Why aren't you collecting Masterpiece figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HotRodDidNothingWrong, Mar 1, 2021.

?

What is your main reason for not collecting any official Takara Masterpiece Figures?

1. Aesthetics

75 vote(s)
    30.1%
  2. Complex Transformations

56 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Scale

47 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. QC Issues

111 vote(s)
    44.6%
  5. Price

214 vote(s)
    85.9%
  6. Character Selection

78 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Availability

20 vote(s)
    8.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    It wasn't cost savings, it was a different factory, and paint and plastic that didn't react well, and that made the plastic brittle for many people. Still not an excuse for this whole drama. I can understand why people dropped out of the Masterpiece line after what happened with Hound. I hope they rerelease him one day, but then with proper plastic and paint.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I think they should've gone the MP-1/MP-4 route with MP-44, so release him for less without a trailer and for more with a trailer. (They did reissue the G1 without the trailer too at Walmart. But no option to buy him with trailer though.) It could've kept costs down for those who don't care about the trailer. I like the trailer myself and I would've bought MP-44 with trailer if we would have two options, but I'll be honest, it's standing unused on a shelf at least half of the time.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Scobster

Scobster New Member

Ebay:
    Yeah agreed on the re-release, I don’t think I would think twice about picking him up again. I understand what you are saying about the paint and plastic reaction, but let’s be honest, there isn’t an approved paint spec out there that hasn’t been tested against a range of materials both mechanically or chemically prior to release. You are probably right it may have just been a mistake, but someone, somewhere down the line approved it. Whether an oversight or a commercial decision we will never know. Cost a lot of us in the end though.

• Like Like x 3
  4. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been priced out with rare exceptions, sadly. Especially now. And those I would have saved up for anyway as one-offs, such as MP-44, ended up having issues (the knees) widespread enough that I couldn't justify the risk of the investment personally.

Make no mistake, though. I still think they're all brilliant without exception, personally. And will, every now and then, grab one anyway (such as the most recent Bumblebee which I love and felt was worth it.)

• Like Like x 2
  5. DMSR35

DMSR35 Member

They are great figures and a welcome addition to the product line up and I will probably own a handful sometime in the future. However, as mentioned many times in this thread the big and popular characters get redone constantly (understandably), so I couldn't justify testing the waters as a new person to the segment. With my limited understanding and experience, it appears at a glance to be mostly G1 and movie figures.

Personally I'm not big on the G1 stuff and I know they won't make masterpieces of the various more "recent" animated series (for yet again obvious reasons) excluding Beast Wars. I grew up with Transformers Animated and in my opinion almost all of those Hasbro toys were masterpiece level screen accurate with the Takara toys going a step beyond.

Though not necessarily the same thing or in the same league, as a fairly new collector I'd also look at the RED lineup. For the price and intention, and despite its own issues, it seems to be doing pretty well on achieving the look of the characters.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wasatchatron

Wasatchatron Well-Known Member

I got MP52 and Newage Shockwave in the same week. While 52 is awesome I find myself more excited over the newage Shockwave. Legends (these Newage figures specifically) got me thinking hard about selling my MPs. They're more durable, funner to mess around with, harder to break, take up much less space and look amazing. Newage starscream and megatron aren't that far off of the MPs in my opinion (all of which I have) in terms of look and I can transform them all day long without my blood pressure going through the roof. Again I'm sitting here with 52...a beautiful figure no doubt, thinking dang, was this really worth $300.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I agree that Newage is churning out some fantastic stuff. It amazes me how they manage to achieve such great proportions in such a small scale— many look better than the MP-scale figures that have many more engineering options with joints and panels.

My problem with NA is the cost. I’ve been collecting MPs/3Ps since long before prices skyrocketed, and when I consider that tiny NA toys are more expensive than some MP KOs, I get sticker shock. I’m not saying they’re not worth it (I’ve purchased a couple), but I don’t think I can bring myself to legitimately start collecting them. If I had never started with MPs/3Ps years ago, then maybe.

Example: as temptingly awesome as Scaramanga is, I find myself more likely to buy a Soundwave KO.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wasatchatron

Wasatchatron Well-Known Member

Scaramanga is built like a tank. Mp13 however is one of the MPs that I would never sell.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    According to one story from the Secret Inside Sources Club, it was some sort of anti-KO effort, where they had the parts made in one factory and assembled in another.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

For me, the earlier MPs, from MP-10 to MP-21 (the Hasui MPs) were what I was looking for. They were striking a balance between the realistic vehicle modes, the cartoon models and the toy models, at premium but still affordable pricing. As the line chugged along from MP-22 to MP-36, I found myself buying fewer figures and balking at the slowly rising prices. For me, MP-39 and MP-41 were the turning point. Sunstreaker's style was entirely the cartoon aesthetic, and he doesn't look at all good with his brother on my toy shelf, or with most of the other MP Autobot cars I own.

