Why do people want the transformers to look like their g1 counterparts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheWarPathGuy, Oct 10, 2018.

?

Should the characters be a cross between realism and cartoon?

1. I never cared what they look like.

6.9%
  2. Absolutely.

47.3%
  3. I don't care what they look like; only if they act like the characters.

13.8%
  4. No way!

0.5%
  5. I want them to be completely g1.

16.7%
  6. I want them to be completely realistic.

14.8%
  1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

In regards to Ultimate Spider-man I'm not really a huge fan of that series either. I seen a few episodes, mainly Ultimate Deadpool and the Into the Spider-verse web warriors portion of the series. I also watched the origin episodes for Venom and Carnage which I absolutely hated... Though I kinda like when Nick Fury had the symbiote for a bit and they put a white X over where his eye patch would normally be rather than the typical Venom look. I've mostly avoided the series because I don't like the changes they've made to certain characters. Ultimate Deadpool is the only episode I've genuinely liked.

I was just acknowledging it's existence. Doesn't nessicerily mean I'm a fan of that series. 90's Spider-Man is my favorite Spider-Man cartoon.

2. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

K

3. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

BTW... was the explanation of Mr. Fixit being a grey hulk but not really being a Grey Hulk making any sense at all... this is kind of a confusing conversation so I'm not sure if anything I said made sense. I was trying to use G1 Transformers cartoon being animated but not being Transformers Animated as a comparison hoping that would help make my point but I've also had issues explaining that to people that don't know Animated is a literal title for a specific cartoon. Hopefully it made sense to you but you didn't really respond to that bit so I have no idea.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. Primeultra

I knew what you were coming from

5. LockdownTF

LockdownTF Well-Known Member

I love the G1 forms in Bumblebee but at the same I can understand why they changed them in the bay films. I mean honestly think allot of them like would just look weird and silly like someone dropped a 30 foot tall optimus prime figure in the middle of the street.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I don't necessarily want the characters to be 100% G1 but I do want them to resemble their respective characters. I did a search for certain characters on the Tfwiki to demonstrate how I feel.
    Screenshot (13).png
    In every continuity Ratchet has a white-and-red color scheme as well as a head crest. In the Bay movies, the only similarity is that they both turn into an ambulance.
    Screenshot (14).png
    Excluding RID 2001, Grimlock has had a very similar silhouette across all forms of media. In the Bay movies, the only similarities that they share are that they both have broad shoulders and turn into a dinosaur.
    Screenshot (15).png
    In every continuity Starscream has a similarly designed cockpit chest, null rays, and a similar head design. In the Bay movies, he retains the cockpit chest (to a degree) but lacks most of the other qualities that define Starscream's design. Again, the only main similarity is that they both turn into jets.
    Screenshot (16).png
    Hot Rod is pretty self explanatory. Just taking one look at all of the Hot Rods and you can see what they have in common. TLK Hot Rod shares almost none of those qualities.

I don't hate the Michael Bay designs but moving forward I would like for more traditional character designs. I know people want the franchise to be "unique" and move on from G1 but when it comes to the films I feel that the opposite should apply. The movies reach a larger audience than any other form of media. These multi-million dollar projects shouldn't be used as a basis to take risks and create huge departures from the rest of the franchise. That's not to say that the movies should stick to a generic formula but they should be indicative of what the rest of the franchise contains, not make up crap as it goes along with characters who don't resemble any of there many other counterparts.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 13
  7. drbeakman

drbeakman Well-Known Member

Your entire post, including your shin densetsu quote signature... is truth

• Like Like x 4
  8. Sentinel527

Sentinel527 Combaticon

I feel that design is not that important so long as a new continuity is established, obviously, some trademarks need to be kept but there should be some room for experimentation

• Like Like x 1
  9. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Try the other transformers characters from the movies

10. justframbo

justframbo Well-Known Member

In the case of Ratchet, I noticed how the movie one is the only version that incorporates an actual ratchet into his design. How do you get "doctor" from the name "Ratchet"?

For some of these characters, the alt mode is literally all you need for recognition.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2019
  11. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Nurse Ratched.

According to Bob Budiansky, that was who he was named after. Ratchet, I mean. Not Bob Budiansky. I don't know who he's named after.

bwtf.com: Ben's World of Transformers (Interviews)

• Like Like x 4
  12. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

I think it's because fans have been so conditioned and accustomed to it, that the idea of a movie makes them react like: Of course I'd like a movie! Just as long as it's somewhat like this....

It's like feeding them circles for decades, but then when the movie comes around: You feed them a triangle.

How do you expect them to react?

You can't be surprised that some fans rejected it, that they were legitimately upset with it- because I really do think conditioning is a part of it.

If you present something 1 way for so many years, and the fanbase gets too comfortable and favorable with it- and then you change it: Of course there's definitely going to be some backlash.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They don't have to necessarily look like G1, just look like actual Transformers, and not edgey Kamen Rider knock offs.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:

So The Hulk was originally intended to be less Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde and more like X-Men's Beast so to speak? That's interesting.

15. Primeultra

Excuse me but what?
    May I ask you what brought you to that conclusion?

How could Hulk be “originally intended more like X-men’s Beast” when neither the X-men note the Beast exsisted at the time?

By the way Jekyll and Hyde is more on point

16. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:

Because Beast was the immediate thing that came to my mind. I'm not saying that they were emulating a character that didn't exist yet. I was simply using him as an example of being brainy and brawny together instead of only being one, or the other at any given time. Sorry that I didn't make my example clearer. :redface2: 

17. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb

I like the designs in Bumblebee. It is a good middle ground of G1 and modernized realistic looking characters. I like some of the first bayverse characters, but with each new movie it seemed like they kept changing. Especially Optimus.

I think it all depends on what era of TF you grew up with. I was at the age of the target audience when G1 aired.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    I grew up with many different versions of the Transformers. In fact, I probably watched every American released show by the time I entered high school. But I didn't really care that characters didn't look or act like other versions from other series. I just accepted that each new series would bring its own version of each character; it was just something that came with the franchise. You really won't see me complaining that Movie Ironhide doesn't look like his G1 self or Animated Prowl doesn't act like RID Prowl. Of course there are limits; like I wouldn't want Optimus to transform into a moped, but really I'm pretty open to new looks and versions of each character with each new series.

• Like Like x 2
  19. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I just want them to look as cool as possible, and that may mean different from G1. I much prefer the looks of Optimus, Shockwave, Soundwave, etc from the first five movies more than their looks in the Bumblebee movie.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1