Why do they have human faces now?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by hup2thepenguin, Jun 30, 2014.

1. hup2thepenguin

hup2thepenguin Beagle.in.red

With each movie, the new Transformers have been looking increasingly human. Like in the first movie, look at Decepticons like Blackout or Bonecrusher. Now look at Lockdown. He's got an almost human face and body shape, hardly any extra kibble on him. Even Autobots in the first movie looked alien compared to now. It makes sense that some Autobots like Hound and Drift would adapt more human faces to associate better with humans, but why would bad guys take that appearance? Also, Sentinel Prime looked human before he met humans. Wut?

2. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    You can thank the fans and all the people who couldn't distinguish one TF from another worth a flying damn, or complained it was "too alien". Personally though, I LOVE the new face designs.

3. computron179

computron179 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They were pretty awesome Lockdown especially. They did this for two reasons to be able to distinguish them to the average viewer and to show emotion in them.it worked

also none of the human made ones looked human save galvatron. Stinger two headed shockwave ect did not

4. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Because most people complained for years that they look ''too alien and ugly and insect-like''.

5. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Noticed it on lockdown's deluxe toy and the rise of the dark spark game where he's portrayed slightly different. In the movie though it worked.

6. hup2thepenguin

I thought Bumblebee could portray emotions quite well with his robot face. And he couldn't even talk.

7. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm assuming it's because Galvatron made them look like normal Decepticons do.

8. hup2thepenguin

I wondered what the heck KSI was going to do with two-head Shockwaves. But then again, what is Galvatron going to do with two-headed Shockwaves?

9. buickanddeere

buickanddeere Well-Known Member

In consideration to the humans. To appear less threatening and more relatible.

10. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

Be awesome. Duh.

11. Megatronus209

Megatronus209 owner of the Hippy puppy!

News Credits:
    Galvatron has a nice blend of that Decepticon Evil look and Human likeness

12. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    Because most people like what's familiar, and would rather be in their comfort zone than exploring or embracing something totally new and alien.

Hence they threw up a big fuss at some of the designs from the first trilogy, and perhaps the producers took that into account with the new designs.

I could understand the KSI human-made Transformers looking human-like, but I cannot fathom why an advanced, mechanical alien race, with the ability to configure themselves into any form they wish, would 'co-incidentally' evolve the same basic form as Earth's humans.

13. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Loved his reaction to
    Galvatron transforming
    under the bridge lol

14. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The humanised faces worked well for me. It allowed for more emotional acting from the main robots.

The more human bodies were likely to make the robots more stylised.

15. Minh'T

Minh'T Descendant of Primus

Facebook:
    Yup, i agree with this. Even Drift have a face look like the traditional samurai mask. They have became more and more "human"

16. Ring3r

Ring3r 5.0

I absolutely hated it, especially when that on-set photo of Hound's face showed up.

I still don't like Drift, not because he looks human, but because he looks exactly like a very distinct piece of human art/history. I do like that they made his face a bunch of moving segments though.

ALL it would require is a quick in-movie "we chose to look like this because we liked it" type thing....

But honestly, and I'm totally contradicting my earlier self here...they look pretty damn good in motion on screen and I wasn't distracted, except by Drift...but mostly because he was a stereotypical ninja-dude.

17. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    This was one of the best changes. Lockdown was menacing because he could convey emotion via his face. It pisses me off really, because Starscream and Megatron really could have benefitted from faces. All of Starscreams lines with his trademark smirk would have added much character. Same for Megatron. His rage was more easily seen via the Galvatron face. He didn't do much, but at least you can assume what he's thinking.

Hound, Crosshairs and Drift all benefitted as well. Much of the characterization works BECAUSE of the faces. Some would take a 'realistic' approach to this and say, "why would robots evolve humanoid faces?" The same reason they have a humanoid form. It makes communication easier. They aren't JUST supposed to be war machines. The war is over ideals and principals, morality. Having a humanoid face makes conveying messages and ideas easier. Rallying troops is easier when your face conveys the message and your eyes burn with intensity. Sounds silly, but look at great motivational speakers. Look at their faces when they talk.

I don't get this far into it tho, because they TFs have always had humanized faces, the movies were the first MAJOR departure, and frankly, those Con faces robbed them of lots of character. Those bug faces just fail to give them any life. I want more character for Bots and Cons. So you can pick a side. So the villains can smirk. So they can do things spitefully. Transformers have always been metallic humans, not robots. Shockwave might be a robot. Omega Supreme is somewhat. Computron definitely was. But most other Transformers have always been human in action. Megatron's lust for power, Starscream's arrogance, Prime's ultimate goodness, Bumblebee's bravery... All HUMAN traits, not robots. Robots would just do what the most efficient and logical thing is. We like them, not just because they are big robots that turn into cool things, but also because they are human enough that we cheer for them. Having a vaguely human face helps convey this.

18. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

19. Magnahide

Magnahide Maximal Commander

Why do they have human faces now?

Because the majority of fans complained. Many of the faces looked too similar in the first three films. And some of the Autobot faces didn't look that friendly.

20. TUROK1134

TUROK1134 Well-Known Member

I hope they don't completely do away with the alien-looking faces. Galvatron should stay ugly. Perhaps make him look even more creepy.