Why are Transformers so human-like?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TFTheoretician, Feb 6, 2016.

?

What is your explanation for Transformers being so similar to us?

1. The just spontaneously evolved into looking like us, somehow

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Their in-world creators made them look like us for some reason

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. Transformers actually ARE the mechanical evolution of humans, for some reason

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. I don't think they are that similar to us!

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. They are meant to represent us in a metaphorical way and should thus not be taken to literally

30 vote(s)
    41.7%
  6. res? They look cool! Just enjoy them for what they are!

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Other (please specify)

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockdownTF

LockdownTF Well-Known Member

I personally theorize that Quintessons look so bizarre becuase they are in fact of some type of cybernetic lifeform. the egg like body we see is just a shell and on the inside you have the shriveled fetus like remains or possibly the brain and organs from when they used to be organic similar to a dalek why exactly they chose such body types? Maybe because it was similar to their original body? They for some reason prefer their multifaced tentacle forms or that design was simply most practical rather than have lots of delicate squishy organs sloshing around in a giant container with arms and legs.

As for transformers I think it's just because a basic bipedal body type is the most practical. but even then it's not necesarrily the norm. Lots of transformers either have or seem to prefer spending most of their time in beast mode. Sky Lynx Trypticon and most of the cassette bots have animal modes over robot modes. The dinobots and allot of other animal/monster alt mode transformers seem to prefer being in those forms over robot. Plus just look at the movies (I'd use other sources but I think their pretty vague outside of the bay films). You see lots of robots especially decepticons with avian or insect like features some look almost like demons or fairytale monsters in steel plus you see lots of things like reverse joint knees bird like feet extra thumbs on hands or fingers set up in some odd fashion plus one or two that have an extra set of arms and whatever the heck Demolisher is with his crazy cart wheeling unicycle body.

• Like Like x 1
  2. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    another question for me is the why do they need computers like Teletran 1 or such, they are machines, they are computers... I would believe that they would simply be able to connect to systems to operate them directly, so no controls would ever be needed for piloting a ship or such things.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    The same reason we need computers? To have something else do the work faster and more efficiently?

• Like Like x 1
  4. imfallenangel

News Credits:
    Trouble is, they are computers, and to do everything they can do, they should be very powerful and able to multi-task, a better comparison would be like putting someone with functioning legs in a wheelchair then asking them to go up a bunch of stairs.

"Plug" their minds into a ship and they can access all of it, navigate and maneuver above and beyond any controllers could. And before you go with "not enough memory" for all the starcharts, etc. Remember that poeple keep saying that they are immortal and live for millions of years... that means their memory has pretty endless capacity.

But if you're limiting what they can or able to do because their minds aren't "connectable" to anything else, then we get into the view that their minds aren't mechanical/programs but something else.

It's interesting to see how many perceive Transformers as one thing, but only if and when it doesn't fit the story, as we do see them connecting and taking control of devices on plot situation (same with a special power), but somehow lose that capacity when it would end the situation/story too easily/quick.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    Didn't they sort of rip off gobots and gundams?

Also, both tfs and humans aren't the only humanoid like aliens out there.

As far as thinking that way, well for one, they're an advanced social species and one could argue that advanced social species develop a lot of similarities to each other.

Primal- the need for socializing, safety in numbers, tribalism, pecking order, resources, shelter, territory, continuation of the species, (hence building new tfs and taking them to vector sigma, or finding ways around that, with the dinobots)

Other-developing commerce, trade and economy, entertainment, advancement in science, the arts, sports, law, architecture and central government, shifting views in ethical and unethical treatments.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  6. imfallenangel

News Credits:
    The easy answer is that they are from the Diaclone serie, so they were all piloted, so they would be made by humans to fight like humans in larger scale. So yeah, more like Gundams or Macross or any other giant robots. Making them "alive" was just a way to simplify and differentiate them at the time.

7. K2flygurl

K2flygurl Banned

But there are female Transformers. Also I thought people can be refer to other sapient beings. They do have love and parents. Wheelie had one. Quick switch have one and so do Lio jr. Relatives - Transformers Wiki. Mike Costa is wrong and should’ve done some research first.

