Why do people say TFP Starscream is the best version?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by GrimlockPrime19, May 20, 2021.

1. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    hes one of the few dudes to actually have a personality, one that I'd say is pretty close to G1. it doesn't come up much, but its there.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    By that logic, Sunbow optimus is a nameslap because he doesn't get damage from roller or his trailer taking damage.
    Or Animated Megatron is one because he didnt get bullied by Shockwave and or was not arrogant

Or every version of Hot Shot that isnt a black flamed porsche 959 is a name slap.

Or every other non G1 magnus is a nameslap because he didnt get a mammoth altmode.

Or IDW optimus is a nameslap because he wasn't a DOCK WORKER.

Bay screamer- A high ranking cowardly decepticon jet that gets abused by megatron.

Armada screamer- A high ranking decepticon jet that gets abused by megatron.

not a nameslap. just a new continuity.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sunbow Prime

Sunbow Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't. G1 is my favorite. He gets knocked around often, but he is competent. He was 2 seconds away from blowing up Earth with everybody but him, Shockwave, and Arkeville on it.

4. HispasatBot

HispasatBot Banned

You clearly misinterpreted my comment. Starscream's key personality trait is being treacherous. Armada Starscream hadn't that. To be honest, he had, but for 3 episodes. Armada/Micron Legend had 52 episodes and Starscream had treacherous thoughts only in 3 episodes. In the rest of the show, he was like ''I want to be a good servant but I got abused by Megatron, so I'm going to be a good guy.''

That's good to hear. So, he is more ''Starscream'' than the Armada version.

5. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Not really. Screamer also is prideful and wants to show himself off, and that is something the Armada guy did in essence. He wanted to prove his worth.

Again, all this Armada Starscream being Thundercracker stuff I don't buy. Thundercracker couldn't care less about demonstrating his worth. His apathy would just make him react with little to no concern. Starscream, on the other hand, does care about letting his presence be known and show that he is a valuable asset, and what Armada did was basically add a bit more to the idea and it also has inspired me quite a bit in the stuff I'm writing where Starscream is basically comedy relief in the surface and very ambitious and scheming, but deep down, he is just someone who is extremely insecure and feels the need to brag and show off to demonstrate that he is valuable, not only to others, but to himself. That is how much self-worth he has. He tries to demonstrate that he is a great warrior and can be ruler because deep down, he has no self-worth. On the outside, he looks like an egotist, but when you go deeper, you see that it's a whole different story.

• Like Like x 4
  6. HispasatBot

HispasatBot Banned

Yes really. He was the opposite of Starscream's character and was so loyal that producers/writers of Superlink were aware of that, and never intended to give him his memories back (They didn't need to give anyway)
    NIGHTSCREAM.jpg

7. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Legit Steve Blum's voice performance is the only reason one could like Prime Starscream. Otherwise he's a total chump whose character progression was completely decimated.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TheUltimateBum

Treachery isn't Starscream's only trait. He is also prideful, has a tendency to question some of his superiors decisions in a very open manner and he truly believes in the cause (if not, he wouldn't try so hard to show off that he is a valuable asset, and in the case of most characterizations, to take over), and the Armada version did feel prideful and really made his frustrations known (maybe not immediately, but by the end, he really had enough and became quite vocal about how frustrated he was), so I wouldn't call that the complete opposite, because it still feels like Starscream IMO. He would become increasingly frustrated of the abuse and more prone of losing his faith in the cause gradually as time goes on. Someone like Thundercracker just wouldn't give two cents about what happens with the cause because he is extremely apathetic and dispassionate, whereas Starscream is always passionate about what he does, he certainly fails, but he does have a drive and passion that Thundercracker certainly lacks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

I'm going a bit sacriligeous here but I def prefer Blum's voice over Latta's. Starscream's voice just positively grates on me even as a kid back in the 80s. I know that's kind of the point but I could only deal with that voice in one franchise so Cobra Commander it is.

Outside of that, I could go with pretty much any version of ol' Screamer. IDW is probably my favorite just for the amount of growth they gave him while keeping him entirely in character.

Only knock on TFP's SS is those wretched eyebrows. I love the rest of the design but those brows...it's like he thinks he's Rung or something. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    You say that as though the last discussion about this went your way. You were wrong about Armada Starscrema then and you're still wrong. He's not a nameslap, not even close.

