Why do the films get so much negative criticism?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BluRayHiDef, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

Jeez. What is so dumb about them? If these films are dumb, then the 1980s cartoon is just plain ol' stupid. What do you want? It's a summer blockbuster movie based on a toyline. A toyline! Considering that, the films aren't bad...at all.

2. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I'll take a stab at trying to explain why you are confused by a lot of the fans opinions. What you have to realize is that this fandom is 23 years older than the movie-verse. Decades of character development spread over multiple franchises which anyone just starting with the movie-verse has no familiarity with or appreciation for. I realize the films brought a lot of new blood into the fandom and that's great for a lot of reasons, but you shouldn't be surprised if you don't "get" the opinions us old guys because you haven't experienced what we have. You are coming at this franchise from a completely different angle.

I also think age has a lot to do with it as well. My opinion of the Bay movies would be very different if I was 12 with not much exposure to different media instead of 36 with a vast catalog of media consumption under my belt. It's just like how if I go back and watch G1 episodes now I see them for what they are(bad animation, cheesy plots etc etc), but back in the day that shit was amazing to me. I require more from a movie than flashy special effects these days. I require a compelling story with at least minimally fleshed-out characters. The Bay movies don't deliver that kind of experience and so I don't think much of them.

3. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but I have heard these arguments before, and they are just plain weak.

The cartoon, even if you judge it to be stupid, is no excuse for how "dumb" these films are judged.

And the fact that its all based on a toyline is irrelevent and should not ne a guiding point for judging the films.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I want something as well-written as the TF comics, which, unlike the cartoon (which, for the record, I have always regarded as stupid), treated TF fiction as something more than just a means of selling toys.

5. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I'm surprised that you have 270 posts.

Also, what.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I've always found the it's based on a toyline or it's big budget film released in the summer time to be a rather poor blanket excuse for the problems some people had with the films.

The Spiderman comic books have had some truly cringe worthy moments and some just down right horrible ideas. The 60's cartoon isn't likely to make the list of greatest cartoons ever with the crazy silly stuff it would do. Yet Hollywood didn't say well bad things in the comics and cartoons so it would be okay to just phone in parts of our big budget film because it's a summer release and people have lower expectations that time of year.

The live action Batman series gave us the Batusi. But Christopher Nolan didn't say okay I'm not really going to dig deeper than the source material with my Batman movies because we had the Batusi in the past.

Pirates of the Caribbean was based off of a ride, not a toy line, not a cartoon, not a book, not even a comic book but a ride.

To say well it couldn't be but so good because of source material or it had toys connected to it just doesn't fly. Hollywood has taken some really crazy ideas and turned them into really good movies. If Hollywood didn't make films from weird fanciful ideas we never would have gotten Star Wars, a farm boy with a magic sword saves the universe because some old guy showed him how to tap into a mystical force that lets him move things with his mind, what an utterly silly concept.

7. IceMagnus

IceMagnus SSJIcey'95

News Credits:
    I know but I hate the critizizim if they don't like it than don't watch it.

8. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I had to watch it to find out I didn't like it. I think you meant "If you don't like it, shut up about it so I don't have to hear why you didn't like it." Sadly, the internet doesn't work that way.

9. IceMagnus

IceMagnus SSJIcey'95

News Credits:
    I meant the first thing you said.

10. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

Contrary to the consensus held by a considerable majority, the Transformers films are More than Meets the Eye; they're much more than sensual shots in the form of attractive women and computer generated effects. Behind their facade, there exist profound themes, touching dialogue, and memorable characters who serve as good role models. So, the attractive women and the computer generated imagery are icing on an already-delicious cake.

Conveyed by the majestic voice of the benevolent Optimus Prime, Transformers (2007) presents some very insightful messages. As much as anyone would love the awesome and beautiful battles in this film, they'd appreaciate the words of wisdom which motivate the Autobots to fight them. Displaying true selflessness that everyone should try to emulate, Optimus says things like, If all else fails, I will unite it (the ALLSpark) with the spark in my chest despite the fact that Ratchet says to him, That's suicide. The cube is raw power. It could destroy you both. Declaring the central belief behind his selflessness, Optimus says, A necessary sacrifice. We can not allow the Humans to suffer for our mistakes. Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. Such words are as profound as can possibly be, proving that the franchise isn't just all looks. Even in the final battle, when Sam (successfully) atttemps to push the cube into the chest of Megatron, Optimus begs him, No Sam! Push the cube into my chest! Accentuating this theme of selflessness, the film includes the Witwicky motto, No sacrifce, No victory!; the motto is realized in Sam's bravery when facing Megatron and refusing to give him the cube, willing to sacrifice himself in the process.

