Why are we hating on Transformers 4? (already)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by fallen_revenge, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I suppose it depends how they saw the movie. If they're out there on opening night and bought a ticket, then yeah, I don't really understand that. Personally I waited and picked all three movies up on DVD for like £1 each at car boot sales. I also know some people that waited and watched them when they aired on television. If someone is able to see the movies for very little cost or for free (and I don't mean downloading them) then really it's just time spent watching and so casting an eye over a BayFormers movie even when you don't much like them is very little effort and shouldn't come under criticism because they watched them even though they're one of those nasty 'hatorz'. Me, I really only watch them for the effects now since I know the story is going to be lacking. I hope for more and there are some aspects I have found I enjoyed when I thought I wouldn't, like Wheelie and the Twins for example.
    But everyone here is a Transformers fan and although some will definitely avoid BayFormers like the plague, many will still see it at least once in some way just because it's part of the overall Transformers franchise. That and you can't properly slam something unless you've actually seen it. :p 

2. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Im not looking forward to the fourth movie because Bay can't even give Megatron and Optimus a great battle. Because ROTF and DOTM both were horrible at building excitement, and even worse at ending the movies... They just plop at the end.

If a director cant even give the main antagonist and protagonist a great final faceoff, he's failed. Batman and Joker had a better final fight than Megatron and Optimus, and most versions of the Joker cant fight, while Megatron was Cybertrons protector and greatest gladiator.

If a director consistently flubs the small details, how can we get excited? Action can only carry a movie for so long. The action becomes pointless without tension and concern for the characters. I dont care about the characters, the differences between the bad guys and good guys are only visual... They all act the same. Characters die, with no fallout. Not to mention the director seems to think his version of the franchise is best, and all other versions suck.

I keep hearing this one will be different, but ive heard that twice before. "We're going smaller, more character driven", then you add in a useless driller, and a fan favorite character you so grossly underuse, that we wonder why he was even included.

Track records count. Consistent lies and unfulfilled promises from the.production team gives me no reason to be excited. When they actually follow through and deliver, call me. Now they just talk a good game to put butts in seats.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I guess I just know a strange mix of people because I've hung around people that totally loved the movies, but I've also hung around people who hated the movies so badly they could put the worst "hater" to post in the movie form to shame.

If we are going for king of the franchise I'd have to say that G1 still has a death grip on that title. During the film release you see loads of movie t-shirts around, but most of them are worn by kids. It seems like once the movie hype of new release has worn off that the only Transformers t-shirts you see people wearing are G1 style t-shirts.

Or even toys suggest that the film franchise just doesn't have a strong grasp on people any more. The first movie stores couldn't keep the movie toys on the shelves and parents were almost at the point of fist fights to get Bumblebee for a Christmas present for their kids. The Dark of the Moon toys ended up with a canceled wave in the US because retailers just couldn't get rid of the movie toys even with holiday and post holiday discounts.

I'm not saying the movies didn't have an impact, but I'd hardly call them the king when Transformers Prime and War for Cybertron seem to have taken over the franchise right now.

4. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Honestly, in spite of my mixed feelings on the movies as a whole, I do think that for kids growing up with the movies now.....it will be comparable to how G1 is for the older generation. I think the movies made a large enough impact overall. Obviously, there's no way to know now, but for those saying the movie toys will never be worth much or things similar to that - I think they could be in for a surprise.

Transformers: Prime (and WFC/FOC) I'm less sure about having any true lasting impact.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:

see also: People who see it with friends/fellow fans as a community activity, people who see it because there's nothing they'd prefer to see at that time, people who see it out of that sort of morbid fascination (like staring at a car crash), people who saw it because they think it supports the brand, people who saw it with their kids, people who saw it as part of a double/triple bill, people who won tickets, etc. etc.

6. Ash from Carolina

Long term I'm think that the Transformers movies will be more like Independence Day than anything else. People packed the theaters to see the latest in special effects, but there isn't anything special in the story or characters to make them stand out once the new of the special effects has worn off.

The movies managed to bring some of the top special effects in the business to Transformers but there is nothing special about the characters or stories.

Long run I think we need something like kids latching on to characters such as Bulkhead in Transformers Prime than we need wasn't it cool when Prime killed what's his name in one of those films. Just look at a decade like the 80's. Loads of movies and an overwhelming number of cartoons for kids, but the only films and series that still stand out had something special going on with either story or characters. We remember Luke Skywalker but how many movie heroes have been forgotten?

