Why do the films get so much negative criticism?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BluRayHiDef, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Human weapons however are something real to base an extrapolation of the alien tech upon. So if a round that couldn't penetrate an armored hummer can take out an alien robot, the robot can't be that advanced and might benefit from some armor.

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Depends on the round in question. Armor Piercing bullets do exist and can pierce Hummers. In fact, Hummers don´t resist anything bigger than 20mm (and even those are different types of ammunition raging from incendiary to AP that could hurt Hummers and bigger things), tho these are usually fired from heavy weapons. Even the Hummers that could survive impacts have to have special armor add ons, like the ones operating with the portuguese army. Their maximum resistance is a caliber 20mm a 120 meters , muzzle velocity of 630m/s (data taken from a military site).

3. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    They were shooting 5.56mm M4 rounds and shredding Transformers. Even a hummer that isn't up-armored can resist that.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I'd have to agree with this. I fully accept that it's a particularly nerdy nit-pick, but I would genuinely appreciate it if more of the designs could work without visual slight-of-hand and a minimum of cheating. If you could actually trace almost every part all the way through a transformation. I realise that has nothing to do with telling a better story, but it does make things that much more satisfying. The extent to which they were able to accomplish this in the movies was hugely enjoyable, eye-popping incredible stuff.

Though typically what they do is distract us with moving camera close ups involving multiple parts rotating for show. It's really a small-scale version of how a Michael Bay movie works. The guy keeps everything moving, constantly switching focus, a variety of meaningless nonsense going on in each and every scene, never slowing down. But it's all a distraction, because he surely knows that he hasn't put the effort in in the first place to make it hold up to scrutiny. He's compensating. He's working on the assumption that we all have ADHD. It would be nice to slow things down at some point, have a little suspense. Allow the audience to ponder how the story might unfold, where things are going, and what significance earlier scenes will come to have as the movie progresses. Bay can't allow that, he can't allow his audience to think because the pieces don't fit and the flimsy plot is quick to unravel.

I like some of the images you posted, particularly the revised Ratchet. I think it's a decent example of how you can combine a modern level of believability with familiar old characters that are instantly recognisable to even the most casual of fans.

[​IMG]

Yeah, in addition to treating their source material with appropriate respect, those were actually genuinely good movies. For some reason if you recognise Bay movies for the cultural waste product they are, you're out of touch, over the hill, and you don't know how to appreciate a good explosion. Too much of an elitist snob, apparently. And yet those two you mention were popcorn blockbuster crowd-pleasers, and they worked for me.

Unfortunately, the Transformer movies give us something we just can't get anywhere else at the moment. As bad as they are, if you're looking for a giant robot movie with ILM-level effects, you're just going to have to put up with the Bay-level brainlessness that they come with.

I think it's possible to deliver that level of spectacle in a movie that can tell its story with suspense and sophistication and depth and characterisation and believability, and all those good things that would give the visceral visuals so much more impact and emotional resonance. Fantastic movies don't have to be fucking stupid. It's been demonstrated numerous times.

5. General Magnus

I don´t remember them shredding Transformers.

6. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    Shredding/penetrating/killing take your pick of terminology. Bayverse TFs get pwned by small arms fire.

7. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

They aren't fun to me. That's the main reason. But I also dislike Bay's directing/cinematographic style, I didn't like the characters, I didn't like the humor, and I didn't like the robot designs (not aesthetically pleasing to me). So, just not my kind of movie I guess.

8. General Magnus

Terminology plays a big difference. Shredding, penetrating and even killing are completely different terms. Tank can be penetrated by rounds and still be combat capable.

And we don´t know what kind of ammunition they used, "bullets" is a VERY ample term.

EDIT: apparently my data for the armored Humvees was wrong. They can withstand 20mm shots.

9. OptimusPrime108

OptimusPrime108 Autobot Field Commander

I can't believe how many people on these forums hate the movies. How many us actually like the movies? Because from what I'm reading, its not a big number. It is not G1, get over it. Its a different continuity.

10. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

You claim to be reading the thread but then you make a "it not G1" comment.

Most of the complaints I see about the film arent based on G1 issues.They are based on actual criticism of the films themselfs....not for what they arent, but for what they are.

11. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a quote that gets thrown around the [email protected] podcast a lot that pretty much encapsulates my feelings regarding the movies:

"I like dumb fun, the problem here is that it's not fun, it's just dumb."

12. OptimusPrime108

OptimusPrime108 Autobot Field Commander

I've read post stating that the movie designs are not only ugly, but unrealistic saying the G1 designs were more realistic. I'm sorry but how are the G1 one designs realistic? Starscream is a jet and Megatron a gun yet they are the same size in robot mode. I'm sorry but that is not realistic. So I guess my post was directed mostly at the designs rather than the movie in general.

13. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Actually,G1 Megs is a head taller than Screamer

14. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    This.

15. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

Yes but an alien ship went undetected until a volcano errupted. One robot crashing in the artic seems more plausable.

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

So, you claim to be reading the post in this thread, but your replies indicate that either you havent really read them all.

I just re-read EVERY post in THIS thread and not 1 poster claims "G1 designs were more realistic".

Maybe I missed something, so please show me which poster made that claim in THIS THREAD.

And as I already posted, Bay's designs werent any more realistic.

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Why?

Explain that logic please.

18. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

I agree. You'd think that on a Transformers fansite, you'd get a descent amount of people who like the films for what they are, but no; you get the opposite. So many nitpickers.

19. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    That is a good quote. Though I'd say they certainly are fun... up to a point. I don't regret the time and money I spent to see them. But good god are they ever dumb.

20. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Why do the films get so much negative criticism?

Because they fucking suck balls, there, I said it!

You Bayformer lovers are worse than women, you ask for the truth yet when it's given you become angry, defensive, apprehensive and what not!You can't handle the truth! Believe it or not there are people out there that just think they suck, just as there are people out there that think G1, beast wars or Armada suck and it's not because Megatron doesn't transform into a gun, they just suck they way other bad movies like the Expendables suck, they're just bad movies. As Snark posted they don't even work on the dumb fun level of a summer blockbuster movie! They're just bad movies and not because they're not G1, why can't you bayformer lovers just comprehend that!

So bayformer lovers could you stop opening this can of worms for the one billionth time that you people seem to enjoy doing knowing very well the responses you're likely to get!

End of discussion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.