Why did people hate deluxe Generations Trailbreaker?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Henners, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Put it on an IDW display then...

I don't get why they need to comment on it not being G1 in the first place.

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ah, cheers for that. So it's all Whirls fault eh?

Edit
    I think we all know that the realreason Hasbro change the names is loss of trademarks but I'd like to know how they try in explain it 'in story'.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  3. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Then you don't get what Classics are to a lot of people. They're updated G1 and that's what they want.

Is he G1 enough for me? Eh, could be better but it's not the worst example we have by far. And any issue I have with the mold isn't due to that.

Still, if you don't get the complaint then you've got a lot to learn about the fandom.

4. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    I get the complaint alright. I think it's silly about this design and figure.

I thought that because it's IDW and IDW's design that people would accept that it's 'IDW'. It goes with Orion, Megatron, Bumblebee..... YOU KNOW IDW Just because it's the CHUG line doesn't mean anything.

Where's the up roar about the CHUG IDW Bumblebee? He don't look like no hatchback!

Why can people accept FOC Prime as 'FOC' and yet they can't accept IDW Trailbreaker as 'IDW'

Do you understand my complaint about the complaint?

Or I'm just still wrong, yep probably wrong...

5. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    i think it's a pretty fun figure

[​IMG]

6. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

This man understands.:thumbs2: 

eh? He just said he does. I even bolded it for ya;) 

Also, what if you don't have an IDW display?...

When I saw Gen Trailblazer I was so happy to finally get the character and thought I could add one more to my S1 shelf. Got it home and was utterly disappointed by the size and design. It wasn't the Trailbreaker I knew.
    Gave it to a friend's son.

This was before I started reading IDW. Still it's an OK figure but I don't have an IDW shelf.

7. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Well, Bumblebee has gotten a G1-in-spirit update, in the original Classics lineup, and the numerous repaints thereof. It would be silly to complain about IDW Bee because there have been plenty of opportunities to get a more traditionally-styled Bee. The same is true of Optimus Prime and Megatron.

But IDW is being touted as "G1", so any long awaited non-top-tier G1 character that gets done in IDW style rather than more geewunny style in Hasbro's collective mind have been checked off the list. So we're not going to get a traditionally-styled Trailbreaker or Springer or Skids any time soon. It's these or nothing.

Trailbreaker and co. aren't big money characters, so Hasbro doesn't remake them all the time. So if you're a more traditionally-minded fan, these guys are pretty much a bait & switch. We got a "G1" Trailbreaker that looks almost nothing like the character we grew up with. A Springer that looks like a marathon runner rather than a linebacker. And a Skids who is similarly off the mark for a classic G1 fan.

I'd have no problem with these guys if Hasbro and IDW didn't insist that the IDW continuity is G1. (And my problems with that stance are enormous and off topic for this thread. Suffice it to say my opinion is "H*ll no!) But since its "G1", any 2nd or lower tier character that gets an IDW version isn't going to get a G1 version in the near future.

And that is a huge disappointment for any Classic G1 CHUG collector.

8. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I don't understand how Trailcutter isn't "G1". Explain to me how he's any less an updated version of the G1 character than any of the other Classics, please. The only difference is that he's based on an actual design.

A G1 Trailbreaker update would be a modern four-wheel truck with a weird generator thing above his head and a hood chest. What you got was a modern four-wheel truck with a weird generator thing above his head and a hood chest. I don't see a problem.

9. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Well-Known Member

Best reason I can think of to claim that Trailbreaker is not G1 is that he's not literally the G1 figure design made over with modern engineering.

Classics Starscream, for example, is literally his G1 design without the hindrances of 1980s toy technology. Trailbreaker's design was updated for the comics, and so he is no longer "G1" enough for some collectors.

I'm just guessing here, of course.

10. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Funny this thread resurfaced....I just bought Trail & Hoist a few days ago; just waiting for them to arrive.