But he did. Treachery is not synonymous with self-serving. Armada Starscream betrayed Megatron, but rather than out of ego it was out of nobility. It was the same core tenant of the character, just spun in a unique way.

That's flimsy justification and also doesn't make sense. If Armada Starscream was so loyal, why would he need to be memory wiped in order to serve Galvatron? The entire reason he had his mind wiped was because Armada Starscream would never willingly join Galvatron after what he'd been through. You literally just proved that Armada Starscream was disloyal.

• Like Like x 6
  11. TheUltimateBum

I feel I am more sacrilegious, cuz even though I like Chris the best (again, the guy's name is Starscream, and that voice just lives up to the name), I honestly prefer Charlie Adler over Steve Blum. A lot of people seem to feel Steve is pretty great as Starscream, but honestly, even though I love his take (he's one of my top five Screamer actors), it just feels like a discount version of Charlie Adler's take. Charlie does everything Steve does, but he seems to handle the mood swings and inflections much better. After listening to his unfiltered lines in the ROTF game (where they unfortunately pitched his voice down way too much), I really feel that Charlie does the more sneaky Screamer better.

• Like Like x 3
  12. TheUltimateBum

That's a very good point. Again, Screamer may not have been ego-driven there (but the character's sense of damaged pride is still there), but the dynamic in essence was the same as the classic character.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Man I really wish Charlie Adler got to play Starscream elsewhere. His performance is amazing, but completely wasted in the movies.

• Like Like x 2
  14. TheUltimateBum

Yeah, I did feel Screamer was the best part of ROTF and DOTM, but I do wish Charlie got another chance at the role (this time with more material like the ROTF game, but without the pitching).

• Like Like x 2
  15. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Yes.

• Like Like x 3
  16. HispasatBot

HispasatBot Banned

Yeah, sure. Of course I am wrong. Why? Because SPLIT LIP says so.
    I am right. You are wrong.
    Why he wouldn't? He was 100% loyal in his death scene. Remember what he said "I wanted you to recognize me."
    He would be like Ironhide/Demolishor. "I want to serve Galvatron, but I care about Autobots and humans. What should I do?!"

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That’s not loyalty, though. Wanting validation from someone doesn’t mean you’re loyal. You can want validation from an enemy. Starscream wanted Megatron to recognize him as a rival and an equal, not too dissimilar from how G1 Starscream wanted Megatron to see him as a threat an equal. Starscream stopped devoting himself to Megatron as an underling and instead wanted to fight him as a warrior, before eventually abandoning that as well in order convince him of the threat of Unicron. (“I wanted you to recognize me” is past tense, as in Starscream saying that’s what he once wanted, but not anymore) Starscream fundamentally opposed Megatron until the end, which is the defining characteristic of almost every Starscream.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Armada starscream aint a nameslap, he is a reinterpatation.

• Like Like x 3
  19. HispasatBot

HispasatBot Banned

"Why did you cut off the power of the wind blade? Why deliberately let me cut you down?!" asked Megatron.
    "I never wanted to beat you... I wanted..you to recognize me... Perhaps that's the only reason." said Starscream.

He is also a copycat of Dinobot as SaberPrime said: Bad guy challenges Megatron, bad guy joins the good guys, bad guys sacrifices himself, bad guys returns to life without memories and becomes a lackey of Megatron.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Okay, but that’s still not loyalty. Starscream didn’t kill Megatron because he wanted to prove to him that Unicron was real and that only the combined Autobot and Decepticon armies stood a chance against him. I’m not sure if you’re going off the dub or ML but Starscream makes this obvious in both. He wasn’t fighting Megatron to try and kill him.

You seem to insist on trying to simplify an inherently complex character. Starscream’s motives were not as single-minded as you think.

If you overly simplify it maybe, but you critically left out things like why Dinobot challenged Megatron and switched sides, or the fact that Dinobot defected immediately, whereas Starscream grew disillusioned over time.

I mean hell, Dinobot starts the show really Starscreamish in his motivations, so if you’re saying Armada Starscream “copied” that I guess it just makes Armada Starscream more Starscream. :D 

• Like Like x 2