Why do so many people dislike the Quintesson origin?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by HotRodDidNothingWrong, Jun 17, 2021.

?

What are your thoughts on the Quintesson origin?

1. It's my preferred origin story

32 vote(s)
    37.6%
  2. It isn't my favorite origin, but I like it

32 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. I don't like it

14 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. It's dumb and I hate it

7 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. Beauman

Beauman Banned

They don't actually.
    Most people dislike the Primus origin story, which is why Hasbro has been putting it on the bench lately.

The Quintesson origin story is so popular because it provides a deeper backstory to the origins of the Deception/Autobot conflict and it creates a plausible origin for the Transformer race.
    It also makes sense that there a lot of colonies spread out in space when you take into account that they are all the surviving products bought from the Quintessons by civilizations long dead.

The Primus origin on the other hand just has the Transformers being created by magic and the Autobots are the chosen people.
    Understandable that most people are tired of such an uninspired gimmick.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    To me, it's the best origin. I guess others don't like it, because they were more of a marvel transformers guy,having read that first.

Yup, I really don't like the Primus origin. I'm fine with UNICRON but leave this religious symbolism out of Transformers.

BTW anyone liking the evolving levers origin? :lol 

Edit:
    I just got a message by Starsaber, making me rethink my statement. I am a true believer to Primus.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't think so. If anything it strengthens the Primus origin if you count the FunPub explanation of the Quintessons being creations of Unicron, which actually is something their bios stated back in the Marvel Comics as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Because it requires thinking outside of the box with regards to origins. Human origins have two distinct schools of thought: evolution and divine intervention. Mechanical organisms fits one and Primus fits the other.

The Quintesson origin is almost an accident, like when lightning struck Johnny 5, or the more sinister "technology goes out of control" types from the Matrix and Terminator movies, and the questions it raises are different.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Ultra magnus13

Ultra magnus13 Well-Known Member

The concept of Transformers being completely artificial, and mechanical, yet still as "alive" and sentient as any other natural being, is something I always found interesting and endearing. Them being created by the with a "soul" by a creator deity, takes a lot of the uniqueness away. The Quints unintentionally creating sentient life in pursuit of profit, and then abusing and misusing them in that continued pursuit of profit is a far richer, cooler and more sci fi concept that has far more unique story telling potential. There is plenty of fiction that address the relationships of creator God's and the creations. As far as I know there is nothing else quite like the Quint/transformers relationship.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

That’s really not Primus proper speaking
    So you feel that “to be loving” is a prerequisite of a god?
    the marvel bio states they serve Unicron not tgat they were created by him
    upload_2021-6-20_12-47-51.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    My mistake about the Marvel part but it led to what Fun Pub did, taking it a step further to fit Primus into their version the G1 cartoon.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    This. I always loved how they were not intended to be sentient and feeling like we know them and they actually rose up to be the heros we know today and still even if they had that connection, the Decepticons sided against the Autobots in the end, because it was all about conquest for them. Also it explains better why they look humanoid. Probably most of their customers looked humanoid so a humanoid appearance for the Quintesson's robot assembly seems logical to appeal better to their customers. Transforming as a feature the invented in their civil war then also appears much more logical than BOOM all of a sudden sentient robots that just happen to turn into vehicles because they can. For a kid's play pattern that might be good enough, but for the story I really, really prefer the Sunbow origin. In my head there's no other.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    I just thought it was uncreative writing. It didn’t appeal to me as a kid nor as an adult. I prefer an origin where they evolved rather than were created.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Leo Primal-2

Leo Primal-2 Well-Known Member

I tend to prefer the Primus origin, mainly because it goes the extra mile and explains more than just the Transformers origins. It explains where Cybertron came from, where the Matrix came from, why it's lethal to Unicron, why Unicron wants to destroy Cybertron, why they can transform etc.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar Behind Blue Eyes

Tumblr:
    It's a matter of personal preference for me, as with most things TF-related. For me, the Primus origin can be expanded into a whole mythology, something which the Quintesson origin can't easily do. I got back into Transformers through Prime, so my taste is not necessarily shared by the community.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

That origin story in the Marvel Comics version, definitely does cheapen the Quintessons, at least in my opinion. It turns them from independent beings, with their own goals, to begins created for serving Unicron. It's removed them from the thing I liked most about them, the fact that they serve nobody, but themselves. Sometimes favoring one side over the other, when it suits them best. It also defines them as basically, inherently evil.

Which highlights an problem with mixing the two origins. It requires sacrificing one origin, in favor of the other. Regardless of which side one prefers. You either have to change the Quintessons to being not the creators, or you have to change Primus to being not the creator. Either way, all it does is weaken both origins. But, as I see in the comics, it has taken this one step further. It has taken the Quintessons, and turned them into servants of Unicron, rather than being independent.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gdg104198

gdg104198 Well-Known Member

Instagram:

I wouldn’t mind another layer. I could see the Quintessons as robots built by another civilization to build vehicles and stuff and they would create Transformers to help them overthrow their masters only to be overthrown by the Transformers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    To me, it's a prerequisite of any god worthy of worship. But I think elaborating further is going to bump up against certain forum rules.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I understand your trepidation about where this conversation can lead but I will say this

Just because a “(so called)god” is worshiped does not make him worthy of worship

• Like Like x 5
  16. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It should be noted that the whole "Quintessons are servants of Unicron" thing really never made it into the comic stories themselves. They don't appear at all in the US comic other than the fill-in Big Broadcast of 2006 issue and they're just a separate unrelated species in the UK comics.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Well, that's good. Never read that far into the comics to find out. But, it certainly doesn't sound very good for either party. But, especially for the Quintessons.

It basically creates a universe that is Transformers centric, where everything exists because of them, or involves them. Where as the cartoon, it's more like the universe is bigger than they are. The Junkions for instance, are they are separate race of transformers? Are they related? Perhaps, they're not. Perhaps they have an entirely different origin somewhere. Perhaps, there are more 'transformer planets' out there, created by the Quintessons. Perhaps, their consumer goods are not limited to just robots, but other goods as well. It just makes the universe seem bigger than the Transformers this way.

Combining the two, just makes it seem like it's all about Transformers, and only the Transformers.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Hail Galvatron

Hail Galvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Old Testament: Laughs in bears

• Like Like x 4
  20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I prefer the Quintesson origin over the Primus one because of the implied trajectory. Do we want to start from a cosmic god, then go lower to the 13 Primes, then even lower to the modern Autobots and Decepticons, who mostly don't even know they're insignificant pawns in an ancient war? Or do we start with slaves who grew beyond being goods to buy and sell, overthrew their masters, and continued to rise UP and evolve.

I like to imagine Primacron created the Quintessons, and they created the Transformers based on his technology. It would explain why Unicron seems to be made with similar technology and why the Autobot Matrix seems to have a connection to Unicron. It also explains why the Quintessons are serving or cleaning up after Unicron in the draft movie scripts. The Quints are also clearly cybernetic themselves, so where else do we suppose they came from?

EDIT: I had written "Primus" where I meant "Primacron". Now corrected.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 6