Considering the fact that even Michael Bay admits that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wasn't as good as he wanted it to be, it's obvious that it is the low point of the franchise. Hence, no attempt will be made to defend this film, though it does contain a few good aspects such as re-enforcing the themes of selflessness and the right to freedom of all sentient life (Megatron: Is the fate of our race not worth a single Human life? Optimus Prime: You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!).

Dark of the Moon is perhaps the most profound of all three films due to its inclusion of ethical dilemmas which blur the line between Good and Evil. Is Sentinel Prime truly evil for doing what was necessary to save his species and his planet? For sacrificing the needs of the few for the needs of the many? For subjugating an inferior species that deems his own to be mere machines? Also, in addition to this aspect of Dark of the Moon, there exists an engaging plot with genuinely unexpected twists and a main character with relatable problems (lack of appreciation and a desire to matter).

Basically, these films are much deeper than most people give credit. Admittedly, Revenge of the Fallen is a definite low point, but the first Transformers and Dark of the Moon are emotionally gripping and fun to watch.

11. SwerveGears

SwerveGears Autonomous Robot

News Credits:
    Your answer is this: people think its bad to like a movie based on toys they pkayed with as kids, ( which they still play with in their secret rooms,) and want to impress their friends by liking movies such as The King's Speech or Old Yeller and bashing "popcorn movies."

12. SwerveGears

SwerveGears Autonomous Robot

News Credits:
    Ad I actually like Revenge Of The Fallen and do not understand why people hate it so much.

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I agree with BluRayHiDef on this one. The movies are deeper and more thought provoking than people give them credit for. In ROTF, we get religious metaphors such as The Fallen as a Lucifer like character and the sacrifice/resurrection of the Jesus like character(s) with Optimus and Sam. It also is about having faith and also believing in yourself. DOTM's plot is basically an allegory for the war on terror with the lines between good and evil being blurred. The Decepticons also attack Chicago like the 9-11 attacks. Optimus believes in peace and freedom, but he realizes that the Decepticons won't stop and he does what is right and attacks them all head on. I'm sure someone may have another interpretation of what these movies represent as well.

14. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I'm sorry...a realistic story of giant alien robots?

And beside there's nothing wrong with the story of the Ark crashing on Earth. It's a decent origins story.
    The Earth is a big place, and things can get lost underneath its crust.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing that origins story, but it doesn't have to be that.

On a further note, it's better than Megatron forgetting how fly and living as an ice cube in a human research lab. Not exactly realistic either...

15. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

You're joking, right? People don't like the movies due to peer pressure?

Their a lot of good comic book movies out there, and people publicly like them. Maybe people don't like the movies because they kinda suck. And that's actually an excellent reason not to like something.

16. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Hey, in Animated he didn't even have to be frozen for that to happen to him.

17. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

That is true. However Megatron fell to Earth from Omega Supreme, after getting his ass kicked.

18. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Meanwhile, in the movies he landed on Earth after the Earth's magnetic field screwed with his circuitry (after all, how was Megatron supposed to know a seemingly rock/organic-based planet would have a magnetic field? ought to have thrown him for a loop), and the heat generated from entry into the atmosphere would have definitely made him sink through the ice like a knife through melted butter, plus the paralyzing effects of thermal shock weren't helped by the ice re-freezing around his joints...yeah, you get the idea.

19. Grand-Convoy

Grand-Convoy God Ginrai

Think about the pressure you GEEWUNners put on the film makers. It's impossible to please everyone.

20. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

It comes down to one big flaw for me, the faces. Those are the WORST faces I have ever seen on Robots. It has nothing to do with G1 either. Yeah, I grew up with G1, but throughout all the TF incarnations, their faces were, well, faces. The Bay got ahold of them and all of a sudden, they look, wrong. Yeah, some grew on me, but not all of them. The movies were good though, I liked all three, but I had to kind of imagine different face on all the bots and cons to get through it without getting really aggrivated at Bay. The only other complaint I have is Starscream's bot mod reminds me of a ******ed mutant chicken. His shoulders are two wide, his legs are deformed and aghain, the FACE. LOL
    I'm not a big fan of Bay either, though. He has a habit of recycling scenes from other movies and that gets on my nerves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.