• Like Like x 1
  8. K2flygurl

K2flygurl Banned

I assume they have very long lives because didn’t Megatron mention his spark fading? I’m sure he did. I guess it’s only in some continuities that they are not immortal.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

He's not wrong, he's saying that ancient alien space robots realistically wouldn't have these things, and so writers have to make up unrealistic reasons to give them those things (or approximations of them) in order to make them relatable as characters.

And whether they have things like parents or romantic love interests, as I said ages ago in a different thread, is inconsistent. Has been from the beginning. Whether they do or don't can differ from continuity to continuity, or within a continuity at different eras in their history, or even within a continuity during the same era depending on who is writing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Says who?

Not every computer can do everything. Transformers don't have unlimited processing power and memory, it's far more practical to have computers that can take up specialized functions that allow the Transformers' own processors to work unimpeded on bodily and cognitive functions.

Who are these people? Nowhere I've seen has called TFs immortal, and just because they live for millions of years doesn't mean they have unlimited capacity. Maybe the only reason they can function for millions of years is because they offload other processes onto external computers rather than use up their own memory and processing power?

The human brain is more complex than any man-made computer and yet we still have memory limitations and less power than our computers. A Transformers' brain is only so big, so what's going to be a better processor? A small, specialized computer designed to handle the complex functions of a living body, or a larger scale computer of the same caliber that can multi-function without needing to spare resources for keeping said body alive? (and this is ignoring how much of a Transformers' processor is devoted to their personality and being)

• Like Like x 2
  11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think Split Lip has already sort of addressed this, but really you could call ANY brain a "computer"... including organic human ones. Doesn't mean we fully understand how our own brain works, and what its limitations are.

There is some leeway here however... Transformers ARE aliens that are based on a technological metaphor. The language used to describe how their biologies work is all borrowed from (mostly 1980s) engineering and computing and manufacturing. So in that sense, we can assume that there ARE some similarities between a TF brain and one of their "computers".

But as Split Lip pointed out, computers aren't all the same. They have significant limitations based on how they are designed and built. You can't just assume that a TF brain can do everything that any computer can do.... not to mention, that still requires power, resources, creates performanc impact, generates heat, etc...

Not necessarily. In fact, based on how TFs are depicted in most forms of the fiction, this is definitely something the CAN'T do. Maybe some TFs might have those abilities, but not all. Take Prowl, for example. His bio describes his ability to "observe 800 moving objects, compute their probable paths of movement, and determine the proper countermove in .05 seconds." But that's something that only he can do. It's his unique superpower, much like a human with some kind of special talent or weird brain function.

Also a big assumption. There's no reason to believe that they remember everything they ever learned. There's no reason to assume their brain works that much differently from our own. There's a huge capacity there, but their way of accessing their memories can be flawed. There's always the possibility that information can be "lost"... if you wanted to give it a technological spin, you could say that they need to overwrite certain data because their brains aren't unlimited.

James Roberts even introduced the idea of "info creep" in IDW's Transformers series... the phenomenon of gradual decay and corruption of information stored as memories by TFs over the course of their long operational periods... which results in them misremembering some things, or forgetting other things entirely.

A pocket calculator isn't "connectable" to anything else either. It's still a programmed technological mini-brain. If we're talking Transformers, their brains might be based on a primordial syntax... a long-obsolete format that has never been fully upgradable or quantified. Compatibility might be something they've never been able to fully crack.

I mean, before we assume that they're unlimited magic super-computers, we might want to stop and consider how busted and idiosyncratic technology (and human brains) truly are a lot of the time. :wink: 

Inconsistent storytelling spread out over a panorama of different continuities tends to have that effect. :lol 

Yeah, if we can accept the idea of this weird, vague thing called a "spark" as the source of Transformer life and sentience... we can also accept that a spark might have limits, and eventually grow weak over time. In IDW, Megatron's fading spark might have been brought on by other factors, but he had an unusual spark to begin with.

And yet, I think that this is exactly what shows a lamentable lack of imagination or creativity on Costa's side... being incapable of even conceiving of other ways to integrate emotions or personal relationships (etc) into strange mechanical aliens with vague origins.

