Why didn't Marvel do a GI Joe/Avengers crossover in the '80s?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by sevenlima, Nov 8, 2016.

1. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Could have been possible, a crossover between them in the 80's ?

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Oh for the luva Mike. The thread title made me think this was an upcoming comic.

I guess it could have been possible. Thank goodness it never happened. Even Spider-Man on his own in the Transformers comic was a huge mistake, imo. It was hard enough to ignore the fact GI Joe should have shown up to some of the major TF conflicts on Earth during their series without having to also think, "Where the hell are the Avengers, Defenders, FF, SHIELD, X-Men, etc. during this? No way they would be ignoring this going on..." To then have that also going on in GI Joe would have killed that book dead. And GI Joe was too good a book to be ruined by having super-heroes in it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Probably would have been a Nick Fury/shield crossover. If it were the Avengers. They would have left out Thor for sure. But yeah, it could have happened in the 80s. Just like Spiderman in Transformers 3.

4. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Sevenlima, my man...

...do us all a favor. Ask your question in the title. None of your threads have done so as of yet; they have either named a director/writer or put two properties together. They include such gems as:
    • "Jon Favreau"
    • "Ehren Kruger"
    • "Transformers/Avengers"
    • "Gi Joe/Avengers"
    ...just something to consider. Otherwise, it ends up becoming clickbait.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

They were probably still fighting that big, green, fire-snortin' lizard Fury was ranting about...
    [​IMG]

6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    A comic crossover between these franchises would be interesting to see.

7. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Primus Hates You

Not going to happen. He's been doing this on His Stank for years. Just look at the Joe movie forum.

G.I. Joe Live Action Movie

8. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    ...oh my god

9. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

I just want hear your opinions guys.

10. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

My opinion is that you should include your question in the post title, and that a G.I. Joe/SHIELD crossover would have been fun, since Larry Hama's story concept was reworked from an idea for SHIELD task force comic.
    But primarily, I think you should include your question in the post title.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  11. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Had I known this thread was a question, I would have not clicked it.

The content of your opening post should have been the thread title and the content of your post should have been your own thoughts about your question.

12. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Short answer?

Marvel held the rights to both in the '80s, so YES.

/thread, lol

13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it just makes too much trouble of them being in the same universe. We have issues now of why doesn't GIJoe respond to Transformer activity. Now think that but a world with superheroes. Why wasn't Avengers sent in to stop Cobra? If they fight HYDRA, why ignore COBRA? Just better for both series to be kept separate.

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Aside from some early cameos like Spider-Man appearing in Transformers, Marvel generally tried to keep their mainline and toy-based comics separate. I'm not sure if it was because of what happened with Rom and the enormous rights headache that turned into or not, but by the midt-to-late 80s Marvel kept the lines intentionally very separate.

Even if they had been willing to do crossovers, though, it would've been GI Joe/X-Men, not the Avengers. That was the era when the X-Men were by far Marvel's biggest and most popular franchise.

15. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well marvel had tons of movie and show tie ins as part of the main marvel universe so they could have made gijoe canon. Transformers was going to take place in the main marvel universe. Other non owned by marvel shows that have versions in the marvel universe are--

Conan
    Red Sonja
    Solaman kaine (I misspelled that didn't I?)
    Kull
    John carter of mars
    Shogun warriors
    Godzilla and the other monsters.
    Meteor man
    Sledgehammer (yes based on the 80s series!)
    Rom
    Micronouts
    Doc Savage
    Dr who
    Alf (really! Alf annual 1 showed he was part of the marvel universe and he was in the marvel handbook!)
    Saturday night live
    Dr fu munchu
    War of the worlds
    NFL superpro
    Guiding light as heroes! (really!)
    Kiss as heroes
    Human fly
    US 1
    Team america
    among others!

Versions of all these guys are walking around the main marvel universe somewhere!

16. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Did you actually read any of these that prove this or are you just making a list of licensed stuff published by Marvel? A quick Google search show no real connection of the doctor to 616 Marvel.

17. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well the doctor who that goes to the marvel universe is not from that universe. It's the one from the uk comics reprinted in color by marvel in the us. He just goes into the universe at times. He sent death head there from the transformers universe after all. (this is talked about in death heads marvel handbook page.) He has been in a few handbook listing as well however due to rights marvel just calls him "the doctor" or "time traveling doctor." Like Godzilla he shows up in the background as easter eggs like Godzilla in mighty avengers 1 and the dr who cast in avengers 7.

As for the rest shogun warriors and Godzilla had stories that later went into other titles. Fantastic four played a big role in shogun warriors as well. Meteor man crossed over with the night thrasher mini. Sledgehammer had satana in the first issue and a Spider-Man fake in the second. US 1 and team America showed up in other titles like captain America as did rom and micronouts.

War of the worlds was in killraven and gotg who fought the 616 version of the aliens with dr strange while visiting avengers mansion in the main universe.

2001 is where machine man came from. Alf was part of the evolutionary war. Conan went through time and met scott lang ant-man in fantastic four. Red Sonja teamed up with spidey twice. Kiss was in howard the duck and fought dr doom. Saturday night live was in marvel team-up. Doc savage was in marvel two in one.

Fu munchu was the bad guy to master of kung-fu. NFL superpro was talked about in the legion of losers story.

Conan did a crossover with soloman kain. (I know that is not spelled right!)

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Don't forget the time the Avengers went on the David Letterman show for Assistant Editors' month.

And yeah, it's Solomon Kane.

19. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

The puppets or a different Team America?

Because if it's the puppets, this brings up so many awkward questions.

20. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

It's Death's Head, hmm?

Death's Head's adventures in the Transformer Universe dumped him into the Doctor's Lap, who then dropped him off in the Marvel UK Universe and eventually 616, where he was then sent to the alternate universe/future of Iron Man 2020.

It's one of those complicated, multiverse things.