Why did critics like Godzilla vs Kong while bashing Bayformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by LegionofMordor, Apr 6, 2021.

1. cybeast

cybeast Freelancer Pun Maker

News Credits:
    Same, I don't see anyone butting head until this thread exist, to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Smokie

Smokie Banned

News Credits:
    Big monkey fights big dinosaur = good
    Big truck fights big space ship = bad

• Like Like x 1
  3. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It does in a sense of how crazy he had become. In his mind, "many" doesn't mean numerical amount. "Many" is used in terms of "better than." He saw humans as inferior, or "the few."

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

Or Sentinel could just not consider humans to be sentient beings and is only counting Cybertronians. As a result, the needs of Cybertronian civilization outweighs the needs of Optimus and his small band of followers.

• Like Like x 4
  5. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Just watched Godzilla vs. Kong.

Security at Apex Cybernetics is zero. Anyone can get in without any effort. Yeesh.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    That was one of those things were I saw and thought "Uh, hang on. There should be like, a dozen or so layers of things stopping them doing that. Like I know its an evil base, but evil bases still have access control"

7. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

At least KSI had better security! Score one for the bay films!

8. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Well-Known Member

I think it's basically an insistence on looking at the big picture - it made $1.1 billion worldwide, so it must be a success. When you look at the big picture, however, you miss the details. And the details are the important thing.

Yes, it made $1.1 billion - about a third of which came from a single market. In most markets, compared to its predecessors, AOE underperformed quite significantly - domestically, it was beaten by Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

In most of the international markets, AOE was up against How To Train Your Dragon 2 and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - you'd have expected AOE to beat them easily, since Transformers is a franchise that can basically print money on name value alone.

However, not only did both those films do as well as AOE, but in some markets, particularly in most of Europe, (e.g. the UK, France and Spain), they actually did better than AOE. For example, in the UK, the box office for AOE was £33.1 million (by comparison, the first film made £48.6 million and DOTM). Conversely, the UK box office for HTTYD 2 was £41.5 million and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes made £55.2 MILLION.

And there isn't a single factor that can explain this, other than audiences were sick of the Bay style.

No Shia or Fox? Mark Whalberg, Kelsey Grammer and Stanley Tucci aren't exactly obscure actors - everyone who grew up watching The Simpsons knows who Kelsey Grammer is and Whalberg had been gaining a significant degree of popularity, what with Ted and The Other Guys.

And perhaps more to the point, the popularity of the franchise should have overruled the change in leads. Was there any negative effect on the box office of Jurassic World simply because Sam Neill, Jeff Goldblum and Laura Dern weren't in it? No.

Yes, most of the major Autobots and all the major Decepticons were dead - however, the two most popular Autobots (Optimus and Bumblebee) were still there and we had the Dinobots, who had, with TF: Animated and Fall Of Cybertron, been enjoying a massive popularity increase (particularly Grimlock), thrown in the mix.

True, it's closer to a best-case scenario than a worst - but when you look at the details, it's the furthest thing from an optimum scenario. It left the franchise in much more of a precarious state than it might have outwardly seemed.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. DinobotPrime

DinobotPrime Well-Known Member

Ok so I’m a huge fan of Godzilla/Kong and Transformers. I love the monsterverse and the Bayverse(probably more than I should). I loved GvK, it’s the movie I’ve been waiting for my whole life, some of my earliest memories are watching the OG King Kong vs Godzilla and loving every second of it. I agree that GvK doesn’t have the greatest plot, but it knows that, and leans into it. I think both TF and GvK are visual masterpieces, and the original TF soundtrack is one of my favorites, but they are definitely not storytelling masterpieces. I agree with you that KotM is great, I really enjoyed it. However, I think you might need to rewatch it. It is much more an MCU movie than Godzilla 2014, with lots of quips that wouldn’t be out of place in a MCU movie. I don’t think they dislike KotM cause it was too long, more that it was bloated. It’s only like 20 minutes longer than GvK but feels longer than that. Had it been maybe 10 minutes shorter with some fat trimmed out it would have been received better. Also the short runtime thing isn’t always true, I mean Zack Snyder’s JL cut was twice as long as Josstice league and was received much better by fans and critics. I love popcorn flicks, and that’s what Michael Bay makes. When you admit that your movies are mostly for teenage boys, you probably aren’t making Casablanca. I’m fine if these movies feel like Saturday morning cartoons, because those can be light hearted and also engaging and emotional. I hope that the Godzilla fandom and TF fandom don’t hate each other cause I genuinely love both franchises, for all their faults. I mean if people think GvK is dumb and nonsensical then you might want to give Godzilla’s Revenge(Son of Godzilla) a watch

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

One thing GvK does better is both monsters are characters and the focus on their own movie. Unlike the TF movies where the robots are treated like props.

• Like Like x 5
  11. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I mean, I was pretty disappointed by how little characterization Godzilla had in this one. Kong yes, but Godzilla not so much.

• Like Like x 3
  12. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

Yeah, it really was Kong's movie. I imagine Godzilla was probably less utilized because he already had 2 movies to himself already. Even if he does get top billing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. cybeast

News Credits:
    Zilla doesn't get as much development because contract with Toho for Zilla is ending (iirc), that's why they push Kong to be the "hero", because any Monsterverse from now on, for at least some years, will feature no Godzilla.

Dunno about Mothra and other Kaijuu though.

14. Xyloto

Xyloto Member

yes, the contract between TOHO and Legendary is going to expire, but contracts can always be renewed. I do have hope that TOHO will continue to have Godzilla and their other properties to be used in America, since GvK is doing very well at the box office under current circumstances.

15. DinobotPrime

I read that Toho told the director that Godzilla was not allowed to emote, because they see him as a emotionless, neutral god. I feel with that in mind I feel the movie gets around that quite well

16. DaveTheCave

DaveTheCave Well-Known Member

Godzilla Vs Kong is under two hours and the action scenes aren't just chaos that hurts your eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Yeah, this is something that bugged me. I'm actually a bigger Godzilla fan than a Kong fan, but I was rooting for Kong the whole time. I get that they were trying to make Kong the protagonist and Godzilla the antagonist, but to me a great 'versus movie' should make you sympathetic towards both sides, and let the individual audience members decide who is the hero and who is the villain. Hence why I think Captain America Civil War is still one of the best versus movies...there was no real "good guy" or "bad guy", the movie did a good job establishing two conflicting ideologies and letting the audience choose which one they wanted to root for.

I enjoyed Godzilla vs Kong overall, but I do think the one-sided nature of it was a weak point.

18. cybeast

News Credits:
    Technically he did emote in GvK. He was smirking when he hit Kong on the back, and was furious after Kong managed to sucker punch him once.

19. DinobotPrime

Yeah Michael Dougherty said that the loop hole was to only give him like 2 emotions, anger and confidence I guess, while Kong shows a much wider range

20. AleximusPrimus

AleximusPrimus Well-Known Member

After seeing GvK like 3 or 4 times i can say its literally like a bayverse movie , im not joking lol.
    Or that's at least my opinion but It's really a bayverse type movie , useless human action , a lot of stuff that dont make sense and simply the big and amazing action.