Why aren't 3rd parties able to make knockoffs of other 3rd parties?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Alph, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Is it just lack of incentive, or is there some practical barrier that makes it so they can't? Like, why doesn't another company just copy Maketoys' Downbeat, or Gigapower's Dinobots, or whatever? Since the figures are unlicensed in the first place, there shouldn't be any risk of repercussion, so why isn't anyone doing it?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    They do and have.

• Like Like x 21
  3. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    It happens quite often.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As for why the specific examples you've listed haven't been knocked off, my guess is money. To reverse engineer a figure and create molds for it costs less than R+D'ing a figure from scratch but it still costs money. If the demand for a figure has mostly been satisfied, there's just not enough money in it for a KO company to produce a copy. I assume you mention Downbeat because he's scarce now, and the Gigapower dinos because at least some of them are scarce and the originals can be pretty pricey. Downbeat wasn't particularly scarce for a while and there are three other MP Jazz figures out there so there's no guarantee they'd sell enough to make their money back. The Gigapower dinos mostly aren't scarce either, though there are some, such as the chrome Grassor and I believe one or two of the metallic versions, that are a little more difficult to find, and they often sell for as little as $160 so a KO company would have to produce something of similar quality and they'd probably need to bring the price down to around $100 to compete. I'm sure that would still be enough profit if they could sell a decent sized run but, given the number of MP dinos already out, I think they'd still have a hard time selling enough.

Fanstoys would seem to be a more tempting target since they do such small runs of all their figures, but they've also been more aggressive in defending their figures, promising to cut off any store that sells knockoffs of their products. Since most any store that would be in the market needs Fanstoys' products to stay relevant, this has had a chilling effect on the KOs. Or rather that's the rumor - there was supposedly a KO company that was going to start in on Fanstoys but they seem to have disappeared.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  5. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    I hope they KO you next for asking that!!!

Now where is my improved KO MP Optimus v3 and MP Hound???

• Like Like x 7
  6. UtahRobotInDisguise

UtahRobotInDisguise Herald of Utahcron

News Credits:
    There have been numerous Generation Toys and Dx9 KO's and a few Maketoys KO's... but rumors on Asian boards are that these were "authorized" KO's. Remember that the 3rd party & KO scene is actually very tiny. There are a tiny number of designers and an even smaller number of distributors and factories. There is a lot of inbreeding and resource sharing between the groups. That's why you'll see a Fanstoys prototype in the background of an XTB product shoot, or vice versa. I'm sure Fanstoys used their clout to tell the KO groups that if they ever want to make a single yuan again, they'll stay away from Fanstoys products.

Not a big ask, honestly, since Hasbro/Takara has made hundreds of products that require fixing from the KO groups to make better products that sell for many times more than what they cost.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Lazerlips

Lazerlips Well-Known Member

This looks an awful lot like xtransbots breakdown to me. I wouldn't mind some genericons or bots, but don't tell me it's supposed to be sideswipe.

Yes Model BBQ-03 MP12 SideSwipe Lambor

8. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

Some are done. There are 3rd party combiner KOs of Gravity Builder, MMC Feral Rex, Maketoys Guardia, etc... I have high quality KOs of Maketoys Hardhead and Chromedome, which feel like they could be legit MT figures they were so well made.

But, generally, there isnt THAT big of a 3P market and KOs always come out much later than legit versions. So most people that want them already have them or moved on to something different. It's a diminishing demand. If you like MP or 3rd party TFs, cost probably isnt keeping you away, so a lower price wont equal a much bigger demand.

For instance, I liked Guardia, didnt like the almost basic-sized limbs of him and Computron. By the time the oversized KO came out of Guardia, I was more interested in the GT Defensor, which has better bot modes and vehicle modes (but a worse combiner mode).... and most fans have moved past that scale entirely and want combiners that are 2 ft tall (I'm not a fan, that seems to be.too big. A stunticon limb shouldnt be Megatron's height and twice of Prowl's)

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was a straight rip of XTB Breakdown. Supposedly that's why Crackup released at loss-leader pricing, attempting to wrest attention away from the stolen toy.

10. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Because of the HAT principle.

What's HAT?

Honor Among Thieves.....

• Like Like x 6
  11. byronicbluez

byronicbluez Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I just assume because everyone in this manufacturing game knows everyone else. It's better to show up the competition than rip off their stuff. Maybe Zeta cause they really hate Toyworld.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hawkwave

Hawkwave Well-Known Member

Honor, integrity, pride... or they just have a second company name so they can hide their KOness from the world.

13. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    It does happen. I own some (knowing they're full on KOs).

14. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I wonder if Hasbro will ever knock off a third party toy and make it official...

• Like Like x 2
  15. Megawillbot

Megawillbot Well-Known Member

Brand image.
    Third party companies often do make knockoffs, but under a different name

For instance, Transform Element is Aoyi Mech’s division for original moulds

And when Wei Jiang steal from 3P, they use an alt brand as well I think

16. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    They already blatantly copied WJ’s M-01 commander for their legendary Optimus, so most likely have already.

• Like Like x 2
  17. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    its because kfc keith owns all 3rd party's !! :p 

18. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At legends scale, the majority of Mech Fans Toys output has been KOs.

19. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    "Honor among thieves"?? LOL

I would imagine that they choose smaller brands in case they want to avoid any bad blood. You don't see FansToys KOs, probably because they're top two in the 3P market and have some muscle to flex in case any KO Co decides to KO the their figs.

20. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Some people here still don't get that blue text sometimes means SARCASM.