I plan to Reprolabel them both, as well as Upgrade Kit them. Is that a good idea?

11. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    But that argument makes no sense. The G1 Grimlock didn't have his T-rex head for feet, Optimus Prime's cannon's weren't his smokestacks and he certainly didn't have a fake robot-mode grill, Sunstreaker was an entirely different mold to Sideswipe.

I seriously think some people just get offended at the notion of a toy like Trailcutter serving double-duty as an IDW and a Classics toy. That is the only reason I can think of.

Besides, it's ironic for anyone to talk about a bait-and-switch with Trailcuttter when that Leader Megatron exists...

12. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I think he's pretty cool. Could be a little bigger, but still a fun figure.

13. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    He's a little grumpy bag of fun is what he is!

He's an awesome little figure, a tad small, and with some hollowness, but that's par for the course on modern deluxes. I'm glad I got him and I'd like to get Hoist, even though I hardly ever get two versions of the same mould, I need to get them since they're bunkmates.

14. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Well-Known Member

As explanations go, it's far from perfect. I'll freely admit that.

And as little sense as the argument makes, the complaints of some parts of this fandom make even less.

15. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    I'm interested to know what people making the complaint say about things like Brainstorm? An IDW design with his G1 toy gimmick, even though he's not a Headmaster in the comics.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Trailcutter is awesome. That is all for now.

Yup. Just like the great war. Though Trailbreaker came up with the cut part himself. "Like when you cut something?"

Well yeah, truthfully "Trailbreaker' is unavailable. So they decided making a story out of it was better than just an inexplicable change, so the name change was part of Trailbreaker's "self-reinvention." It's just great, including wonderful life advice from Whirl.

"You people with mouths, you're so transparent."

"Trailcutter's looking for a new weapon - Preferably something so powerful you'll need to take a week off after firing it."

"Whirl's Life Lesson Number 1: The ruder you are, the more people will respect you. Why d'you think everyone listens to Ultra Magnus?... I hate him. But I kinda think he's amazing too. I get confused feelings."

17. Henners

Henners Sonicron

Ebay:
    Maybe I'm just easy to please but I'm excited for him

18. KFGatri

Ebay:
    He's explicitly the IDW version rather than the G1. If the two were more similar, I'd be happier with it (and Trails is the one I'm most ok with, actually). But the key element in his G1 design wasn't the forcefield generation in my mind - it was his beergut, and that element is absent from Trailcutter. Trailbreaker didn't have a hood chest - it was a hood tummy. His windshield was his chest!

So to me he only vaguely resembles Trailbreaker. I actually had the same problem with some earlier figures - Onslaught bore almost no resemblance in my eyes to the original toy or animation model, for example. The IDW figures have that issue, plus association with a branch of the fiction I despise (at least as a new version of G1 - it would be fine as its own continuity.)

But even without the IDW association, its a mediocre Trailbreaker at best. Like I said before, the Legends toy captures the character much better.

So not only are these designs lacking the classic iconic elements for me - Trailbreaker's gut, Springer's powerful build, etc. - but they're designed to resemble versions I don't care about, from fiction I hate.

If the CHUG G1 updates started borrowing designs for characters you'd wanted for years from your least favorite TF franchise, would you be able to accept the designs as "close enough"? Especially if those designs lacked what you considered the key elements of the characters' looks, as I feel about the IDW stuff?

IDW has as much of a place in Generations as any other incarnation. I just don't feel its place is as "G1".

19. KFGatri

Ebay:
    Looks fine to me - like a straight streamlining of the G1 design. Its not like Skinny Springer or that weird Hot Rod.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    How is it being easily pleased when he's pretty much perfect? I'm right there with ya!

That's a really weird distinction.

So is Universe Sunstreaker not G1 for lacking feet made from the vehicle's front end? Is Classics Bumblebee not G1 for not ahving the entire top of the alt mode for the chest? Is universe Prowl not G1 for the missing sides of the vehicle front and faux-lights?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.