why do people call the movie prime weak.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by NathimusPrime, Apr 9, 2013.

1. NathimusPrime

NathimusPrime Well-Known Member

I see all kinds of comment about movie prime being weak. Is it just because people want to insult the movies more?

2. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's because the cartoon primes have all been virtually indestructible, unless the script calls for a new toy.

All the tfs in the movies seem pretty week, having there heads torn in two, arms ripped off, punched through the stomach, cut in half.

Though not as bad as Bruticus in BOT

3. NathimusPrime

NathimusPrime Well-Known Member

yeah but primes usually the one doing the cutting.

4. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    He's weak because he gets his ass kicked.

He's a lunatic for ripping off faces.

MOVIE HATER LOGIC.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If anything, all of the cybertronians in the movieverse are "weaker" than their counterparts in most other continuities.

But that just so that movie haters can insult them more, right?

I'm of the opinion that's not a bad thing, and helps "ground" them more in the reality of live-action, but that's another discussion.

6. Alooulla

Alooulla Decepticon

The last word i would ever use to describe movie prime is weak. Unrelatable, merciless, overpowered at various instances, but never weak.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    No, it's because he was Megatron's little rag doll.

8. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

I didn't think people called Movie Optimus weak anymore. That's more of a callback to the pre-RotF days, when, as Bellpeppers pointed out, Megatron dominated Optimus in their final fight. Nowadays, it's more common to hear Movie Optimus called overpowered.

9. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Where do you see these comments? I've never seen anyone calling him weak. Psychopath, yes. Poorly written, yes. NOT the Optimus Jesus we're used to, sure. But never weak.

*checks OPs post count.
    Oh, you're fishing out for a discussion, I see.

10. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

Ppl call him weak? :sly: 

11. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    In TF1, he was incredibly weak. In tf2 and TF3 he was way over powering.

12. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I'm not sure why people would call Movie Prime weak in the first film. I mean, take his fight with 'Crusher. After being tackled off the higher segment of the motorway, he then takes a punch straight to the face (that, if you look closely, hits hard enough to splatter some 'blood' on the car's windshield) and his only response other than a grunt is to punch back harder.

Optimus Prime was strong. But Megatron was stronger. Still, he put up a hell of a fight; Megs had to work to wear him down :) 

13. OptimussSTAR

OptimussSTAR Well-Known Member

there is nothing weak about Optiimus Prime, it really annoys me when people tear apart a character like that. Someone is either complaining about him one way or tearing him apart another way. There is never any happy medium with some of the people on here. they are either complaining of characters or complaining about Bay no one ever seems happy about things

14. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My reaction when I read the thread title.

15. BenYee

BenYee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see this as a fairly objective observation if you have followed other continuities. In G1, Optimus Prime would get kicked around, punched, blasted and barely have a scratch (until TF: The Movie of course). In the movie universe, 'bots and 'cons in general seem be easier to destroy and I speculate that is due in part to how they're constructed (less armor panels, more exposed machinery inside etc.). I don't think it's a "Bay-bashing" thing.

16. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tend to think of violence and over assertiveness as a weaknesses. Optimus Prime, in most continuities, doesn't need to resort to that.

To the same point, but a slightly lesser degree, Richard Harris seemed like a stronger Dumbledore than his replacement Michael Gambon (to me, at least).

"Speak softly and carry a big stick." - Theodore Roosevelt

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that in general the sort of "even" give-and-take brawls in other Transformers media don't really exist in the movies. The movies have several great battle scenes, but only two great fight scenes (and one of them is short). In every fight, SOMEone is getting utterly crushed (except Twins vs. Devastator which was just...puzzlingly inconclusive). It's either going to be OP getting crushed, or doing the crushing.

Unfortunately this had the side effect of making Megatron seem like an unstoppable force in movie 1 and an above-average thug in movie 2.

Only one fight scene, the forest fight in RotF, managed to be an extended fight with a distinct narrative. Notably, this is the only fight in the entire series that made the losing character nevertheless seem powerful.

18. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Hey, you joined TFW! Glad to have you here! Your site rules, has ruled, and (hopefully) shall continue to rule!

It's also pretty objectively true that cybertronians are "weaker" compared to the marvel (and to a large degree, DW and IDW) comics, TF: Animated, Masterforce, and RiD, where humanity was essentially powerless to stop them and where really the only thing that kept us from annihilation was the altruism of the Autobots.

People talk about the construction of the movie-verse cybertronians being an explanation for their relative fragility, but I think they miss a key point: The Bay-verse is one where it is explicitly stated that all modern, digital-age technology is the result of reverse-engineering of cybertronians. This (naturally) extends to human weapon technology, meaning that as our technology has grown (using Megatron and the Allspark as a Rosetta Stone), the weapons we have developed to combat that technology have, by proxy or coincidence (or as we see in the first film, deliberate choice, and I wish this had been followed through on in the second and third film), been developed to be effective against cybertronians.

19. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The first movie fight or something else ?

GASP. THE BEN YEE !!!!!! (gets worship mode)

Well yeah, that's fine and all, but they should effective deterrents rather than the "final solution".

Anyone here remember those old black and white sci fi movies where a giant insect/spider attacks the town and the U.S. army rolling out ? You think Bay was creating a "parody" of it by making Transformers ?

Weak in overall strategy and actual thinking. Yeah.

20. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Well, they did have N.E.S.T. and the energon detectors. Sort of hard to deter a species geared towards infiltration and subversion, I guess. And detente doesn't really suit the style of the films, does it?

The Transformers films definitely have roots in the genre of "alien invasion" films. They may not be intentional references to movies like THEM! and Beast from 20,000 fathoms and the original War of the Worlds, but they've definitely been influenced by the cinematic tropes those films have contributed to. In a specific sense, however, it looks like the Bay films draw more directly from more recent alien invasion films like Independence Day and the War of the Worlds remake, and (obviously) Armageddon, which were in turn influenced by those classic films (or the films they influenced).