hate Drift more than they hate Nazis will admit when the Blurr repaint shows, they'll grab one or two.

the toy is bettah than buttah.

the only "meh" aspect is the bendy sword.
    but i don't hate the sword.

15. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Wannabe Wolverine? Really? Because he has sharp things?

16. DecepticonZone

DecepticonZone Well-Known Member

I'm guessing some people just ride the hate bandwagon, because they are sorta going with the fandom.

I can recall mentioning Hot Rod back in the day, and getting the "he got Optimus Prime killed." Now, I very rarely hear that at all.

Only thing I can complain about on the toy are the sheaths can't be positioned backwards, and maybe a waist swivel. Otherwise, he's seriously a top notch figure. I can't wait to see what crazy paint apps he gets when the Takara version comes out.

17. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    That's because Optimus Prime dies a lot and never stays dead. :lol 
    Hear hear. I'm also very hopeful to see the Blurr version (probably with the Drift head) repainted as Drift's former Decepticon identity Deadlock. This mold in gloss black would be some serious win.

18. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Do a board search on drift and you will see why. It deals with the character, not the toy. I myself like the toy, and don't care either ways about the character since I don't read the IDW comics.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  19. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    For me personally, the character has not done anything to warrant any hatred. Hell he hasn't done anything at all. So I don't have any feelings what so ever in regards to his characterization.

The toy however is pure bliss. Pure, unadulterated bliss. :) 

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    You copied all of my text but didn’t seem to read all of it.
    My point was even echoed by Whovian Zorker ‘s post directly underneath my own words.

I don’t care if Drift fits in as ‘GeeWunn’ or not.
    I cared that I had an abbreviated narrative, followed by a confusing narrative, and instead of clarification, I got Drift.

I actually liked Spotlight: Drift, but again, there were unresolved threads that could have used the publishing space.

EDIT -also your Animated Galvatron avatar rocks.