Why Didn’t Optimus Rememberer Starscream in Energon?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by IamaMeatRabbit, Jun 19, 2019.

1. IamaMeatRabbit

IamaMeatRabbit Well-Known Member

So recently I’ve been watching Energon. While it isn’t great, it isn’t as bad as I was expecting.

Anyway, when Starscream first returned in episode 8, Optimus didn’t remember him, which seems odd given that Starscream was briefly an Autobot and was a major factor in uniting the Autobots and Decepticons during the Unicron Battles.

But then, in one of the episodes in the middle of the series, there’s a scene where OP and Starscream fight. Optimus refers to Starscream by name. This raises the question of, if Optimus found out that Starscream had returned, why didn’t he try and do something? Like get him back on the Autobot team? Or at least ask why he’s fighting for the Decepticons again?

I scrolled through the tfwiki page on Starscream, but didn’t find anything. Is there a canon explanation for this I missed? Or should I just assume it was yet another thing lost in Energon’s rushes production?

2. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    The Unicron Trilogy is a massive, twisted mess when it comes to canon. You're going to be much better off if you try not to worry about inconsistencies between the shows, especially when the people who animated the shows basically threw Hasbro's scripts out the window.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Gzstg

Gzstg Well-Known Member

I don't think it got lost in translation as a lot of other stuff did. I don't think it was ever stated in SuperLink which fans regard as the better version of Energon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. IamaMeatRabbit

IamaMeatRabbit Well-Known Member

I figured that was the case. Thanks for the info.

5. 009*

009* That Guy In Nebraska

News Credits:
    Yep, though they tried to handwave it that the "Unicron Singularity" warped time, screwing people's memories. Come to think about it, isn't the Unicron Trilogy Optimus three different Convoys in the Japanese versions?

• Like Like x 2
  6. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well, he was just a random jet guy as far as OP and everyone else probably knew for some time, and by the time it was clear who he was, it was obvious that he was a devout enemy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ArcanielRE3

ArcanielRE3 Honorary Autobot

The answer is really quite simple... Energon kinda sucks.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Gzstg

Gzstg Well-Known Member

I am fairly certain that there were only two Japanese versions of UT Optimus. one for Micron Legend/Super Link as they are in the same universe and one for Cybertron/Galaxy Force which was initially its own continuity in japan until Takara agreed to Hasbro plan, which from what I heard Cybertron/Galaxy Force was always supposed to be connected to the previous two series but Takara did not want to do it for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper And awaaaaaay we go!

Starscream looked different and it was 10 years of keeping decepticons away

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    I'm not sure it was Takara but the animation studio they went to.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    My understanding is that in the Japanese version, the intent was that no one would be able to recognize Nightscream (his Japanese name in Superlink) as being a revived Starscream due to the new name, different look, and different voice.

And Energon didn’t carry over the voice or name changes, so an inconsistency was born.

• Like Like x 3