Add to that the fact that I really don't see how basing a figure on a simplified, more animation friendly look was an "ultimate" look for a character, it's made Sunstreaker my least favorite MP that I own. Dinobot was just too damn expensive to pick up, especially since I knew what that would mean for BW Megatron's pricing. The QA problems I heard about with Hound were just confirmation that I made the right decision in dropping the line before him. Every thing they release now, like the third version of Optimus at $400+ just makes me miss the line less and less. I'm happy for all of you that are looking for that in your MPs, but that's not what I'm looking for in MPs.

• Like Like x 7
  11. HazySaiyan

HazySaiyan I can quit anytime I want!

I do have MPs in my collection but tbh I can see myself buying them less and less. I actually really like the toon aesthetic as of late but the price hikes combined with the divebomb in quality is an absolute slap in the face. Paying £250 for a toy is hard sell as is without them coming broken out of the box. Kinda sick of them packing a bunch of pointless shit I’ll never use just to justify price hikes as well.

Takara have been really taking the piss lately.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    @Deadboy, a small sidenote, Optimus Prime (MP-44) was less than 300 USD when bought from Amazon Japan.

13. gibdozer

gibdozer Love Gun

My issue is while legends look great they don't deliver on many levels.
    Basically my exact issues with MP. My big turning point was MP Shockwave. While I'm not dissing the figure(he's good) I feel like my C9 Quakeblast was superior in every way in hand. I still have Quakeblast and MP Shockwave was sold off long ago. I definitely think they are achieving better cartoon accuracy, but that's not at all what I want.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I don't think the quality went down. There were plenty of issues with the MP-11 mold for example, the feet of MP-13 scratched easily, don't forget the chrome issues with various Masterpieces. The prices did go up, but so did the parts count, the amount of paint. For which Masterpiece did you have to pay 250 GBP? I paid 20 euros more for MP-52 than what I paid for MP-11, and I have less issues with the first than I did have with the latter, so that 20 euros increase is well spent. But yes, the prices are high and for the amount of money spent, I would expect less QA issues. :(  Having said that, I paid almost 30 euros for the deluxe Cyberverse Bumblebee for one of my sons. Bumblebee couldn't standup anymore after about one week, that's how loose his legs are. Still need to fix that with some HG/Future floor polish... But these issues are not only found in the Masterpiece line. Do we need to accept this then? No, we shouldn't and we should continue to mention it for all lines. But it's not new and it's not limited to the Masterpiece line.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HazySaiyan

HazySaiyan I can quit anytime I want!

MP-52 is currently going for £230 on Kapow, MP-44 was £380(!).

Yeah no toy is going to be 100% perfect but you don’t expect something like Hound to just crumble apart, especially at the price, and I certainly don’t expect the issues MP-52 is having. Quality issues are unacceptable for any toy line, it’s downright taking the piss at this price.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

THIS. Feeling lots of agreement here.

With the exception of Cordon, my MP interest ends with MP-30, and Ratchet is honestly a bit too cartoony for my liking, but the original toy doesn’t provide much alternative inspiration so I give him a pass. Inferno and Grapple are brilliant in their engineering but are aesthetically bland as hell. MMC’s Backdraft and Girder have the designs I prefer. Beyond 30, the toys just miss the mark for me.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  17. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Maximum blast!

Not to nitpick, but MP-44 was £365 on Kapow. I believe that was actually the sale price without shipping but something is telling me that was my total. Bit much but
    for the main characters like Optimus, who comes with a trailer as part of his character I very much feel I paid fairly for what I got. Even though Starscream is a main character, he shouldn’t have been over £200 and that’s pushing it. I had very minor paint QC with Optimus and mine has the floppy hips but other than that I’m very happy with him. I couldn’t bring myself to get Starscream, especially with no waist swivel!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Moonminer

Moonminer Moonminer

I got Cordon and they switched out some of the toon stuff and he looks instantly better as a toy. Too bad sunstreaker didnt get the same treatment. Its genuinely sad how they changed the line halfway through to mismatch the aesthetic of it originally. Theres improvement and then theres turning the whole line upside down and its the latter. The only MP style I get nowadays are ones that have realism to them or take inspiration from multiple aesthetics to make an interesting figure. However the beast wars MP look incredible but I settle for KO due to pricing.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't know what world an Optimus that comes with his grey box full of nick-nacks costing $500 USD is considered a good price, but value in the eye of the beholder I guess.

• Like Like x 3
  20. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Maximum blast!

People complain when Optimus doesn’t get that grey box full of nick-nacks either. I know most MP collectors don’t want/have space for said box, but does he ever show up in the cartoon without it in truck mode? I think that it’s actually a necessary addition to any Optimus release, especially a Masterpiece. You don’t pay the $500 for the accessories alone either, it’s the engineering and paint mostly. MP-44 has plenty of that.

Totally get the appeal of a release without it, but the “character tax” is definitely a thing and they saw that people will pay for the trailer. I personally don’t think I’d have been as interested without it but that’s me.

Spike, Carly and Sparkplug along with the Jetpack and Starscream head are definitely just adding to the price though. I like the figures but that’s what they’re there for.