Or think of this way. Back in 1933 King Kong was released. People remember King Kong because the story of giant gorilla who climbs the Empire State building with a pretty girls stands out from other films. In 1933 Cavalcade won the Oscar for best picture, but no one remembers Cavalcade because it's just another musical when Hollywood has so many musicals.

7. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Indeed. So in reality there are many reasons someone who isn't a fan of BayFormers would still attend/watch the movies in some way, and certainly not just because inside they're secretly a Bayfan that just likes to complain about stuff (although I suppose you can't rule that out in some rare cases).

8. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    ^ THIS

The bay movies, are NOT what we all wanted, NO. They are NOT amazing...(in peoples opinions) BUT..they also completely resurrected the franchise and took it to heights I don't believe it had ever had before. It's more widespread than just toys, and now sits in the top ten highest selling movies of all time.

The movies are NOT above critisism, but I just don't get why people go in expecting something they ARE NOT promising, and then complaining about it.

People that are supporting those who do NOTHING BUT complain, I bet, wouldn't say the same about their favorite video game getting trashed over and over and over..

The point is, you DO NOT have to like the movies, but when you KNOW the same director/writers are working on it, and you CONTINUOUSLY go see them expecting something different, I don't have to have a masters to refer you to ''The definition of insanity, is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results''

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say they completely ressurrected the franchise (it had been going strong from 84 onward, minus a few temporary hiccups), or that it took the franchise to popularity it hadn't seen before (I don't think it reached an omnipresent, juggernaut status like it did in 85-86), but there's no denying the movies were able to shine a light on TF and bring a nearly staggering degree of attention to the brand.

I also don't think many of the people who bothered to see the movies in theatres went in expecting garbage, even if they knew the pedigree. Hope springs eternal, and all that, and people like to be in a position where they can be pleasantly surprised. I also haven't seen very many instances of the kind of franchise criticism incongruence you're alluding to, but I'll admit I haven't really been looking for it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  10. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

This. A thousand times this. Fifteen years from now, I'm pretty sure that the Dark Knight will still be thought as the best Comic-Book-Movie ever made by some people.

Revenge of the Fallen however? People won't even know what that is. Because once the special effects wear off, the Bayformers are nothing. Nothing at all.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    :lol  Fucking thread one.

12. MandarinQuake

MandarinQuake Well-Known Member

How Transformers 4 will be the best

Chill out man! I'm sure Transformers 4 will top the other three films only if Michael Bay includes more trucks and bigger vehicles for autobots and decepticons and less cars.

This video I have here should have everything that will make Transformers 4 more successful

The Ultimate Perfect Transformers 4 Cast and Characters - YouTube

13. megapork

megapork Cheese

Bumblebee will flood the shelves regardless.

14. TNG Prime

TNG Prime TNG Prime IS a title!

I understand what you mean. I meant in my local area. I recognize that globally, G1 does indeed have that title.

15. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Every Bay TF has had hate.

16. Ash from Carolina

Or heck just look at the marketing for Revenge of the Fallen. The writers were on the boards assuring us that the second movie was going to be better. Micheal Bay as making statements about how the writers strike didn't hurt the film. Left and right it was pretty much people assuring the fans that thing would be even better than the first film.

17. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Off-topic, but Dark Knight is more an action movie then a comic-book movie (and in my humble opinion, not nearly one of the best movies ever). The directer actively tries to avoid being a part of a comic world.

The Avengers is the best Comic-Book-Movie ever. It knows its in a comic book world and loves it.

18. TNG Prime

Well, I did actually like it better than the first, along with just about everyone I've met in person with two exceptions.

19. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    That's where I often stand on most things. Expect the worst and when it turns out to be not too bad then it'll seem even better than if you expected something decent to begin with.
    It's never expecting to be invited to a party just because a friend is hosting it. Then you won't be disappointed if you don't get an invite, but you will be even more pleased if you do.
    Does that make sense? :p 
    You can pimp that video out in as many threads as you like (until the mods maybe consider it spamming) but that doesn't make your claim even remotely true.
    Be that as it may, after RotF both Bay and Shia came out and admitted it was actually a bit crap. Or are Bay and Shia your 'two exceptions'? :p 

20. TNG Prime

I meant people I know personally. The exceptions were my dad and a former classmate, though my dad still liked ROTF. Just not as much as the first. He liked DOTM the best.

Shia's a bit two-faced, or rather, in TF tradition, five-faced. The finger up your ass comment was terrible. He keeps switching what he says.

Bay's the same to a lesser degree, really, as a person. However, I think he only said ROTF was bad to convince people to like DOTM better. He never said a word against ROTF until DOTM news started pouring in.