Well said all around :thumb 

zmog

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. imfallenangel

News Credits:
    Any computer can do just about anything, it's all about the programming. if we look at Transformers as actual robots with a robotic brain, then, they could simply have the starcharts and such on memory boards in the ships that they would access once jacked in. While they are jacked in, the ship IS their body, so that frees all of those function (of their bodies) to their secondary automated systems, Heck, no reason that their brains/head can't be removed for a while and them returned to the body after... I don't see an issue as I can easily remove the RAM, hard drive, CPU from one computer, put it in another for a while, return them later to the original motherboard and the computer will absolutely not care or miss a beat.

WHee.. ? in these threads, any of them that discusses their lifespan, and all those similar subject.

If they offload, them why do we bots that talk about that battle from a million years ago, etc. nah, that's a cheap bail-out. Please note that I agree with you, but I'm playing devil's advocate to how TF are "supposed" to be... and the conflict is that are they actual robots, organic metal, etc. that I know are all plot driven.

Most days, I'd agree with the size matters ;)  thing, but then, just sticking with humans, some are unable to function at all, some lack a LOT of abilities in many ways that someone else has skills that comes naturally, but the brain is the same size. Using myself as example, I can function doing several things, such as I can be working on two computers, several software open, while I get up to cook supper, take care on my kids or wife, while still thinking about a dozen things at the same time.. while I see some people can't handle a single item.

And we humans, like other animals, have "automated" systems that handles the heart/lungs/healing processes.. so I'll go with the same scenario here, and as robotic/computerized, they would be of very poor design to not have some redundancy.

These threads are fun/fascinating as I'm seeing so many sides, where some people see the TF as truly humanized, others that want them to be completely alien, others go with mechanical beings completely... so, I'm enjoying the different point of views.

13. imfallenangel

News Credits:
    I just responded in reference to all the points but this part is something that I can reply separately.

My point is this very thing, I absolutely agree, and my intention is to discuss the very reason of why Transformers are so humanized, and show that if they wouldn't be, they would be just that, interchangeable toasters....

Either they are machines with all the machines advantages and failings, or are something completely else.

It's a fun discussion and kinda part of my special project.

Just to provide my actual views to prevent confusion.

I have a very different "canon" concerning their true origins and just about EVERY problematic there is about Transformers, and while the Quintessons are involved, they aren't the creators. I'll stop there as this is a project that I'll be working on as soon as I get the chance and will provide on this board when ready.

But for now, here my point of view.

1) I do consider the TF to be built machines, with their "minds" being unique along with their skills for a proper reason.
    2) they aren't "born, nor can a new TF be magically created by a computer, matrix, or such. I'll explain their origins (in my view) once I get my project going.
    3) While they do have a built-in repair system that is able to fix SOME things, but external repairs are better and much faster, and absolutely required.
    4) their mind modules are very limited, to their actual robotic bodies and aren't computers are all but a processing system that incorporates their memories, values, personalities. To them anything that their bodies can do, is because it's part of them.

14. TransformersFanTheTruth

TransformersFanTheTruth Banned

Why are transformers so human-like??? What a dumbass question. Do any of you guys remember transformers started out as a damn toy line? They were mech suits that was supposed to be piloted by diaclone mini figures,Which obviously means they were built by humans which resulted them looking human in appearance. And which led the designs of the toys to be carried on to the g1 cartoon,comics and so on. See how stupid this question is and all of these pointless theories when the answer to it is engraved in THE BASIC HISTORY OF THE TRANSFORMERS BRAND? Smh

15. SMOG

:rolleyes2 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  16. TransformersFanTheTruth

TransformersFanTheTruth Banned

I already know I wasn't supposed to give the real life answer to this but what else would it be? It's the most logical answer to this. They just happened to look like humans because it's the basic part of there design. And even if you want an answer in the transformers fiction the answer can easily be solved with the quintesson or primus origin/lore. It's a dumb question regardless

17. SMOG

It's really only a dumb question when you give a dumb answer. Congratulations.

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  18. K2flygurl

K2flygurl Banned

Can’t argue with that. In real life, parenting, childhood and romance would not exist among alien robots or at least would be rare. Even the Transformers who do posses a parental/family unit and childhood happen to be in the minority. Those robotic kids on that planet that Unicron ate wouldn’t even exist in rl or in small numbers.

19. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    This was something I appreciated with the Bayverse, how the Transformers started diverging from humanoid. Especially the Constructicons and bike triplets.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I didn’t like that actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.