Why did critics like Godzilla vs Kong while bashing Bayformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by LegionofMordor, Apr 6, 2021.

1. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    Like me
    The cybertronian characters were barely fleshed out, specially the title character despite his screen time, the narrative is still very much done with humans on the spotlight, even if these humans are decent, they should not overshadow the TFs themselves

• Like Like x 1
  2. DinobotPrime

DinobotPrime Well-Known Member

I’ve always liked Zilla’s design, just not for Godzilla. The animated series really solidified this idea in my head that the design is actually really cool, and I would be fine with Zilla showing up in the next wave of the Monsterverse, maybe he’s mutated by Godzilla’s radiation, and that’s why he looks like him

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mglaighton120

Mglaighton120 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Bumblebee doesn’t overshadow the TFs at all? Bumblebee and Charlie both have a decent, equal amount of screentime, and his character is clearly developed. We’re likely never gonna have a transformers movies with mostly transformers for the runtime, bc of budgetary reasons. Bumblebee is probably as good as we’re gonna get.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    See, I find this absurd because it acts like the transformers can only be characters when in robot mode.

They can talk in alt. Mode, they can use holo matter avatars. The options for having the characters around without needing the CGI robots exist.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So I agree with you, but I'd say the Bumblebee movie did this very thing. He can't talk in the movie for most of it so obviously we didn't get to see him talk in car mode, but we did get to see Bumblebee interact through car mode quite a few times like when he waved at Charlie when she was chasing after him, when Bee played "The Touch" and opened his door to edge Charlie to jump in the water, and when he semi-transformed to escape from the police officer. I do hope we continue to see interactions like this in future films.

• Like Like x 3
  6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's one thing I give you credit...you at least BOTHER to read a fellow's post. Kudos to ya.

Tbh I do like Zilla's aesthetics and I like the animated show...I wished we had toys from that show. The bad thing about Zilla is that most folks recall it via the movie.

7. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
    Yeah kind of
    I completely disagree, he is just amnesiac and mute for most of the movie, not aware of what's going on until the very end, barely fleshed out thanks to this plot point and no development either, he just hit his head hard and then remembered everything at the end
    If that's true then i lose all hope

• Like Like x 2
  8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I did like how the movie played with the transformation aspect and acknowledged that Bee simply turns into a replica of a Bug, but not a perfect one (since his head is, amusingly, exposed on the bottom like how some of the toys do it).

However, I'm willing to write off a lot from the Bumblebee movie because it is an aborted prequel for what has become now an unrelated incarnation that is the bayverse, which was the mandate for why Bumblebee had to lose his voice. Now that they're trying to move away from the bayverse aside from Studio Series, making Bumblebee talk would go a long way in furthering that distance.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Mglaighton120

Mglaighton120 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The Bumblebee movie very clearly has a theme of finding out who you are. Both Charlie and Bee are developed with this theme throughout the film. Just because he’s mute doesn’t mean he can’t have development. Bee spends the movie finding out who he is after he loses his memory/voice, and Charlie finds herself when she learns to move on from her dads passing.

Both characters help each other find themselves, they are two halves on the protagonist. I thought that was pretty obvious at least

• Like Like x 5
  10. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

Maybe with Lorenzo finally out of the picture, we can see stuff like this finally get worked into movie scripts. Here's hoping.

I also want more scenes of Transformers communicating long distance in alt mode, like that scene where Starscream rallies the troops in TF2007. It's so simple, but it works great and...never utilized again(that I can remember).

11. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

I think it’s very simple.

Adam Wingard loves the GvK source material, and you see that on screen.

I never got the impression Bay particularly even LIKED Transformers.

Compare and contrast that with Bumblebee - Travis Knight loved the source material, and his movie, IMO, is the best of the live action films because of it.

• Like Like x 7
  12. BairdimusPrime

BairdimusPrime youtube.com/billythekidsnobullshittoyreviews

News Credits:

THIS!!!! 100%

13. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
    It limits but doesn't make it impossible
    Do you know what really damages it though ? amnesia
    I mean just compare what BB has with what Charlie has
    Charlie: Lost her father some time ago and has to overcome this trauma to move on
    BB: Hit his head hard in an accident and doesn't know what's going on until his memories come back at the end
    If he had no amnesia then maybe we would actually dive in who he is, define his personality as an Autobot warrior stranded with an important mission rather than a lost puppy, with the way it happened it's like we spent most of the movie with a different character until the character we were supposed to learn about comes back at the end, there is a way to make decent to good arcs involving memories, which have to do with subconciously blocking stuff due to trauma(which means it's a decision the character made at some level, rather than it being an accident or something forced on them)and that can also lead to giving the character nuance, but the Bumblebee movie does nothing of the sort and as such it is the bad example, it's forced and lackluster

• Like Like x 2
  14. cybeast

cybeast Freelancer Pun Maker

News Credits:
    And that's also a fun nod to the toys, where most Car Transformers have their face looking at the dirt bottom :p 

• Like Like x 3
  15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Bumblebee lost his memories, not his personality. Arguably the Bumblebee we saw was the purest form of his personality, and we get plenty of examples of his character even without his memories. He's still a fun-loving, empathetic person despite his amnesia, which was purely a mechanic used to remove himself from his mission. He didn't act any different after getting his memories back, save for his red-eyed Iron-Giant-goes-bad-moment which didn't make sense even knowing what his previous personality was.

• Like Like x 6
  16. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
    Those two are almost the same far as im concerned
    Then i guess i just find this version of Bumblebee boring
    Missed opportunity to have his mission create some conflict in the character
    He was certainly less like a lost puppy

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Then you are mistaken, because they are not. He lost his memories due to an injury, it wasn't as if his life was erased. He even still reacted to seeing Charlie with (what he believed to be) a weapon because that experience was still part of him, he simply could not recall information.

That's cool, just don't make up reasons to justify it.

Why would it? Why would defending Earth be a point of contention for him?

Why would he be? By that point in the film he was no longer acting like a lost puppy anyway, and circumstances demanded he act immediately. He even still wanted to stay with Charlie at the end until she convinced him that it was best they part ways.

• Like Like x 3
  18. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
    Temporarily it was
    but i didn't make up anything
    Maybe it takes pressure on him, maybe he gets worried about getting Charlie involved, these are just a few of possible ideas
    Which is my point, he started acting different upon getting his memories back

19. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Doug

20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    But it wasn't, and I even gave you an example as to why. The only thing his lost memories did was facilitate why he was staying with Charlie as opposed to continuing his mission. He still had plenty of personality.

You did, you equated amnesia with being a different person. (not that Bumblebee even had actual amnesia, his memory core was damaged, which is a bit of an oversimplification compared to actual amnesia)

Why would it put pressure on someone who's been fighting for as long as he has? (pressure enough to make him question his convictions, that is) Also how would Charlie get involved if he hadn't lost his memories? He would've simply left rather than get her involved at all.

But he didn't. He had dropped the lost puppy bit around abouts when they egged the house. Of course his motivations changed, because at that point he remembered his mission and what he had to do, but his personality was no different. He even believed, or at least hoped, he could stay with Charlie even after remembering his mission.

• Like Like x 4