Why can't Paramount say outright this is a reboot???

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Diego g

Diego g Well-Known Member

I do not want the reboot now. Because if I would like it but at least the bayformers end. I left with the doubt that happened. Also all my friends, relatives among many people that I know. Please if it is a reboot I only ask one thing to finish bayformers I grew up with that.

2. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    You mean a sequel to TLK? Sadly it's off the table for the moment. I usually keep in touch with the Paramount side as much as I can. But from what I heard, they are not considering a TLK sequel at least for the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 4
  3. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Have you heard anything recent regarding the Cybertron prequel? Is that still happening, or was it cancelled?

4. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Didn't hear anything about it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Ah, okay. When I first heard about it I was kind of ambivalent about the idea, but after seeing the Cybertron designs in Bumblebee trailer I'm really hoping it gets made.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think that's gonna happen. If this movie dumbs I could see Paramount halting all TF films, like with TMNT.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Artistodave

Artistodave Well-Known Member

YouTube:
    Maybe they had the Optimus concept in case they wanted to go the G1 route, and had different designs like the upcoming leader Prime, which is essentially evasion Optimus.
    I'd say they did something like with MCU's Spider-Man. Where they prepared several designs from different iterations from the comics and deviations from the original, and ultimately went classic with some modern tweaks.

8. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    There's also the possibility of the G1 scene to be only a fanservice. The movie is set in 1983(?) and people were asking for these designs for quite some time. What better opportunity to use them than that? The scene is very much separate from the rest of the movie so it's easy to slip a different animation style there. Such ideas were used before like in HP Deathly Hallows where the history of the elder wand was told with animation.

Plus including both styles: a tuned up G1 and Bayformers with simplified design will allow Hasbro to judge after the movie the audience's response to each design. The next movie won't be sooner than 2 years from now, anyway.

Although, I think that Bumblebee will be a standalone, a final hurrah for the Bay series. It's purpose is to once again endear the audience to Transformers movies that's why they went with the Iron Giant vibe and G1 references. The next movie will probably be a reboot connected to the Hasbro Cinematic Universe that starts in 2019 or 2020. I think that both M.A.S.K. and G.I. Joe movies already have a director attached.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shackstoys

Shackstoys Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Hoover dam?

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where they hid Megatron and the Allspark aka the entire plot of the first movie in 2007.

11. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    they wont call it a reboot just yet.

12. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    I was pleasantly shocked when I saw the trailer and I could actually tell the bots apart. The previous movies looked like 2 CGI junk yards fighting each other.

I may actually watch this one, especially if they avoid all the stupid Whitwicky family idiocy.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TheCianinator

TheCianinator Well-Known Member

Yeah, this movie was definitely originally intended to be just a prequel, but when TLK made Paramount realize that people were losing interest in the direction the movies had been going in, I think they hastily concocted a plan to make Bumblebee into a potential reboot. But only a potential reboot. Like, if this movie does well, they can say "Yeah, it was totally a reboot! Now we can do sequels without regard to the other 5 movies!" But if it were to fail, they could say "Naw, that was just a prequel. That continuity is over now, the next movie is going to be a real reboot, starting from square one." But if they were to just outright say Bumblebee is a reboot, then have it fail, then have to reboot that reboot again, that would make them look like they don't know what they're doing. And their shareholders wouldn't like that.

So as it is, it's set up to be a potential fork in the timeline. Kinda like the plot of Star Trek 2009, but they're not going to acknowledge the old continuity if things do end up changing. This movie still functions as a prequel to the Bayverse, but it can also simultaneously have another timeline fork off of it where everything's different. It's a prequel, a soft reboot, and it's ready to be a hard reboot if it can. I call it a preboot. I've said all that before, but I think it bears repeating.

• Like Like x 7
  14. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros Rhinocerotoidea Trendsettius

Why does it matter what the studio says it is? If it plays like a reboot when you see it, then feel free to consider it such.

15. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    And if the movie does well, I still don't see a sequel to TLK happening. A good box office for the Bee movie would mean people want to see a contained well-written story and faithful designs, which the sequel for TLK won't have. It's a lose-lose situation for the sequel for TLK either way.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Yeah I really wish they hadn’t ended The Last Knight so open-ended. A sixth movie could be REALLY cool if they did it right, I’d love it if they were able to get one more in and properly conclude this series.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Galvatross

Galvatross Make TFW2005 Shrektastic Again! Veteran

I agree. Personally, I wish TLK was more of a sequel to AoE with Creators and Galvatron and less the start of a Cinematic Universe with Unicron and Witwiccans and what not, but since they went the direction they did, I would want at least some closure to the series in some way or another.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    My take on this whole situation is that obviously it was greenlit as a prequel, but the failure of TLK gave Travis Knight more freedom to do his own thing with it, and as the production continued, he found he could push further and further away from what Bay had established. An example of this would be the door wings on Bumblebeee. Early on, they felt they had to include those to stay consistent, but somewhere along the line the were emboldened to do their own thing, culminating in the G1 Cybertron designs.

Hasbro aren't bothered if the character design aesthetic shifts, different design look means fresh toys. Of course if the production was greenlit and given the money to create this as a prequel, they're in an awkward position with the people who agreed to that if they actually come out and announce that that isn't what they've done.

I think when they actually reboot the franchise, they need to go full on and wipe the slate clean, but also get it right first time and build a solid foundation. If the public gets the impression that Paramount/Hasbro just half-heartedly reboot every few years, they will become less invested in checking out any future reboot.

• Like Like x 3
  19. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee has been getting praised already and apparently it's a reboot

20. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    not confirmed

• Like Like x 1