Why Bumblebee needs to fail.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Aimless Misfire, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Hello!

I see that some people have called out for the mods. Here's one. :D  I went through the thread. All of it. I see no reason to close this thread. Sure, it's a sensitive subject but it is also an opinion. This thread is no different than one that would be titled as "Why Bumblebee Needs To Succeed". We welcome opinion as long as it doesn't break any rules according to our judgement. We don't rule here with iron fist of tyranny. That's Megatron's job, not ours.

Anyway, now that I'm here, I might as well leave my two cents:

Bumblebee is already a critical hit. We are actually yet to see if it's a financial hit; for the movie isn't even open worldwide until January 4th.

Even if it does fail financially, one of the few things below can happen but there might be other outcomes.

1. Since it is a critical hit, the studio might think to do another one but will stay away from busy time slots just to see if the second time is the charm.

2. Some producers may think that Bay-Style brought in more money and will try to do the next movie like TLK etc.

3. They'll stop producing Transformers movies for a while.

4. A reboot with a new storyline. Even more reboot-y than Bumblebee.

Now, the 3rd option (which some may cheer) is the most devastating one for TF fans. Executives don't think like we fans do. As Brian Goldner once said back in 2011, "Hasbro is not a toy company anymore, it's a Branded Play Company now". In this day and age it's hard to operate just as a toy company hence why Mattel is so down compared to Hasbro. They rely on brand power and by that you absolutely must have movies, TV series, apps, games based on your brands. The point I'm trying to make is that no movies means it's going to have a devastating domino effect on the brand as a whole. It's not just the movie toys that's going to go away.... it's everything. You don't have to look far to see what I'm talking about. Hasbro's G.I. Joe suffered a sad fate with a lack of proper media support. It didn't resonate with the modern audience so the fans took a hit. Don't think Transformers won't suffer the same fate. The possibility is there. However we are actually in a batter place than G.I. Joe.

If you talk with any distributor of Hasbro products, you may learn that Nerf is ahead of Transformers when it comes to toy sales. The similarities are hilariously similar to how G.I. Joe was back in 2010. I'm no market analyst.... but I couldn't help but notice.

• Like Like x 20
  2. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    All of these outcomes actually sound highly likely to happen, specifically 1, 4, 3

3. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

Sounds like we need a NERF Cinematic Universe! Here's my pitch;

Just tell them to drop me a line, I'll write it! ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Lean Mean Angry Machine

News Credits:
    Don't some of the BotBots turn into kitchen utensils? IS THIS A SIGN?!

*assembles tin foil fortress and hides in it*

This was never told to me when Transformers GO! was still a thing, but it makes a lot of sense.

It also makes a lot of sense that Arms Micron wasn't that hot a seller. Which is a bummer because Arms Micron Breakdown is fucking legit.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Temenos

Temenos No sacrifice, no victory

News Credits:
    ''I don't like something so it must fail''

Pathetic.

• Like Like x 10
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    He never says that, actually.

But they are overpowered as all fuck. They just blow through Vehicons like they're nothing, making the early fights with them where they weren't immediately obliterated farcical by comparison. And yeah, sometimes the Autobots are needlessly graphic with their kills against clearly sentient, feeling beings. Bulkhead not only disembowels the aforementioned Vehicon, but fucking beats a Starscream clone to death without it so much as putting up a fight. Arcee also decapitates one violently for no other reason than to kill it painfully, and yet this same show will try and paint the Autobots as morally pristine enough that Ratchet torturing a miner (i.e., kinda burning his faceplate a bit) is revolting because they're servant class, yet Optimus and everyone else happily mowed them down in droves before. Not to mention shooting a comatose, near-dead Megatron's life-support is okay, but killing a perfectly healthy, imminently threatening Megatron when they have the chance is a no-no. The Prime Autobots are backwards as hell.

*Literally. Also, so what if they've been plot devices before? They exist for no other reason in Prime, to the point where half the story wouldn't exist without they're shoe-horned in antics.

Ha!

You say "cool" like it's some universally agreed upon standard.

And the problem with Airachnid was that her plotline with Arcee was entirely redundant. Arcee already had a dead partner killed by a 'Con. She didn't need two. Worse, Airachnid's murder of Tailgate was retconned to having happened long before Cliffjumper, making it very odd how Arcee never once mentioned the similarity. Worse still, Airachnid was clearly her nemesis, yet Cliffjumper was the show's token Autobot sympathy card, and at times it almost felt like the show itself forgot who killed who, and who Arcee actually hated more. Why'd she need two dead partners, and why was the second never brought up before?

Not this fan's dream. More like a nightmare. I started out loving Prime, and ended up hating it. It's slow, pretentious, boring, and mind-numbingly repetitive and trite.

All these devices that served as macguffins and contributed next to nothing to the plot? And all those characters who were either one-dimensional or completely flat, or so stagnant in their supposed development they simply became irritating? There's a reason "MY PARTNERS ARE DEEAAADD" became a meme back when the show still aired.

