Why do people like g1 sunbow cartoon so much

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mrgalvaprime, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

In Beast Wars, there was no full-scale war. It was a conflict between a small group of Maximals and a small group of Predacons dubbed "the Beast Wars".

In Prime, the full nature of the war has yet to be explained. We know that there are other groups of Autobots and Decepticons out fighting each other, probably on different planets similar to Team Prime. We have to assume that the Autobots and Decepticons still report to Optimus and Megatron, respectively, but the two armies are divided into small groups on separate campaigns.

So, yeah. Weak argument there.

2. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I thought BW had a smaller cast because the limited CGI technology would only allow 5 characters or so at a time? I read that somewhere, don't know how true it is.

I can't believe this thread is still going, by the way. Let it lie, can't we agree to disagree? Enough already!

3. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

I'm very much aware that as a kids show, it's not going to be some huge definitive piece on global issues. What I am saying is it's the only series to bring in something real as a foundation. (A war for OUR resources)

Which other series used real vehicles? The movie verse naturally had to but it still utilized a lot of concept vehicles.
    *Edit* RID had real vehicles which was awesome.

Both were shown as leaders who were learning as they went. This concept was introduced with Rodimus Primes leadership (Although badly done) I just prefer G1 Primes confidence over any other incarnation.

I personally don't need my soldiers in soldier stories to all have some big character revelations. Optimus was the core character of the series and his Autobots relation to him was secondary. Like most war movies, the commander makes the judgment calls and deals with the consequences of his choices.
    The small squad approach feels more like a schoolyard fight than an intergalactic war in my view. Just not a fan of it.

The movies did a great job of mixing it up a bit. I'm a huge fan of the movies because they got a lot of what makes Transformers interesting for me.

....anyway, I don't remember saying the other shows are bad because they lack the variety (Or because of anything I've mentioned). The thread asked what we liked about G1 and I answered. Personal preference is not something that is debatable.

4. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I couldn't agree more!

Yes that was true about the limited CGI technolgy at the time but the upside of it was it gave us deep and memrable characters as a result.

I agree with you!

5. kaijuguy19

News Credits:

Not true. The movieverse and Transformers Prime has this going on too with their respective odeas of handiling it.

Like I said the movieverse has it as well as Prime. The thing is the reason why G1 and RID had the real vehicle thing goin gon was becuase in G1 the toys were concived before the show aired which Hasbro just randomly picked up. RID's toyline was in a way a recash in on the old G2/Beast wars toys. The other series had to make fictional/semi fictional vehicles was because of the copyrights they have to secure which can cost time and money. They have to work around it so they can bring the idea of real vehicles without being sued for copyrigth infrgiement.

By the way the concept cars you've mentioned aren't reall concept anymore. Because I see the Chevrolt Camero,Corvette Stingray,and the Pontiac Solstice on the raod often so that means they aree indeed real vehicles.

In Animated Optimus's case that's very much true. Primal on the other hand was already experecned in leadership and knows a great deal on how to handle things which was shown in the first episode.

But the leader isn't the only important character. Many of the greatest war films and stories focus on not just the leader but his team as well. Focusing some storys on each of his warriors help them to be developed into memorable characters that you care for a lot instead of him just being a typical cannon fodder with a personalty flat as a board. That's the reason why shows like BW.TFA,and TFP are very memrable because it focuses on ALL of the Autobots/Maximals not just the leaders.

As for you view on the small sqaud approach well the Movieverse would like to have a word with you on that because it has an army that's anything but a small squad. Even Prime has the Autobots figting an entire army of Decepticon troopers which isn't exactly a schoolyard fight.

Well the movies was what got me thinking about Transformers again so same here!:thumb 

I know you didn't say the rest of the shows were bad. You've answered your question for the thread and that's good!:)  I was just explaning some facts about the other series that you pointed out that wern't really accurate but your right on some. Your also right about personal prefernece. If you like G! for those reason alone that's great for you! You've found what you like and I respect that! You have your way of like ransformers and I like mine!:) 

6. Wikkid

The movieverse started out with an Allspark quest....then went on to a sun harvester to restore said Allspark. The third was finally about taking our resources which was a great plot point. The problem with it was that Earth is way to small to supply any significant help to a planet as big as the Cybertron depicted. To get into more detail on G1's approach, the appeal it has for me is that our "fuel" is their food. It's something they required or face extinction. In DOTM, it was merely to restore their planet. Being that they could live anywhere in the galaxy and survive, whatever the end result was was hardly life threatening to their race.
    With Prime, It's played more on dark Energon and the war which is nice and well written but not matching up to the specifics of the point being stated as preferable.

