Why can so many people simply not say a simple 'hello'?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hand Of Omega, Jan 7, 2010.

1. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

If I know you or at least see you frequently a "hello" is appropriate. Otherwise you're some strange person I don't know talking to me for some reason I can't fathom, and probably want something. I usually wear sunglasses anyway so I can just pretend I didn't notice you.

People who ask "how are you" I tend to ignore. If they press they get a brutally honest answer usually ending with "and also this person I don't know is insistent about hearing my personal business."

It's not that I'm a rude person. I'll hold a door for someone before I'd let it slam in their face, I help people who have car trouble, but a stranger approaching me out of the blue just reeks of having an ulterior motive.

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Basically, this...

...and this. If somebody is trying to talk to you, the odds are pretty decent that they want something from you. They want some money, they want a signature, they want help to commit some sort of felony, or hell maybe they want all three. But what I want most of all is not to be tricked by some sort of false friendship type thing where I am only treated like a human because somebody needs something from me.

And on the second point, if you are the one who is nice to somebody else you run a risk of having your good deed shit on and being annoyed for no good reason for the rest of the day. I like how the poster I quoted specifically mentions women, because they are the worst offenders of this act. If you hold a door for somebody (I always do this, regardless of where I am, how I am feeling, or who is behind me) it tends to be women who are the most rude. Now what I expect from a door hold is at least a positive acknowledgment whether it be a slight nod, eye contact, or a verbal "thanks" (unless the person is already involved in a conversation with another person). Ive noticed that a disproportionally large number of women either will not acknowledge you at all, or even worse will give you a negative reaction to a kind gesture (as described above). However on the positive side of that, it is usually the women who give an audible "thanks" which I appreciate the most, while guys mostly quietly give the nod.

Its pretty hard to be a "nice" person. Most people are doing things like listening to music as they stroll about or wearing sunglasses, or playing with their cell phones. It is very awkward to approach them or even acknowledge them when you're not even sure if you can get their attention.

3. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

i am with yall two

once a kinda old man and his wife said good day to one of my companions and he didnt even respond so I slaped him in the back of the head hopefully that will teach him some manners

4. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    You shouldn't expect anything in return, otherwise you're setting up an obligation in your own mind that the other person probably won't meet and that's not really fair to them. Just be nice.

I practice this myself, and most of the time do get the satisfaction of seeing someone else have an easier time because of me. Most of the time I don't get thanks, but I'm fine with that, I can see that most people are grateful even if they don't convey it to me in some way.

But I will admit it is nice that in my small town everybody waves to everybody, everybody says 'hi' at least, even if you don't know them.

--Moony

5. Travicon

Travicon Nerdbot

People are rude! I ALWAYS hold doors open, it doesnt matter who you are, I will hold that f***ing door open for you. I even wait around for a sec if someone is close behind. Especially if its someone with a stroller. However, just today my wife, kid, and myself were going into a store, and lets just say, did not get the same type of treatment. Althought I didnt really care but I am guilty of looking at my wife, smiling and saying "kids these days" and she was like "thats what I was thinking!" then we laughed, felt old and got on with our lives. So like I said I didnt really care as people usually will hold the door for a family with a stroller. But definitly not when im alone.

Hey funny story. I was at the movies recently and on my way out I held the door for like 6 People in a row (I felt like a door man with out the hat) but at the end of the line there was a friend I hadnt seen in like 5 years! So that was cool.

6. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Some great stories/comments. Thanks guys. I especially love this one, it had me ROTFLMAO:

I do this too when I am with people that are unresponsive:

7. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Maybe because people don't care about everyone. I don't greet people I have nothing or not much to do with either.

8. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Meh. I just tell people to "fuck off" when I pass them.

9. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

I greet anyone who greets me because after a decade of retail, I can pretend to be happy and interested to anyone about anything instantly.

10. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Several people said they think it could be a small town thing, I believe that's true and a regional thing as well..in my area folks will wave to ya as you drive by their homes and speak to you in shops, in lines, etc. Most men here will hold a door open for a woman and I make a point of always saying Thank you and I make eye contact when I say it.. also as pass by others in a store or mall, I'll smile and just say hello. No one's been a jerk to me --EVER!! :D 

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

The "How's the weather" greeting is OLD. Wish people would open convo's with something else, like movies or wur deh hookers at?

12. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Same thing as the person from TN said. Here in ALA people wave at you when you are driving but its mostly the older folks that do so, meaning my age and above. The younger folks just give you the finger around here. For me, I hold the door open for older folks or a woman with a baby as well cause its just being nice is all which doesn't hurt anyone. I've had the same thing done for me as well in the door held open when I am walking into a store.

13. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The same thing happened to me with people in my apartment building. After a while I stopped saying hello shortly after they started saying hello to me.

14. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL

15. TRANSJAZZ

TRANSJAZZ Fighting Cancer RIP 10/31/16 Veteran

News Credits:
    Hello,

I found it funny that even though Chaos Muffin mentioned you did not say hello. No one said hello in here.

Have a wonderful day!

TJ

16. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

OP, you should live for a year in China. People will say "hello" and "ni hao" to you until you're sick of it.

17. on_a_warpath

on_a_warpath OAW 2010

I hold doors for everybody in my class, everyone of them says thank you. I also say hello to folks that I meet, they say hello back.

18. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Huh. I guess people who live near me are unusually friendly. Everytime I go out for a walk, anyone who sees me says something like "Hello", or "How are you doing?" and I naturally reply with the appropriate response. If someone waves, I wave back.

Man: Hello, how are you doing?

Me: I'm doing good. You?

Man: Doing good.

That was a conversation I had with a man while I was walking. We didn't know eachother, but we were friendly to eachother either way.

19. Triple Melter

Triple Melter EGG GANG™

I don't talk to people I don't know unless I have a reason to. I don't pay attention to other people anyway. Don't take it personally.

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    The only one that really bugs me these days are folks that push or shove their way around you in stores, in and out of doors, etc. and don't have the courtesy to say "Excuse me," or "I'm sorry."