It has everything to do with the show. the lack of budget for the "celebrity" (not a knock just not entirely accurate a term) VA's means certain characters received untimely, abrupt deaths and inconclusive resolutions to their subplots. So much for Breakdown's history with Bulkhead, or Dreadwing's doubts about the Decepticons, etc.

At least he gave reasons for hating the show besides half the crap in this thread.

Prime was an unmitigated fumbling behind the scenes, and single handedly nuked the Aligned continuity because it failed to do the one thing it existed to do, and failed to live up to the expectations it set. Nobody, and I mean almost nobody disliked Prime when it started. I've never seen such universal praise before or since for a TF show. The show became divisive over time, because it just plain sucked and blew all the good will it had earned by meandering and wasting everyone's time. That motherfucker had two clip shows. Two. Clip shows, something unheard of in modern days especially outside of anime dubs, because it was just so poorly handled by those in charge, and it showed.

For a franchise that seems so steeped in Japanese iconography, Transformers has never had much of a solid stance in Japan. It fluctuates between what it wants to be, because sentient robots just aren't as big a thing there, and when they are they're usually super robots or very kid-friendly. "Serious living robots" is practically an oxymoron over in Japan, with most mecha being about piloted machines and human drama with human stakes verses arbitrary robot limitations. I think this is why TFs seems to fall into experimental trends in Japan it doesn't in America. In fact, I honestly am surprised TFs hasn't faded away in Japan given what a cultural black sheep it is.

• Like Like x 3
  7. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    Tumblr:
    You know that Bumblebee failling means less Transformers movies or no Transformers movies at all, especially when we are getting in the right direction

• Like Like x 4
  8. Temenos

Temenos No sacrifice, no victory

News Credits:
    That's reason enough for the miserable lot.

They could just not watch them, but nah, gotta spend time complaining about stuff they don't want and haven't seen yet.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

There is a chance that the new leadership at Paramount already has a reboot planned. The only reason we got Bumblebee in theaters is because it was too far along to just stop making the movie and it cost too much to just sell it directly to Netflix.

I don't see Paramount sitting on Transformers for very long because if pop culture characters like Spider Man can be rebooted quickly then there isn't a reason that Transformers can't be rebooted quickly. Besides with nothing green lit or in production right now it was going to be a while before got another Transformers movie even if Bumblebee was burning up the box office.

Paramount is rebooting GI Joe so it's silly to think after The Last Knight and Bumblebee that Paramount is just going to throw up their hands and say we are done with Transformers. Heck if they would ax some thick headed producers they might even be able to do some sort of rebooted GI Joe vs rebooted Transformers to start mixing the Hasbro properties into some sort of crazy Hasbro-verse.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Oh, so now we're ranting about what's terribadgodawful in Transformers Prime. Can I join?

Or maybe not, SPLIT LIP and Autobot Burnout pretty much explained why the show sucked big time.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I mean, I didn’t even mention Unicron or the Insecticons or Beast Hunters. There’s plenty left to rag on. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Lean Mean Angry Machine

News Credits:
    Of course - the more the merrier!

I also feel this does pertain to why the movies in their current state are so flimsy, since several of the same problems are present (I.E. Unicron as Earth is actually a really goddamn awful idea).

• Like Like x 3
  13. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

The main reason spiderman was rebooted quickly is because of the sony deal with Disney, so they could drive on the mcu success. And it worked. I doubt they would have done if no deal was made.
    Its incomparable with a potential TF reboot.

If hasbro is smart, they would work on a cartoon and video game tie in. If successful they could use such a story line for a future movie reboot.

On the bee movie, i don't have any opinion yet, will see it at one time.
    But i find the stupidity of the release date hilarious. And heads should role since it's obvious with the positivity around the movie that it have potential to salvage a dying movie brand

• Like Like x 1
  14. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

I didn't expect much from prime, and it went beyond my expectations.
    When the stories from episode to episodes is compared to earlier serials. It's not far away from the same lack of quality. And have the same strong start but weak end as almost every other series, due to a sudden dissappearence of new ideas.
    But it was enjoyable like the series prior to it.
    That said, the best series in my opinion never got a proper ending. Animated

15. Mirage00

Mirage00 Master of Hiding

While I do agree that Bumblebee is shoved in our faces and I wish other characters got the spotlight, I wouldn't want it to fail, 7 months ago I did but they have a chance to bring the Transformers we have all wanted to the big screen. The problem is that bay fatique has set in and the audience are worn out, it's a shame cause Bumblebee was a really good movie.

16. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    what was your issue with the insecticons? was it how they were randomly a generic subspecies of transformer? or how the only named one was barely more than a palette swap?

17. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm with you there @Aimless Misfire . Why focus on Bumblebee. I want my goddamn Trench solo movie and I want it now.

18. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    (Fixed)I like this one.

19. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

yare yare daze...

20. LTprime98

LTprime98 Well-Known Member

Damn , I was going to reply to him , but you pretty much summed it all up :D 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.