Why do people want the transformers to look like their g1 counterparts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheWarPathGuy, Oct 10, 2018.

?

Should the characters be a cross between realism and cartoon?

1. I never cared what they look like.

6.5%
  2. Absolutely.

47.0%
  3. I don't care what they look like; only if they act like the characters.

14.3%
  4. No way!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I want them to be completely g1.

17.9%
  6. I want them to be completely realistic.

14.3%
  1. Wheeljack84

Wheeljack84 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    1. The options on this poll are very weird and skewed.

2. Purely opinion here, but I've always thought the movie aesthetic was garbage and thought the robots looked like garbage. It made them look like twisted up vomited metal. For years we heard that the G1 look or style could never work on film, then Bumblebee proves that was wrong all along.

• Like Like x 8
  2. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Bumblebee movie that specifically goes out of it's way to adapt MANY of the Bay movie's design philosophies even in the Cybertron-only flashback guys proved the G1 look works? You're off the rocket.

The only character in the entire movie that looks 100% G1-ish is Soundwave and he is also the one that looked the worst.

3. Wheeljack84

Ebay:
    Not really.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Ding dong THE BAYVERSE IS DEAD!

That's entirely subjective, but the fact is you even admit he looked G1 enough to be recognizable, which was the entire point.

• Like Like x 5
  5. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Meh

• Like Like x 1
  6. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uh. No? The point that member made is "they said g1 would never work bwahahah fuck you mickel bay!!" and the only guy in that movie that actualy follows closely a Generation 1 design philosphy is also the one that looked the goofiest and awful. And more specifically, the one that at no point is ever imposed within real-life settings and real life footage. The others that show up within Earth are still very much in line with the Michael Bay movies art style and foundations. They're simpler but they're still much more rooted in the Bay films than any generation 1 character design.

Fact is: Blitzwing was recognizable as G1 seeker homage while still looking good and still looking modern and very much rooted in the design philosphy of past films with a new spin, meanwhile the guy that went too far into the 80s well looked terrible. No coincidence there. Being recognizable as the original character does not require G1 art style.

7. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    Let's just disagree.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

I liked octavius as parker/spiderman.
    Ben reily wasnt bad either

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Ding dong THE BAYVERSE IS DEAD!

You mean the guy everybody thought was Starscream until the footage from Cybertron leaked and Starscream was confirmed there because he had a more G1 style head?

Plus, Soundwave is going to be goofy no matter what if he's done properly. His face is close to the Decepticon symbol because it was always based on his toy head, but more importantly his chest/torso is a big-ass box with a door to launch minions out of. At the same time, he is the second most recognizable character after Prime BECAUSE of the tape deck chest, so the goofiness is integral to him - ironic given he's one of the scariest Decepticons in function but I digress.

The time for only going with what works in exclusively real life visuals ended with ROTF where a cement mixer could somehow hold a billion saw blades inside Devestator's throat. Transformers as a concept is silly but that's part of the fun - something the films before bumblebee progressively forgot. Who gives a damn if Soundwave looked chunky? He's supposed to be that way and he did all his signature actions - lest you forget where Transformers started back in 1984.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Wheeljack84

Ebay:
    I thought Soundwave looked fantastic in the movies so...whatever...

• Like Like x 9
  11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

For all the attempts Hasbro has made to the characters to try to sell more toys it seems like the redesigns don't really stick. It's kind of like how there were attempts to redesign GI Joe but then when you ask people what the characters should look like it seems to go back to A Real American Hero.

But it seems like once something becomes iconic enough to reach the pop culture level it gets really hard to change up the look of the character. DC has tried some pretty crazy things over the years but they always go back to something more iconic when their all new just can't prove as iconic as the look that broke into pop culture.

Ouch just look at how poorly people reacted when the first stab at a movie Deadpool lacked his merc with the mouth red pajamas look. Other than jokes in the Deadpool movies most people try to forget that look.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First of all, Soundwave, with a g1 flair, has looked good multiple and multiple and multiple times across the last 10 years. It's an exaggeration to say he would always look goofy. We've had designs for him in a cheap chinese game recently that still looked better than what we saw in the Bee film. I cannot agree with that. "Soundwave is supposed to look chunky!!" is absolutely stupid, you can have chunky and bulky without being unpleasurable and ridiculous to look at. If Optimus Prime and Blitzwing can look good and modern while having a recognizable G1 flair then so could and should Soundwave, who didn't, but that's fine you can't expect a 100% good design ratio in a movie that is rushing those out for a scene that will only last 2 minutes. Soundwave is the worst design in that entire segment however and it's even more painfully obvious when he's standing right next to the pretty great Seeker design and the also equally competent Optimus.

Second of all... NONE of this matters because what I think looks good and what I think doesn't look good was never the actual argument! The user was saying something more akin to "THIS MOVIES PROVES MICHAEL BAY LIED WHEN HE SAID BOTS COULDT LOOK G1 FUCK YOU", which is absolutely god damn ridiculous since 99% of the designs still feature visuals based GREATLY on Bay films (and even had ALOT OF THE SAME EXACT VISUAL EFFECTS AND DESIGN STAFF so yeah), and more specifically, every single one of them that showed up on Earth played the alien and organic shapes up even harder. So it's just ridiculous to claim that the movie is disproving Michael Bay wrong. If anything this movie PROVES Ben Procter and co. took the right visual development ideas all the way back in 2005 and 2006 since 14 years later a movie made by a guy clearly in love with the 80s stuff still understood had had to stick to that in a fundamental way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

14. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

I liked some of the movie designs like Barricade and Blackout but others like Devastator looked like a puked up road accident.

15. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    Tbh they could just use his Transformers Universe design

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy MAXIMUM CARNAGE!!!

The people who design the toys and the people who design the movie characters, have little to no communication at all.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mr Megatron

Mr Megatron Retired edgelord

bayformers is its own continuity and shouldn’t have to conform to any previous continuity’s designs or ideas.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Richard598

Richard598 Always think positive

I feel like the earlier IDW ongoing series got it right. Heavily based on G1 but lots of realistic details ala the Bay designs. The faces felt a little over complicated but everything else looks good in my eyes

• Like Like x 1
  19. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why?

probably for the same reason why people have been upset at Star Wars sequels since 1977, because they can't get anything to top "their first time," and can't accept that they have to just move on, and can't change things the way they can fanfiction.

20. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

I never wanted them to look 100% G1, I just wanted them to be recognizable as the character they're suppose to be.

Starscream has appeared in other cartoons besides G1 with various different designs but you can always tell it's suppose to be Starscream. The movie was the first main series Starscream to break this trend... and then we get a design that actually does look like Starscream and it's Blitzwing for some reason?

A lot of the designs not only do they not look like the characters but they don't even look like Transformers. How the hell is a robot from Terminator suppose to transform into anything? If you want to make a new character that's fine but they should at least look like they can actually transform.

• Like Like x 7