Why do people hate Miko so much?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by OP84, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Zombie Prime for Zombie Thread.
    300px-Optimusg1zombie.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Because she never grew as a character.

Every episode was Miko leading the kids into a dangerous situation that almost got everyone killed, promising to never do that again and then doing it again anyway. No one enjoyed her character constantly being reset. It would be one thing if she'd learn her lesson and it would actully stick but it never does.

• Like Like x 2
  3. EMazing

EMazing Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Lol I hope not. This topic LIVES AGAIN!
    LOL I had to do this. I just started watching the show and had to see if anyone else felt the way I did about Miko. Lol
    EXACTLY

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot *º* Hockey Mom *º*

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Anyway, I love Miko, I think she's the most realistic of the human children. I was exactly the same way she was when I was younger. I adopted a dog recently and named her Miko bc I love Miko so much. Read Tag. It's true. 53020245_10219068371158891_1670520017881399296_o.jpg
    Capture.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  5. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

This is pretty much it. If she had started as a reckless idiot and grew up, then I think she would have been better received, but the writers leaned too hard on her as a plot instigator for the good guys.

• Like Like x 1
  6. EMazing

EMazing Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The part I knew my frustrations had hit critical mass was when she tricked Bulkhead into leaving the base when he had all the info in his head. When Optimus was negotiating and the Cons found Bulkhead wandering around I had to pause, leave, and then come back because I was so annoyed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It's not realistic for a 13 yr old girl to mature immensely in less than a year.

8. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Scratch-builder, TF and Gunpla enthusiast

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    But either then, most !3 years old know better than to running around in the middle of a war zone where they could die every second, risking both themselves and their allies, and repeating it again and again.

I don't hate Miko as much as most here do, but I still find her incredibly annoying with her incredible stupidity screwing things up, putting others such as Jack and Raph in danger, and when she's helpful she just being helpful because of dumb luck. Also maybe it just me, but everytime she's on screen she's always behave in such a ridiculous manner that I can't take the show seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It's not realistically for a 13 year old girl to run into combat zones constantly and hang out with giant robots.

Realistically she should be terrified of her situation.

10. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm sure there are 13 year old girls in Syria who walk into combat zones on their way to school. But, I get why some would be scared in that situation, yeah.

11. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

There is a world of difference between how girls living in war-struck areas think and act and how Miko acts and thinks.

The latter treats it like a fun adventure and rushes into danger because it's just so excited!

The former sleeps in the same room as her parents and siblings because if a bomb hits their house, they'd prefer to die together. Oh, whenever she goes to school, she knows there's a chance she might not come back. Last week, a schoolmate of hers got blown up and the poor girl's mother walked around the neighborhood, collecting what little remained of her daughter.

Seriously, not comparable in the slightest.

Miko is probably one of the things that most counter the argument that Prime is a dark and serious show because she never suffers any real consequences to her behavior and none of the veteran soldiers does anything to seriously restrain her or reprimand her (at least not that I can remember)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  12. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I mean, you nailed it.

13 year old girls don't mature in a year, but 13 year old girls aren't in Miko's situation. Miko never learns, she never grows, she never adapts or changes to her environment. She's one-track and simple-minded, and causes grief for other characters because of it. If she was the only victim of her stupidity that'd be fine, but she isn't. Her stupidity gets everyone else besides her in trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Girls like that need someone to relate to. Representation matters and all that jazz, right?

14. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

The thing is that Miko wouldn't have been such a big problem if it had only been the start of her character; if she had, over the course of the series, matured as a person and I'm not saying she needed to go the way of GoT's female characters (god no). She could still be a cheerful and upbeat person. She would just be a cheerful and upbeat person who learned from her mistake and was taught by experience to think first and be more cautious, especially since she has people who care about her and who are directly affected by her actions.

Also, it is entirely possible to write a young girl who is still cheerful and upbeat despite living in a warzone because, well, that's true in real life as well. Children in traumatizing and dangerous environment still act their age but they also don't because they have, to an extent, adapted to their environment which is inherently hostile to the child-like traits (emotionally immaturity, shortsightedness, recklessness etc.)

And finally, Miko's behavior also reflects poorly on everyone else because they are unable to rein her in or rather they are unwilling to. It not only makes them look ineffectual (and kind of incompetent) but it also makes them look incredibly irresponsible especially since they are in charge of the kids' safety. It reminds me a lot of Ahsoka Tano from Clone Wars.

In one episode, Ahsoka lies her way onto a very important and dangerous mission by saying another Jedi Master ordered her onto it. At the end, the Jedi Master in question learns about this and clearly knows she's lying but for whatever reason, he just choses to go along with it. (Seriously, no reason is given for why he goes along with it and it makes absolutely no sense from a character perspective)

In another episode, Ahsoka is relieved of her punishment duty prematurely because she did the exact thing that landed her said punishment duty meaning she would have learned nothing except that she should keep doing whatever she wants because if it ends badly, she can just keep doing it until she does good because that makes up for it. If I remember correctly, this includes getting people killed. But hey, they were clones so whatevs, right? Ahsoka wouldn't be cut up about them dying as a direct result of her recklessness, right? It's not like she spends most of her time around clones and are aware of their individuality and humanity...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Could you explain or rephrase that? I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    No, no it doesn't. And certainly not when the character is that poorly written.

I'd be pretty pissed actually if I were being "represented" by a complete idiot.

The differences are Ahsoka is actually a warrior and makes real contributions regularly despite still being a student, and additionally she actually does mature and grow over the course of the show into a far more capable and intelligent person. She actually did fail and suffer consequences for those failures more than she was absolved of them, and many times proved herself capable in spite of it.

It's not really "for whatever reason." He's her closest friend and bails her out because she actually ended up saving that mission by going along with it, and was actually correct in her assertion that she was more than capable and useful in that situation. Her disobedience is forgiven by the characters because she actually accomplished something important, unlike Miko who causes nothing but trouble and isn't a warrior or expected to act like one.

17. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Mentally ill girls? Need representation.

18. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Just because you don't like her, doesn't mean she's poorly written. My daughter loves the character and so do I. I think Jack is poorly written, boring and the worst character in the show. But, there are some people who like him. Where's the lynch mob for him?

19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Miko isn't mentally ill, though. Being stupid isn't an illness, it's being stupid.

No, I don't like her because she's poorly written.

Jack wasn't irritating to watch, though. He didn't stupidly cause issues where none existed.

And I don't like him either, FWIW. I hate all of the Prime children because they're all terribly written.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

And that is just wrong in more than one way. For one, there is like zero indication that Miko was written to have a mental illness and if she was written to be mentally ill, it would not improve the quality of her character.

Furthermore, Miko would be rather atrocious representation to its target demographic, in no small part due to the fact that the show would be glorifying the worst and most dangerous traits of her supposed illness.

It reminds me of MLP:FiM's episodes about family that would sometimes be tone deaf in a really irresponsible way. Like, they once did an episode where the moral of the episode became that you should never set healthy boundaries with your parents, even if their actions directly endanger other people's lives, because they only act that way because they love and there are orphans and children from unsupportive families that don't get that love so just be grateful, you ungrateful sack of shit. Look at that little orphan girl crying and telling you how you broke her heart by being such a bad person. You were her hero, you jerk, she only had you to look up to! Holy shit, I remember actually getting mad at the episode and that rarely happens.

• Like Like x 2