I'm aware of the legal issues and time frame of release but not sure how it makes any difference in what I've stated as a preference. G1 used real world cars as a basis for the alt modes. The toys were near spot on and the toon depicted close approximations. You can literally name the make and model of every character from the first two seasons. With TFP, if you could let us know what exact cars Bumblebee, Bulkhead, Ratchet, Breakdown, Knockout and the vehicons turn into, I'll admit you are absolutely right.

I'll give you that, but at the time of viewing it just seemed odd to see BB scan a 2010 Camaro in 07. Or Jazz scan a custom Solstice on the showroom floor. Or Ironhide take the form of a Topkick model that was never produced at the time. (Up till then, it was sold as a cab and chassis awaiting modification intended for commercial use) ROTF then brings us the 2012 Stingray, a 2011 chevy Volt and the concept cars known as the twins all in 2009. It's not that big of a deal in the long run but seeing these non production vehicles at the time took me out of the movie for a second.

Primals soldiers didn't always obey him nor respect him at times. Rattrap and Cheetor would routinely create their own code of conduct rather than follow orders. (To say nothing about Dinobot) To me, this came across as his men not fully trusting his lead. Yes he was well written and flushed out nicely, I just prefer the original Optimus.
    .....then we get into Beast Machines.................or not.

Personal preference. No real way to debate this point.

I'm assuming you're referring to DOTM as the other two didn't have too many Transformers involved. (Considering the importance of claiming the Allspark and the ability man had in knocking the shit outta the decepticons)
    ....and yes, DOTM was one hell of a battle for the franchise.

7. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

This thread is going to go on with the same cyclical arguments till it gets locked, then in a short time another will pop up, so it may just save time to leave it open and rename it the "The All Encompassing I Love/Hate G1 Thread" :lol 

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Part of it could Be true but id rather think its because producers wised up in the 90s. Its just not sustainable to have that large number of characters running around n it was only acceptable in the 80s because the toy makers were practically shoving characters down show producers throats.

80s may have been the golden age of toy based tv cartoon but 90s had some clever n well written cartoon shows who were written for more than just kids in mind.

9. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Why do I LIKE the G1 sunbow cartoons so much well its simple, I GREW UP on them so its what I know about and love. The rest IMHO does NOT exist in transformer lor of the history of it.

10. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i love arielbots meet option pax
    8 consticons built megatron

11. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    This.

I have a question. Why is it that those who don't like/aren't bothered about G1 are obsessed with finding out the reason for those that do?

12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

actually it's, megatron builds the constructicons, then in another episode, in the secert of omega supreme, he turns them into decepticons, during the beginning of the war. THEN it shows megatron being built by constructicons, 8 of course.

which all implies one thing.

megatron's space bridge, can time travel, and create time paradoxes! :lol 

13. kaijuguy19

News Credits:

Well in G1 it's third season moved away from the whole Energon plot and moved on into Space Opera territory so it had that going on too.

Most of the TFP vehicles are indeed real vehicles and jets. Starscream's alt mode is an F-16 Falcon,Skyquake's alt mode is an F-35 Lighting,Soundwave's alt mode is an General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper drone,and the Vehicon troopers alt mode is a Cadillac brand vehicle. Besides I don't think most children growing up with the G1 show didn't really know what brand of cars the Transformers had until they have gotten older. So I don't think some children care which alt mode they have even if they wern't fictional. Though if some children stuidied them than that's good.

Well that's true. They didn't start out being in public hands at first but Optimus's truck was perhaps the only one at the time that wasn't a concpet brand.

That is very much true. Though in Cheetors case he was just being too reckless for his won good while Rattrap was just a loud mothed complainer who didn't know his place.

That's fine with me dude!:)  It all has to do with persoanl prefernece in the end. We both have different ideas of characters in warfare and we have different tastes.

In th efirst movie yes but in ROTF there are certainly more of them going on but not as much as DOTM like you said.

14. Wikkid

At this point, I'm in full agreement with j00 d00ds.

15. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One more reaons I like it Wikkid, is that the cartoon's definitely given you some material to make some great MP Customs (sorry about the ass-kissing, the p[oint-counterpoint stuff was getting old)

16. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

It was far from perfect but it DID start everything. They knew what they were doing. Bringing the toys to LIFE that the comic didn't. It was the perfect commercial to sell those toys.

17. Wikkid

On the bright side, I got some sweet free posts out of it.:D 

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nostalgia.

19. DeathAnghell

DeathAnghell Beast Wars!

I'm guessing it's popular because most people saw the cartoon first and never read the comics. As a kid, I don't remember ever seeing the comics at the store. It was the cartoons and toys that originally caught my attention. I still haven't read the comics.

20. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Wheeljack doesn't report to anyone apparently. He just popped his head in and popped back out like he was his own commander. Prime didn't even know the guy. Prime asked for Bulkhead to vouch for him.

Megatron has almost no followers. This is why he had to dredge up zombies.

The only Autobots and Decepticons waging war on other planets are in your head. I know it's a crappy show, but try watching it sometimes.