Why did Tarantulas hate the Vok so much?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Proud Nintendo, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Proud Nintendo

Proud Nintendo Well-Known Member

One thing the show never answers is why does Tarantulas hate the Vok so much. Expanded material would establish him as "the spawn of Unicron" even though that clearly wasn't the intent when Bob Forward wrote "Unicron's spawn." line. But I always felt the conclusion to the Tarantulas/Vok arc was a little rushed. (Not to mention, Tarantulas has been blown up before, why was that one fatal?)

• Like Like x 2
  2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Tarantulas has schemes throughout the whole show, and the Vok's own machinations could have caused a lot of trouble for him. Simple enough.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Proud Nintendo

Proud Nintendo Well-Known Member

But there seemed to be an implied deeper reason.
    Especially since he wanted to destroy Maximals and Predacons.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I agree, that's the impression that I got as well. But I don't know the answer to your question though. Why he hated them more than the other Predacons remains a mystery.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    I always figured Earth was just one of many planets where the Vok had experiments running. Tarantulas may have had an encounter with them on a different world in the past. Their experiments were designed to attract and test (and potentially reward) intelligent life, so as a member of the Predacon Secret Police, it would have been seen as a potential resource to capitalise on.

Tarantulas' meddling on said world caused the Vok to do what the Vok do and sterilise the planet and start over, thus why Tarantulas calls them arrogant.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Pretty much.

Tarantulas hates everybody, the aliens were just the biggest thorn in his side since they attempted to destroy Earth and thus ruin his plans. Not hard to hate them after that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Not exactly... Tarantulas clearly knows more about the Vok than any other character but it's never explained HOW he knows about them when they're a total mystery to everyone else on the show.

Tarantulas also mentions that him and the members of the Tripredacus council aren't descended from the Autobots or Decepticons like the other Maximals and Predacons are.

I always got the impression that these two things were connected some how. I mean we see that the Vok can make their own Transformers with Tigerhawk. Maybe Tarantulas was created by them and that's why he knew so much about them. Maybe that's why his origins were so different than everyone else because if he came from the Vok some how whatever changes to the Autobot/Decepticon war that never encountered the Vok before would not effect his origins.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

There's also the intend from one of the writers (forgot which one) that the Vok were related to the Swarm, while Tarantulas was descendent from the Jhiaxus G2 Empire. The swarm originated as a byproduct from the creation of the G2 Transformers and it destroyed several G2 Transformers before it was transformed by the Matrix.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. KuroKage2001

KuroKage2001 Gib Tigerhawk combiner

“There ain’t enough room for two sociopathic mad scientists who like to experiment on sentient creatures.”

- Tarantulas, sometime after dinosaurs but before proper humans.

• Like Like x 4
  10. DracoPrimal

DracoPrimal Maxicon

Vok:
    1. apparently into attracting intelligent species and testing them
    2. Powerful enough to will matter-manipulation to happen, maintain normal sparks outside a body (debatable based on depictions seen)
    3. Their "experiment" involves the life blood of all Primus-born, intentional or not this means they are helping to spread it through the universe
    4. "Arrogant" enough to consider themselves guardians of the time stream and beyond reproach from "lesser beings" no matter who they serve

Tarantulas:
    1. "Unicron's spawn" ergo serving his purposes (chaos, destruction, defeat of his brother and his influence in the universe) and could be source of his knowledge on them
    2. Limited in his ability to control (or even manipulate) the Vok
    3. Power wise no "better" than a common maximal, hence all the experiments and subterfuge
    4. I could be off with this, but if the Vok are descended from the Swarm, but present in the Beast wars millions of years before Optimus Prime had to deal with the Swarm, it reinforces the idea they dont just guard time but travel throughout it as needed, thus (again) being an afront / seemingly eternal thorn in the side of Unicron

These things do not accomodate each other. With TR being the lesser being, he would easily hate them the way peasants would hate dragons... Similarly, the Vok would be like, "Who's Aunt Eulas? Oh wait, don't care, time stuff to do."

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

The device was specifically designed to destroy the Vok, wasn't it? I assumed it ended up destroying both the Vok and Tarantulas's spark. The explosion just happened as a result.

12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

The first time Tarantulas was "blown up" he kind of possessed Blackarachnia and forced her to repair his body. Also he wasn't actually blown up, more like crushed so he was still alive just badly damaged.

There's also the fact that he was hit with the Transmetal wave then and the change from one form to another probably helped keep him from being killed.

The later explosion that killed him blew his body completely apart. It didn't crush his body keeping all the parts together and there was no cosmic event happening to upgrade his form again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember seeing something about this years ago when one of the writers was doing an interview.

It'd be funny if there was also a vested personal disdain toward the vok from Tarantulas because of all the flak he had to take as a Predacon Secret Police Rookie. I imagine getting stuck with cleanup duty on nonexistent labs that got blown up by the vok would get tedious. Or the paperwork for missing moons that got sanitized by the vok. Like rentacoping at an amusement park for demigods' entitled teenaged stepkids.

14. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Man who wouldn't hate the Vok, creepy floating ghost-head weirdos with schemes.

• Like Like x 2
  15. KuroKage2001

KuroKage2001 Gib Tigerhawk combiner

This. I don’t care what the creators wanted, the Vok are reprehensible freaks.

16. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

Yeah, they don't do much to endear themselves to anyone, Tarantulas or otherwise.
    Two of a trade never agree.

• Like Like x 1